Rumour John Worsfold to coach Carlton

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Carlton's first choice, by an absolute street, is Paul Roos. Anyway, I doubt Worsfold would even be in the equation, even if the Roos ship has well and truly sailed.
Woosha back in his apprenticeship days was an assistant coach at Carlton before getting the gig as head coach at the Eagles. Also Teague was one of the assistants (defence from memory) at the Eagles at the same time so Woosha and Teague have worked together before so may not be as silly as it sounds?? Although think Woosha's family are back in Perth now, so not sure what the story is there but it could mean Woosha will be returning to the West at seasons end?

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
If the rumour is correct, that would suggest that Worsfold doesn't think the current Essendon team are capable of winning a premiership.
Alternatively Carlton may be offering silly amounts of money... but why you would offer that to Worsfold in 2020 is beyond me.

I also doubt that Mitchell would go to coach Essendon (or that Essendon would chase him)
Think I heard that Sammy must have been approached by somebody, but his response was "I'm not ready". Sammy is no fool and he will know when it's his time and my belief is he will take over from Clarkson at Hawthorn when Clarko decides to move on or retire??

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Woosha to coach Freo next year is gathering momentum in WA. Originally a Sth Freo boy and would team up with old mate Sumich again. Lots of calls for Freo to get some old school character back into the Club. Lots unhappy about the heart and soul being ripped out in the Lyon era which is kinda unfair considering he changed the culture and took them to a gf. That's what's going on behind the scenes tho. Woosha to Freo.
Wouldn't that be hilarious! Woosha and Sumich coaching against the side they both played for and coached. I know Suma has already done a stint at Freo but with the two of them there would certainly be something for the media to get their teeth into? I know Woosha holds Suma in the highest regard as apparently he tried to get Suma over when he started at Essendon.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
So Caracella is leaving the Tigers eh "seeking a new challenge" that to me speaks that he feels ready to be senior coach.

There is no guarantee that Worsfold will stay beyond his contract next season. Essendon has two assistant coach vacancies i can see Cara taking one and then taking over from Worsfold at the end of 2020

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Woosha to coach Freo next year is gathering momentum in WA. Originally a Sth Freo boy and would team up with old mate Sumich again. Lots of calls for Freo to get some old school character back into the Club. Lots unhappy about the heart and soul being ripped out in the Lyon era which is kinda unfair considering he changed the culture and took them to a gf. That's what's going on behind the scenes tho. Woosha to Freo.

Makes a lot of sense will be Worsfolds best chance to go home while still having a coaching gig.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Roos & Worsfold most over rated coaches in/out the system.

BOTH were lucky enough to be put in charge of 2 extremely talented lists. One had the best talent, the other had the biggest heart.

Teams falling over themselves to get these blokes on board thinking it's the answer to all their problems are heading for an even bigger fall. Head coaches are just a small part of a much larger team.
Melbourne and carlton have had just as much talent go through them.....

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
A lot of noise about the players liking Ben Rutten and club does as well.

If Worsfold does go Rutten will take over imo from all reports he would make a really good senior coach.

Got a link for any of these reports?

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Got a link for any of these reports?

Just my gut feel off this.

ESSENDON — Ben Rutten

Ben Rutten has been at Essendon for just 10 months, but he has already made a big impact. The All-Australian key defender spent the last six or seven years of his playing career developing his coaching with the backline, worked with Richmond for four years — including the 2017 premiership — before moving to the Bombers to bolster John Worsfold’s coaching department.

One insider said Rutten has been preparing to be a senior coach for more than a decade, picking the brains of rugby league coaching great Wayne Bennett and former Socceroos boss Ange Postecoglou. Rutten was a line coach at Punt Road but now oversees team defence at Essendon, where his growth mindset has rubbed off on players and coaches. He is studying his Masters and has impressed many inside Tullamarine with his drive to improve. If John Worsfold stepped aside tomorrow, Rutten would be in pole position to take the main gig.[/QUOTE]

Rutten (Senior Coach)
Caracella (Senior Assistant)

Can see this happening.

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
personally IMO, Caracella has been around a lot more than Rutten an been rather successful , Rutten is still young , i reckon Sheeds would go with Caracela first than Rutten as senior coach, but i have to say i dont think Worsfold will be going anywhere . he'll be there next year , however i think Caracela wil be the succession plan not Rutten

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
personally IMO, Caracella has been around a lot more than Rutten an been rather successful , Rutten is still young , i reckon Sheeds would go with Caracela first than Rutten as senior coach, but i have to say i dont think Worsfold will be going anywhere . he'll be there next year , however i think Caracela wil be the succession plan not Rutten

Would love Cara to take over. Definitely think there is a succession plan involved every chance Woosha wants to go back home weather it's this season or next year imo.

Back