John Williamson's play/movie "The Club".

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was the era of John Wren and Jock McHale. but maybe I'm getting confused with the book "Power Without Glory" by Frank Hardy.

hotpie said:
I thought it was the era of John Wren and Jock McHale. but maybe I'm getting confused with the book "Power Without Glory" by Frank Hardy.
The book "Power without glory" was written in the Wren era because the book is about John Wren.
The narrative and the drug culture that is present throughout "The Club" suggests it was written in the 60's or 70's , most likely the 70's.

And David Williamson is the playwright , John Williamson is the country singer.

Of course its a piece of fiction so theres no reason why Williamson would not have drawn reference from a number of sources and historical periods.

I don't think the characters in The Club are real but I do think they are conglomerates of various real life Collingwood people with poetic licence thrown in. Very losely I think The president is Sherrin/McHale, the coach is Ros eand the recruit is Carmen/the WA guy who sparked the pay dispute with Thompson andTuddy who's name escapes me.

As for Power without Glory and John Wren / Jack West read this take on it:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/rewind/txt/s1209456.htm

The play was written in 1976 and was largely based on the Ern Clarke Weidemann et al debacle.

There may be historical resonances, but Williamson at that time was writing plays about situations and people who actually existed around him.

He was more or less crafting plays from creative Eavesdropping.

MarkT said:
That's the one. I think he died recently.

I also stumbled across this piece on the play if anyone is interested. PS it's David not John.
http://www.currency.com.au/preview/club.htm

Interesting that.

In 1980 when I did an interview with him he suggested that he loosely based the play on the shenanigans at the club and just wrote up the characters based on his eavesdropping and observations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayward he's hopeless - must admit he looked a lot fitter than he does in All Saints nowadays!!!

The Heywood marijuana incident was apparenty inspired (for want of a better word) by Brent 'tiger' Crosswell who played several games under the influence whilst at Carlton in the early 70's (I'm sure he wasn't the only one).
The replacement coach that was under consideration was the 'Ron Barissi' of the era. The existing coach was a 'Bob Rose' / 'Murry Weideman' charactor.
Like most writers, the inspiration/creative ideas are drawn from several different sources & or experiences, combined to form a pure fictional story, yet loosely based on real people & situations.

Has anybody seen the actor who played the Collingwood player - who was the leader of the group - in any other films??

Little bloke with curly hair who was apparently ageing as a player and was going to be put to the back pocket. His charachter name escapes me.

1980GFVideo said:
Has anybody seen the actor who played the Collingwood player - who was the leader of the group - in any other films??

Little bloke with curly hair who was apparently ageing as a player and was going to be put to the back pocket. His charachter name escapes me.
Danny Rowe was the character name.

I did an IMDB search on the actor, and was surprised to find he has quite an extensive acting history.

IMDB - Harold Hopkins

sherb said:
Danny Rowe was the character name.

I did an IMDB search on the actor, and was surprised to find he has quite an extensive acting history.

IMDB - Harold Hopkins

I did the same thing and was suprised with the number of films listed under his name.

They could involve very small film parts in films that hardly anyone sees.

interesting to know if you can live off that type of work.

We beat Fitzroy in the GF with Heywood winning the Norm Smith. Huzzah! ;)

But, actually, although we looked pretty set in that match at the end, they didn't actually show us winning the flag. And considering this was set in 1979-1981 we probably blew our lead in the last five minutes and let the Roys win the bloody thing!

For me the Heywood vs Tank O'Donohue best of 3 at training was a ripper, especially the way he dropped the ball to kick the goal - you'd reckon an actor who at least had football skills woulda looked better.

Doona2 said:
For me the Heywood vs Tank O'Donohue best of 3 at training was a ripper, especially the way he dropped the ball to kick the goal - you'd reckon an actor who at least had football skills woulda looked better.

Hey! What are you talking about? He kicked it from 60 and it sailed through at post height! ;)

Doona2 said:
Hayward he's hopeless - must admit he looked a lot fitter than he does in All Saints nowadays!!!

I'd hope he's not smoking some weed while he's operating, looks to me he's a better doctor then footy player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back