Johnny Plattens SANFL Club in dire financial straits

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 5, 2014
Peramangk country Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
My SuperCoach team
With the shutdown of the SANFL due to COVID-19, Central District Football Club is in dire financial straits and is seeking donations to stay afloat. If anyone is able to donate you can do so here: https://asf.org.au/projects/central-district-football-club/ Donations are tax deductable.

Whilst Johnny Platten is Central Districts most famous Hawks player, others such as Jack Gunston, Ricky Henderson, Stewie Dew, Brent Guerra and Luke McCabe have also donned the red, white and blue.

Thanks.

With the shutdown of the SANFL due to COVID-19, Central District Football Club is in dire financial straits and is seeking donations to stay afloat. If anyone is able to donate you can do so here: https://asf.org.au/projects/central-district-football-club/ Donations are tax deductable.

Whilst Johnny Platten is Central Districts most famous Hawks player, others such as Jack Gunston, Ricky Henderson, Stewie Dew, Brent Guerra and Luke McCabe have also donned the red, white and blue.

Thanks.
Don’t forget Scott Lee, Russell Shields, David Flintoff and Rudi Mandemaker who were part of the John Platten deal

Don’t forget Scott Lee, Russell Shields, David Flintoff and Rudi Mandemaker who were part of the John Platten deal
Tell me more? Did they go to Centrals as part of the deal in Platts coming to Hawthorn. i remember platts taking the car from Carlton though 😂

Scott Lee (243 games) and Rudi Mandemaker (141 games, 475 goals) went on to become club legends, with Scott Lee just missing Centrals first premiership in 2000 - in which Dewy kicked three massive goals.

Shields played 44 games and Flintoff 48

I think Gunston played for Central Districts in 2010 back when he was playing for Adelaide.
Yep. IIRC he took a few telling marks in the dying stages of the 2010 Grand Final to shut down a fast finishing Norwood and secure a 6 point win for Centrals :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. IIRC he took a few telling marks in the dying stages of the 2010 Grand Final to shut down a fast finishing Norwood and secure a 6 point win for Centrals :thumbsu:
Just watched the final quarter of that Grand Final and in the losing side for Norwood was one Paul Puopolo

Hawks fans might be interested in watching Brent Guerra playing in the 2003 SANFL Grand Final, which Central Districts are replaying on their Facebook page tomorrow (Saturday) at 4pm (4:30 Vic time). IIRC the game was free flowing and played in perfect conditions, with Guerra kicking a goal and getting in the best players.

https://cdfc.com.au/news/2003-sanfl-grand-final-replay/

The club has been replaying our winning Grand Finals over the last couple of weeks and they have been great - lots of joviality and banter, which you'd expect when you know that you win the flag at the end! :trophy::beercheers:

Last edited:
I never knew Platten made a comeback with Central Districts in 1998, post-Hawthorn. Wiki says he kicked the winning goal in his first game back. Anyone remember this?

I never knew Platten made a comeback with Central Districts in 1998, post-Hawthorn. Wiki says he kicked the winning goal in his first game back. Anyone remember this?
Yep he came back for just the one season and did OK IIRC. He is still involved with the club (I think as an assistant coach) and is always there on match days mingling with the crowd and happy to have a chat.

Hawks fans might be interested in watching Brent Guerra playing in the 2003 SANFL Grand Final, which Central Districts are replaying on their Facebook page tomorrow (Saturday) at 4pm (4:30 Vic time). IIRC the game was free flowing and played in perfect conditions, with Guerra kicking a goal and getting in the best players.

https://cdfc.com.au/news/2003-sanfl-grand-final-replay/

The club has been replaying our winning Grand Finals over the last couple of weeks and they have been great - lots of joviality and banter, which you'd expect when you know that you win the flag at the end! :trophy::beercheers:

I enjoyed 2002 more SCF :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back