Movie John Wick 3: Parabellum (2019). Starring Keanu Reeves. Opens in cinemas May 16. Check your local guides.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Probably cements itself as the best action trilogy of all time tbh.

Amazing considering where Reeves and the whole crew were pre John Wick 1.

There’s not a better first hour in action movie history than the first hour of this movie.

The library fight, knife/axe fight, flight to the theater, horse stable scene, Casablanca dog fight... just nuts.

Last edited:

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Probably cements itself as the best action trilogy of all time tbh.

Amazing considering where Reeves and the whole crew were pre John Wick 1.

There’s not a better first hour in action movie history than the first hour of this movie.

The library fight, knife/axe fight, flight to the theater, horse stable scene, Casablanca dog fight... just nuts.

Would argue that The Raid movies go close for pure action choreography, but something about the Wick character and universe that is a lot more rewarding.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe it’s nostalgia but reckon Die Hard 1-3 has it covered.

The first one (along with Aliens, T2, Predator, and the original Lethal Weapon) are def on the Mt Rushmore of Hollywood action movies.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The first one (along with Aliens, T2, Predator, and the original Lethal Weapon) are def on the Mt Rushmore of Hollywood action movies.
Interesting question; what is the Mt Rushmore of action movies? If you take out T2, Aliens and Predator as sci-fi movies, I think Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and Speed make up three of the four. John Wick is great but does it get the final spot ahead of the likes of The Rock, Con Air, Point Break, Taken...?

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interesting question; what is the Mt Rushmore of action movies? If you take out T2, Aliens and Predator as sci-fi movies, I think Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and Speed make up three of the four. John Wick is great but does it get the final spot ahead of the likes of The Rock, Con Air, Point Break, Taken...?

Taken doesn’t get anywhere near it.

Nor The Rock or Con Air.

Or anything else produced by Bruckheimer/directed by Michael Bay etc.

Point Break goes mighty close for me.

I think it’s far superior to Speed personally.

I think JW is different to die hard because die hard is a real rustic brawler type form of fighting. JW is like swan lake ballet, smooth moving and graceful yet deadly.

Nor The Rock or Con Air.

Mt Rushmore

Kill Bill (i personally not a fan of the movies but understand its place)
Predator
Lethal weapon
Face off?
Mad Max
enter the dragon
Road house
the crow
the dark knight
mission impossible 1
die hard 1

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mt Rushmore

Kill Bill (i personally not a fan of the movies but understand its place)
Predator
Lethal weapon
Face off?
Mad Max
enter the dragon
Road house
the crow
the dark knight
mission impossible 1
die hard 1

My Mt Rushmore.

(No particular order)

Aliens
T2
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon
Point Break
Speed
Predator
John Wick
The Raid Redemption
The Matrix

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Maybe it’s nostalgia but reckon Die Hard 1-3 has it covered.

Nope.

Die Hard may be arguably the best action movie ever, but doesn't have the body of work of these 3. Die Hard 2 is the weakest of all of the John Wick x 3 and first 3 x Die Hards.

I can't think of a movie franchise who's movies have gotten better and better from the first made. Considering the quality of the first movie, that's an amazing feat.

I've got absolutely no reservations about this team ******* up #4, they will go down as modern masters with this series.

I'm a huge Kill Bill fan, but I think JW II & III has eclipsed it. KB isn't purely an action movie though.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nope.

Die Hard may be arguably the best action movie ever, but doesn't have the body of work of these 3. Die Hard 2 is the weakest of all of the John Wick x 3 and first 3 x Die Hards.

I can't think of a movie franchise who's movies have gotten better and better from the first made. Considering the quality of the first movie, that's an amazing feat.

I've got absolutely no reservations about this team ******* up #4, they will go down as modern masters with this series.

I'm a huge Kill Bill fan, but I think JW II & III has eclipsed it. KB isn't purely an action movie though.

Where do you rate the last three Mission Impossible movies?

Up there for consistency as well for mine.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Nor The Rock or Con Air.

I love JW, but Taken kickstarted this geriatric revenge genre and had more cultural impact (the line ‘I will find you and I will kill you’ is world famous).

Also, a reminder, Mt Rushmore is just four faces; makes it that much harder to choose.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Nope.

I don’t think JW has gotten better with each film. JW1 still the best for mine, then 2, then 3 (so, seemingly declining with each movie). The thing is, each film has still been surprisingly excellent when people expected them to get noticeably worse.

Die Hard easily the best of the six, Die Hard 2 maybe the worst but where does Die Hard 3 sit? If it fits into third place, then it probably has JW covered.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don’t think JW has gotten better with each film. JW1 still the best for mine, then 2, then 3 (so, seemingly declining with each movie). The thing is, each film has still been surprisingly excellent when people expected them to get noticeably worse.

Die Hard easily the best of the six, Die Hard 2 maybe the worst but where does Die Hard 3 sit? If it fits into third place, then it probably has JW covered.

Most critics (including myself) have it the complete opposite way. I think the last 2 are clearly better than the first movie.

No.2 is considered a modern classic in action film making. Listening to a few podcasts a lot of people have either 2 or 3 on top, it's a pretty even split from what I've been listening to.

I personally have it as (And John Wick #1 is an awesome movie):

1. John Wick 3
2. John Wick 2

1. John Wick

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Would argue that The Raid movies go close for pure action choreography, but something about the Wick character and universe that is a lot more rewarding.

You will love John Wick 4 then.

The rumour is that Stahelski cast Mark Dacascos, a relatively B grade martial arts action movie type as Zero, because he is saving Iko Uwais for #4, with arguably the best martial arts actor in the world, in a final showdown style fight sequence against Keanu & John Wick.

Good lord.

Most critics (including myself) have it the complete opposite way. I think the last 2 are clearly better than the first movie.

No.2 is considered a modern classic in action film making. Listening to a few podcasts a lot of people have either 2 or 3 on top, it's a pretty even split from what I've been listening to.

1. John Wick 3
2. John Wick 2

1. John Wick

The dots....does that mean there will be a JW 3, 4 and 5? PLEASSSEEE :D

i liked 1 because its just contained in a small area with 1 storyline. Its in one place and nice and boxed up. Kill theon, that's it.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The dots....does that mean there will be a JW 3, 4 and 5? PLEASSSEEE :D

i liked 1 because its just contained in a small area with 1 storyline. Its in one place and nice and boxed up. Kill theon, that's it.

In fairness 95% of #2 is also in New York, he pops into Rome briefly. He isn't jet setting all over the place in comparison to a lot of movies.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

1. John Wick 3
2. John Wick 2

1. John Wick
Both the metacritic and rotten tomatoes scores aren’t that much different, though 3 edges out 1 on those scores. In my opinion, the violence in 3 went on a bit, it became exhausting. And it wasn’t self contained like 1. I also note that each film has been longer than the one before. Balls out action films tend to benefit from a taut running time.

Not disregarding it, I enjoyed it, but not as much as 1 and 2.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Both the metacritic and rotten tomatoes scores aren’t that much different, though 3 edges out 1 on those scores. In my opinion, the violence in 3 went on a bit, it became exhausting. And it wasn’t self contained like 1. I also note that each film has been longer than the one before. Balls out action films tend to benefit from a taut running time.

Not disregarding it, I enjoyed it, but not as much as 1 and 2.

The extended violence was purposeful.

It was designed to impart the fatigue of Wick on the audience, which is exactly what you have described.

The longer run time is purely the budget being about 5 times the original.

There some podcasts of Stahelski talking about the making of it which is worth a listen.

When you hear the background on the making of the dog scene and the sacrifices that Berry and Reeves as well as the dog handlers and stunt men had to do to bring that to life, it’s increadible.

They essentially had to spend every day for 6 months with the dogs in preparation for that 8 minute sequence. They had to find 6 dog trainers willing to take those dogs on,as when they are trained to attack like that they can’t be rehoused after filming etc because they are trained as full attack dogs, it was a 10+ year commitment for the dog handlers essentially.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The extended violence was purposeful.

It was designed to impart the fatigue of Wick on the audience, which is exactly what you have described.

The longer run time is purely the budget being about 5 times the original.

There some podcasts of Stahelski talking about the making of it which is worth a listen.

When you hear the background on the making of the dog scene and the sacrifices that Berry and Reeves as well as the dog handlers and stunt men had to do to bring that to life, it’s increadible.

They essentially had to spend every day for 6 months with the dogs in preparation for that 8 minute sequence. They had to find 6 dog trainers willing to take those dogs on,as when they are trained to attack like that they can’t be rehoused after filming etc because they are trained as full attack dogs, it was a 10+ year commitment for the dog handlers essentially.
I’m not for a second questioning their commitment or much of the result. But the extended violence wearied me as a viewer, which isn’t the same as imparting Wick’s exhaustion, particularly the first 20 minutes and the dog scene. A bigger budget shouldn’t automatically means longer run time. Tell the story in the time needed. I felt 3 was a little bloated, which made the decision not the end the story even more perplexing.

I’m not for a second questioning their commitment or much of the result. But the extended violence wearied me as a viewer, which isn’t the same as imparting Wick’s exhaustion, particularly the first 20 minutes and the dog scene. A bigger budget shouldn’t automatically means longer run time. Tell the story in the time needed. I felt 3 was a little bloated, which made the decision not the end the story even more perplexing.

extended violence. I have spoken to many friends who have seen the movie. They said it got boring.

Back