Ultimate Glory JON O'RAWK is now a Hourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Seemed to play HBF/Wing. Beautiful kick and good decision maker. Should develop into a utility type. Still scratching my head as to why he slipped to the rookie list.

same reason other rookie players make it and high draft picks bomb out, recruiters make mistakes, they are human and occassionally make mistakes, like everyone............also recruiters tend to follow where the hype is and that also leads to mistake in ID-ing talent (eg is like a movie thats overly hyped like Transformers 4, compared to the no-hype Edge of tomorrow) and yet 1 is crap and the other turns out good :p

Nah. Seemed to play HBF/Wing. Beautiful kick and good decision maker. Should develop into a utility type. Still scratching my head as to why he slipped to the rookie list.

Be interesting to see if the club takes the punt to elevate him to the senior list at the ND.

For those that haven't seen much of him since arriving at the Hawks, would Gowers make a useful comparison if we are talking about a tall wingman with strong hands but not blesses with explosive pace?

From the little I have seem of him, I saw a little bit of Mark Bayes in the way he seems to glide across the ground and a stylish and strong left kick?

People weren't sure when we grabbed Jedi. How good could he be?

I have faith in JOR !!
I also don't recall a single person being unsure about Jed. My recollection was that everyone was stumped and then over the moon that we were able to somehow get him for Stephen Gilham who was likely going to be delisted anyway. I think it's possibly that trade that put Graham Wright straight into the Hawthorn 'cult hero' hall of fame right between Ben Stratton and Matt Spangher.

For the people that have seen him play what will be the main thing he will work on over summer. Will it be his inside game or something different.

also recruiters tend to follow where the hype is and that also leads to mistake in ID-ing talent (eg is like a movie thats overly hyped like Transformers 4, compared to the no-hype Edge of tomorrow) and yet 1 is crap and the other turns out good :p
T4 was hyped as being good? In which universe???

in the same universe it made over a billion dollars in..............that one

and is by far the top box office profitable movie of this year

Profitability is not in any way an indicator of quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but it IS related to hype which I think is the point being made.

Fair point. A bit like how league fans use this years over-hyped grand final's subsequent TV ratings triumph as some glory, despite the fact that the production of the day was horrible and the game was one of the worst RL grand finals in a long time.

Profitability is not in any way an indicator of quality.

like someone said it is an indicator of hype/advertising..............

that is the point being made, recruiters can sometimes follow hype and not see the glaring flaws in a player, whereas a player might have no hype and turn into a champion at a later pick as recruiters have dismissed him because there wasn't much hype surrounding his abilities............(Willsmore)

Last edited:
like someone said it is an indicator of hype/advertising..............

that is the point being made, recruiters can sometimes follow hype and not see the glaring flaws in a player, whereas a player might have no hype and turn into a champion at a later pick as recruiters have dismissed him because there wasn't much hype surrounding his abilities............(Willsmore)
I agree completely with your point about hype not correlating directly with quality, but I think Transformers 4 was a questionable example. Just because the distributors advertised the crap out of it, that didn't mean it was being promoted as a high quality product. The media certainly weren't suggesting it was any good, and it's the media who generate the hype for potential draftees.

I agree completely with your point about hype not correlating directly with quality, but I think Transformers 4 was a questionable example. Just because the distributors advertised the crap out of it, that didn't mean it was being promoted as a high quality product. The media certainly weren't suggesting it was any good, and it's the media who generate the hype for potential draftees.

not always, most of it starts from within clubs talking up their talent, then filters down to recruiters, which then filters down to the media........nothing ever starts with the media, they're a bunch of wastes of space, parasites leeching off of others hard work if you will...........

Character, development, education, injuries, environment, luck, intelligence, maturity the list goes on.....these people are professionals not consumers, marketing is probably a bit insulting.

not always, most of it starts from within clubs talking up their talent, then filters down to recruiters, which then filters down to the media........nothing ever starts with the media, they're a bunch of wastes of space, parasites leeching off of others hard work if you will...........
Fair enough. I just didn't see 'hype' being something that you could attribute to a Transformers sequel (if we can agree that hype is generally deemed to be positive talk about something).

Fair enough. I just didn't see 'hype' being something that you could attribute to a Transformers sequel (if we can agree that hype is generally deemed to be positive talk about something).

from what i gather hype is the positive talk about something before it becomes critiqued or known, thats what i thought it was, after becoming aware of something, it would be word of mouth, not hype.............

For the people that have seen him play what will be the main thing he will work on over summer. Will it be his inside game or something different.

vfl grand final was a good indication of where he's at with his pros and cons on show. Great kick, smart, not quick and keener to run toward goal than away. Highlights here and you can buy the game, but there must be a free source out there?

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=31580028

Fair point. A bit like how league fans use this years over-hyped grand final's subsequent TV ratings triumph as some glory, despite the fact that the production of the day was horrible and the game was one of the worst RL grand finals in a long time.
Whaaaatttt...best since 2008...ARL tradition triumph over $L scum. A great result for rugby league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back