John 'Sammy' Newman offers to be erased from the history of the Geelong Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which it is.

You don't think cancel culture is a thing? :drunk:

Come on, dude. I disagree with Newman on most things too, but let's keep it real here, the idea that an outrage mob will demand the club disassociate itself with Newman is perfectly plausible. To suggest otherwise is living in a fantasy land. s**t like that happens with celebrities all the time these days.

You don't think cancel culture is a thing? :drunk:

Come on, dude. I disagree with Newman on most things too, but let's keep it real here, the idea that an outrage mob will demand the club disassociate itself with Newman is perfectly plausible. To suggest otherwise is living in a fantasy land. sh*t like that happens with celebrities all the time these days.
You're going to need more straw.

I can't understand how people can get their knickers in a twist over a bloke being controversial who has made a very very successful career out of it.

Id say a lot of the successful stuff from the past would not pass muster now... who knows how much TV would not get on the tube

Its mad world

I see Sam as a side show in this, my concern is why the fu** do sporting clubs now more and more find a need to become involved in these social matters and even worse commit entire clubs to a view.Just worry about playing footy and staying viable.
Here, here.

Why the afl thinks it has to inject itself into all these weak social justice issues is beyond me. Just play the game and shut up.

It just gives all the weak virtue signallers an opening, and you give them an inch and they take a mile, moving onto the next irrelevant thing to cry themselves to sleep over.

Here, here.

Why the afl thinks it has to inject itself into all these weak social justice issues is beyond me. Just play the game and shut up.

It just gives all the weak virtue signallers an opening, and you give them an inch and they take a mile, moving onto the next irrelevant thing to cry themselves to sleep over.
The RWNJ complain far more than the “virtue signallers “ ever will , your posts shows that very clearly

It's Newman who has raised the prospect of removing his name from our records. Not the club.

I was far from a regular viewer of the Footy Show but my take on Newman was his role was that of a loudmouth exhibitionist whose 'acts' were designed to attract publicity for the show. I was never quite sure what was little more than attention seeking and what were firmly held views.

However, in recent times, he's become a version of Trump - who he venerates - and his public statements have become more and more preposterous. Some might say racist which might be the bit the club is finding hard to reconcile.

I hope we continue to distinguish between the footballer and the public assclown.

Not easy to navigate as he enjoys being the centre of attention and reckon he'd treat any requests to tone it down with scant regard. One thing I'm confident of it won't result in his football achievements being scrubbed. More a tut-tut, they aren't the clubs values.

You're going to need more straw.

See, the thing that's clever about this is that instead of saying "that's a straw man argument", FredLeDeux has made an oblique reference to the ineffectiveness of my strawman by saying "you're going to need more straw".

It's a creative way of repackaging a classic internet argumentation "gotcha" line and drawing the reader's attention to a logical fallacy I committed. :thumbsu:

See, the thing that's clever about this is that instead of saying "that's a straw man argument", FredLeDeux has made an oblique reference to the ineffectiveness of my strawman by saying "you're going to need more straw".

It's a creative way of repackaging a classic internet argumentation "gotcha" line and drawing the reader's attention to a logical fallacy I committed. :thumbsu:
Thank you.
But you undersell yourself, there wasn't only one straw man.
Which is why you're going to need more straw.

And that's a nice little piece of internetoric, suggesting that pointing out the illogicality of an "argument" is merely a "gotcha" line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still get confused with the concept of “erasing” history. Regardless of what the subject matter is, it either happened or it didn’t. And if it did - it’s part of history. Whether you like it or not, or it was wrong or right is irrelevant.

You'll find plenty of it around if you dig your way back up to the surface of Planet Earth.

Okay but since you're on the surface can't you just throw some straw down the hole I've dug myself in to? I can't reach it from where I am and it would save me a lot of time and effort if you just gave it to me. :)

The RWNJ complain far more than the “virtue signallers “ ever will , your posts shows that very clearly
It's like that now. I don't get the Snowflake thing anyway.
Like who would you prefer to get in a fight with?
A trans LBQT in St Kilda who's used to fighting they're whole life, everyone knows not to give them s**t or they go off their faarken nut
or one of those either skinny puncey, or short podgy guys off Sky News.
Anyone could punch them out.
They all seem like kids that got bullied and had no friends so just decided to be arseholes.

Are you intending to build even more straw men? :eek:

I'm building an army of them! I'm going to give them all teeny-tiny straw spades and together in our hole we will dig for all eternity. But they'll be okay with the lifestyle because I'll make little straw smiles for their faces to ensure they live in a state of perpetual bliss. :)

It's like that now. I don't get the Snowflake thing anyway.
Like who would you prefer to get in a fight with?
A ****** LBQT in St Kilda who's used to fighting they're whole life, everyone knows not to give them sh*t or they go off their faarken nut
or one of those either skinny puncey, or short podgy guys off Sky News.
Anyone could punch them out.
They all seem like kids that got bullied and had no friends so just decided to be arseholes.
It’s like choosing between Andrew bolt/Trump spoon feed toddlers...or as you put it someone who has been insulted and fought for every scrap of rights they have all their lives

not a hard choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back