schmikhawk

Debutant
Apr 13, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Celtic
IFF... He chooses the hawks as his preferred club ( why wouldn't he) what do we soppose he will 'cost' us? Not talking $$$ picks & players etc

Don't know if he'd be moving to us expecting games. He'd be in contention with a fair few players for the final midfield spot - Langford, Whitecross, Anderson, Woodward, Hallahan.

It's going to be tough getting a game.

he was a pick 2, but i would say his value has dropped with his hamstring problems, i'm not sure how he has done at AFL or at the NEAFL, but his form there would also dictate whether he is worth more

i heard a rumour on the AFL site that we are looking into a 3 way trade where we give up pick 18 to the 3rd club, they give up pick say 6-8 and we get o'rourke and the third club gets jacksch with GWS getting pick 6-8 for them both........something like that could work?

Hawks lose pick 18, gain o'rourke
GWS lose o'rourke + jacksch, gains pick 6-8
3rd club loses pick 6-8, gains pick 18 + jacksch

with 3rd/4th rd picks exchange or something to smooth over the details

I guess in a way if he chooses hawks ( over saints) it will say a lot about the kids competitiveness...
As a member of Hawthorn, that is what i want.
Players who are willing to fight for their spot in the best team, not take the easy option of going to the bottom sides for easy game time.

A bit like Schoenmakers, telling Hawthorn he wants to stay and fight for his spot. After extending Lakes contract & signing Frawley. I hope he proves the doubters wrong

Simple:....Pick 19!...Get it done!

Don't know if he'd be moving to us expecting games. He'd be in contention with a fair few players for the final midfield spot - Langford, Whitecross, Anderson, Woodward, Hallahan.

It's going to be tough getting a game.

His disposal by foot is both elite & exceptional, therefore he has the capacity to play Back, forward & on a wing!....Has the game & the flexibility to play both inside & out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nothing less than our first pick is what GWS will want. forget about us being able to get him for 20-30 or something like that.

Rightly or wrongly, it's going to take our first round pick.....at a minimum

This.

Whatever we offer will be trumped by Victorian clubs that have more valuable picks

Pick 18 and Lowden would seem like a fair trade.
GWS in need of a back up ruckman with Giles on the march. Lowden has shown much potential, has 5 years development in him and raring for a go at it. GWS would seem like a perfect destination for his career.
Hawks get access to a young elite midfield talent that maybe won't be on offer at pick 18.
Seems like a win win for both club and player alike.

Pick 18 and Lowden would seem like a fair trade.
GWS in need of a back up ruckman with Giles on the march. Lowden has shown much potential, has 5 years development in him and raring for a go at it. GWS would seem like a perfect destination for his career.
Hawks get access to a young elite midfield talent that maybe won't be on offer at pick 18.
Seems like a win win for both club and player alike.

There would have to be something coming back our way.....at least a pick in the 50s/60s.

No way I want Lowden to leave, but seems inevitable......maybe we can loan him to GWS for a year.

I'll admit I know nothing about him other than that he was a pick 2. What sort of midfielder is he? Was he expected to go pick 2 or a surprise pick?

What is he like in the contest.....
I read somewhere he was a bit soft.
Any indication of that from what you have seen.

Most of my knowledge of O'Rourke emanates from his TAC year in 2012 prior to being drafted.....For best inside knowledge then suggest you go to the draft threads of 2012 & have a look back at his bios there....During his final year with the Calder Cannons, he led the club for disposals, uncontested possessions & was 2nd in clearances....At the Under 18's championships he ranked 3rd overall for Kicking effectiveness & first across the entire TAC cup for that year!....His disposal by foot is in the elite category!....Wins his own ball so is not soft, but needs to build his body as he still has a light frame, which is why he's been injured so often over the past 2 seasons.

If you have foxtel at home, then he plays the final 7 rounds of the season, so you can see him in action when the replays for those rounds 17-23 swing around, otherwise you can likely access them via You-tube replays!

Here's what Knightmare had to say about O'Rourke in his draft year!

'Profile: Missed most of the 2011 season with a hamstring injury but has come back hard in 2012 and shown us just how good he is. O’Rouke is a very explosive, highly skills inside receiver. He has some balance between inside and outside game but I wouldn’t consider him a master of either with limited inside ball winning ability and an average linkup game. Maybe not your most natural ball winner but he attacks the ball hard. Very good all rounder who stands out most is his ball use, particularly by foot which is just so good for an inside player. Finds targets consistently by foot, has some hurt factor and finishes beautifully around goal. Decision making ability good and chooses the right target more often than not. Is also a very good athlete and has great pace with the ability to burst away from packs and a nice leap on him. Very good in congestion and has that great decision making ability choosing the right targets even while pressured which is impressive. He is more your inside receiver who benefits from the work of the stronger, ball winning inside midfielders who can accelerate away from the contest and deliver to the targets up the ground by foot and this is more what I see his role as but not so sure that inside game ever develops and makes him into that Dangerfield explosive type inside guy who can win his own ball even though his explosiveness is just as good. One move I’d consider with O’Rourke is a move onto a back flank at some stage. 1v1 game will need to get stronger but with his elite pace and footskills he could become a real weapon off a back flank for a team.'

Last edited:
Can't say I've seen a whole lot of GWS games but the fact that he has struggled to cement a spot in one of the worst sides in the comp doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Anything more than our first round pick is overs, former pick 2 or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back