News John Olsen asked to be AFC chairman

Who should be the next chairman?

• Total voters
I'm not for or against him.

But the limited reading I've done, it just looks a fairly standard SA much to do about nothing. Happy to be proven otherwise.

I reckon these days, he gets a promotion 🤣

The Premier misleading parliament and a formal enquiry is not nothing.

Would fit in perfectly in our club's culture.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So if he's an interim guy then clearly we haven't found anyone worthy...... So Chappy lied about finding his successor.

You'd be hard pressed to find many people who like or respect John Olsen.

So if he's an interim guy then clearly we haven't found anyone worthy...... So Chappy lied about finding his successor.

Is this Chapman throwing Olsen to the dogs then planning to ride back in 2-3 years saying "see, I wasn't that bad?"

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The Premier misleading parliament and a formal enquiry is not nothing.

Would fit in perfectly in our club's culture.

Sure, if you ignore the report pointing out no deliberate intent, the fact the whole thing was just politicking then sure, terrible crime.

Moot point as hopefully he isn't there anyway, but his achievements still don't make him a terrible pick if it does happen.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

I don't think he will be. It doesn't make much sense to go from Chapman to Olsen.

Which I guess in the Chapman style means he's a shoe in.😂🤨

Sure, if you ignore the report pointing out no deliberate intent, the fact the whole thing was just politicking then sure, terrible crime.

Moot point as hopefully he isn't there anyway, but his achievements still don't make him a terrible pick if it does happen.

You're going to pretend the entire second inquiry leading to the Clayton report doesn't exist, and accuse me of ignoring things?

Clayton found he gave "misleading, inaccurate and dishonest evidence to a judicial inquiry".

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
You're going to pretend the entire second inquiry leading to the Clayton report doesn't exist, and accuse me of ignoring things?

Clayton found he gave "misleading, inaccurate and dishonest evidence to a judicial inquiry".
I'm not accusing you off anything. this is 25 years ago, it's literally a different millennia.

The allegations were denied in that report, but they got the report that they wanted and it ended there, it was politics, Now we have ICAC instead. (I would be keen to read it, but I can't find either full reports anywhere)

I'm not supportive of Olsen, I just don't think he'd as bad as everyone is going on.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
If the chairmanship is 70 hours a week then Chapman is doing it wrong

and 75? Seriously
I agree on both points.

It is absolutely not 70 hours a week. That's the kind of stupid exaggeration people make when they want additional attention for their efforts.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
That's why it's coming out on a Friday.

Good new Monday morning

Bad news Friday afternoon, then leave the office early.
They would think this is fantastic news.

We might disagree, but obviously the club doesn't otherwise they would give the role to someone else.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
The chairman’s job is to make sure that the board runs smoothly. Board meetings can get pretty heated and personal so in order for it to run well and to reach consensus on decisions you need a strong chair who preferably has plenty of experience.
im pretty sure Balmy would be out of his depth in that role while Olsen has a lifetime of experience in it.
id love Balmy at the club, but his role needs to be footy related, not steering a board through the maze of policies it needs to address like sponsorship, building projects, Human Resources and the like.
I always found Olsen a bit slimy as a politician, but have an open mind on him in this role.
Balmey needs a job, not an unpaid volunteer role.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Would be nice to know how many people here actually know why he resigned? Or is disgraced? Or
How many had to actually google him to know who he actually is?

No one worthwhile or with good judgement would actually want the fu king job, it’s a thankless turd sandwich that doesn’t even pay you for all the bullshit that comes with it.

At least Olsen has a record of somewhat competent public service and won’t be bothered about being popular.
There would be a thousand people in Australia who would want it and would be vaguely qualified.

There's probably a dozen of those who would be better than Olsen, starting with another greasy Lib, Christopher Pyne.

Not a bloke I'd go out drinking with, but would bring the same things as Olsen but more relevant.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I feel like there's been a half dozen things announced this week that Liberal pollies have done that was worse than Olsen - I wish we still lived in a time when that was enough to get you thrown out of politics.

In any event, it feels like a weird appointment. No relationship with the club, no obvious current business connections, no ongoing political relationships.

If it's a about getting closer to the SANFL again, I don't understand why that's in our best interest?

I'm not accusing you off anything. this is 25 years ago, it's literally a different millennia.

The allegations were denied in that report, but they got the report that they wanted and it ended there, it was politics, Now we have ICAC instead. (I would be keen to read it, but I can't find either full reports anywhere)

I'm not supportive of Olsen, I just don't think he'd as bad as everyone is going on.

Suggesting it was a merely political finding is a pretty significant slur on the integrity of Clayton QC, who went on to be a Supreme Court judge.

Last edited:

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
How is the board impacting on the ability of Nicks and Kelly to bring in quality assistants like Burns and potentially Balme? Outside of Roo I don’t see what impact the board have on the actual day to day running of the footy program. It didn’t impact our ability to make a GF in 2017 despite still having Chapman in charge.

All I care about is results on field and I think Nicks and Kelly are making positive steps in that area.

The board sure as hell impacted the 2017 GF campaign with their mismanagement of the Tippett saga.

We should have added 3 x 1st and 3 x 2nd round draft picks enteribg their prime that could have played - might have been enough to squeeze MacKay out.

So please don't say the board (at least ours anyway) doesn't have any say on the day to day running of the footy program. Ours had a massive impact and most of them are still there, unbelievable.

Last edited:

Large 1

Club Legend
May 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just Curious How many Boys clubs are there, and what is a requirement to classed as a boys club pick.
Reading BF it confusing, Basset is not regarded as Boys Club, would that be the same for Van Berlo or Thomo,
If we get Olsen it Boys club because he has had SANFL ties, Is Adam Kelly Classed as a Boy club due to his involvement with the SANFL,

I don't want Olson because I don't believe he up to the job, and I do not believe its a Boys Club pick. Guess I run in different circles,
Well said. I don’t think people know what boys club means. Just that it is a pejorative term.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
There would be a thousand people in Australia who would want it and would be vaguely qualified.

There's probably a dozen of those who would be better than Olsen, starting with another greasy Lib, Christopher Pyne.

Not a bloke I'd go out drinking with, but would bring the same things as Olsen but more relevant.

Pyne and Vanstone were a hilarious duo on Crabb's kitchen cabinet. I remember only 3 episodes, Pyne/Vanstone for humour, Shorten for bulldogs and Hockey for the story about how he made heaps of cash renting out rooms in his house to other members of parliament. Complete blank on all the rest.

I agree on both points.

It is absolutely not 70 hours a week. That's the kind of stupid exaggeration people make when they want additional attention for their efforts.
I find the people who brag about how many long hours they work tend to actually be lazy...

Back