Rumour Jon Patton

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder not to cross the line, BF does have rules we all abide by regarding mental health issues and unacceptable comments and jokes. Feel free to discuss any topic reasonably but please think before you post.
And please stick to the topic only.
Thanks.

Last edited:

The online doctors are out in force.

What makes people think real doctors are easily fooled and go along for a ride on this stuff?

I’ll tell you two things about doctors which holds true for all of them - (1) they’re busy as * and don’t waste their time, (2) they’re very well paid for that scarce time they have, so don’t need to spend it “helping anyone out” for a paycheque.

If he’s pulling some “card” or faking an illness I’m very sure he’ll be told to GAGF by medical professionals (in not so many words of course). If we know anything about Patton from his published msgs, it’s that he’s not very bright. He’s not pulling the wool over anybody’s eyes.

So don’t worry about it.

What makes people think real doctors are easily fooled and go along for a ride on this stuff?

I’ll tell you two things about doctors which holds true for all of them - (1) they’re busy as fu** and don’t waste their time, (2) they’re very well paid for that scarce time they have, so don’t need to spend it “helping anyone out” for a paycheque.

If he’s pulling some “card” or faking an illness I’m very sure he’ll be told to GAGF by medical professionals (in not so many words of course). If we know anything about Patton from his published msgs, it’s that he’s not very bright. He’s not pulling the wool over anybody’s eyes.

So don’t worry about it.

Well said.

I don’t know this Coonan girl from a bar of soap, but given my reading of the screenshots, someone tell me on what basis did she decide to continue to speak to him after he asked her to have sex with him during a covid lockdown AND that he offered to pay her for sex?

She was already being disrespected by him at that point, and, by that fact, she herself should put her hand up about that aspect and tell younger women hey... as soon as a man disrespects you, drop them.

Overall, Patton’s misconduct seems obvious and undeniable but seriously, this woman needs to respect herself more, that’s at least the message I would tell to my own daughter (if I had one) out of all of this. There’s lessons to be learnt on both ends. I would also tell my son (if I had one) “always respect women, even when you think they are not respecting themselves.”
I see what you mean, but important to remember at the point in the conversation she has no idea where it is going to end up. For some, one disrespectful message would be enough to end the conversation (and I'm sure many have ended it right there with him). For others they may give it the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to him trying to be funny and it not landing. Important to remember her inaction of ending the convesation at that point is not grounds for what he did later

I’ll tell you two things about doctors which holds true for all of them - (1) they’re busy as fu** and don’t waste their time, (2) they’re very well paid for that scarce time they have, so don’t need to spend it “helping anyone out” for a paycheque.

So don’t worry about it.
I don't share your faith in medical professionals, they are as human as the rest of us.

Furthermore this is not sticking a thermometer in and measuring above/below 39 degrees. Mental illness diagnosis is not so black-and-white, hence the rush of skepticism here. In fact I think it goes the other way, no doc would dismiss out of hand a claimed mental illness because if they are wrong...better to be safe than sorry.

The other driving force here is Hawthorn Footy Club. For all the care they will give to Patton, they must also have an eye on the best outcome for the club. It's a given that Patton won't play for them again, but they will surely be engineering how to get Patton off their list and out of their Total Player Payments ASAP...where does 'Mental Illness' fit in this respect? How much longer is Patton's contract?

Firstly (not that it needs to be said, but to make it clear that his actions are not condoned or excusable in any way), Jon very clearly has an issue with the way he sees, speaks to and acts toward women. He should and will face the consequences for that.

But his hospitalisation should be taken seriously.

I understand people not wanting mental health to be some sort of shield for public figures (and suspecting it has already been abused multiple times) - I tend to agree. However I think this is one of the more clear cut cases we have been told about in the AFL realm for anyone who has been watching and has even a vague understanding of mental health.

The way he broke down mentally (and was hostile toward team medicos) last year after his injury is proof enough that he is on an emotional knifes edge when it comes to his career ending which for all of his sins, is something nobody should be surprised with given his potential/expectations compared to what has eventuated. He has very clearly displayed signs of mental instability through his actions in the last 12 months as a minimum.

Right now he would be thinking his career is over (and it likely is), on top of the embarrassment/shame from everything that has come out. It is not a reach at all to suspect he would be in a very delicate place mentally and for someone who has already displayed immature/irrational behaviour in multiple facets of their life, that is a scary thing.

I hope that Jon gets the help that he needs, both for his mental health and his behaviour towards women whilst also facing the consequences for his actions.

The other driving force here is Hawthorn Footy Club. For all the care they will give to Patton, they must also have an eye on the best outcome for the club. It's a given that Patton won't play for them again, but they will surely be engineering how to get Patton off their list and out of their Total Player Payments ASAP...where does 'Mental Illness' fit in this respect? How much longer is Patton's contract?
Patton is currently listed for 2021 and 2022.

Whilst I don't doubt the club will be exploring all avenues to have his salary removed from the cap, it wont be a huge issue for us.

For one, the list planning team have already factored in having to pay him for the next two seasons and given his recent output, him not being around doesn't change things a whole lot.

Secondly, with where our list is at and the rebuilding phase we are going through, it is already suspected that we have a large amount of cap space available. Even to the point there are discussions about us throwing huge contracts at free agents over the next two off seasons (with Patton still on the books). Given the capability to back end contracts and the need to meet the cap floor each year, Patton's salary over the next two seasons is far from a huge disaster. 2021 in particular is of almost no consequence to us outside of the fact its "wasted" money.

Again, I don't doubt that the club would rather have his salary removed from the TPP if at all possible but that would very much be on the backburner compared to the PR disaster this would be viewed as internally.

Patton admitted to hospital now, hope you feel good you self righteous prick.

Why would I feel good?

And why am I self righteous?

I consider myself to be quite an empathetic person. I don't take pleasure, misery or satisfaction in someone being admitted to hospital - but I empathise with them.

I empathise with young African kids that do stupid s**t, and I empathise with chicks that chat to a guy on an app, only to open it and see his dick. I also empathise with wealthy young athletes that get their dirty laundry aired in public.

I empathise with Trump supporters, and I empathise with BLM supporters too.

Doesn't mean I sympathise, and doesn't mean I agree with everything that they all do and have done - but I empathise. It doesn't mean that there should be no consequence for people breaking laws and doing bad s**t either.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, but important to remember at the point in the conversation she has no idea where it is going to end up. For some, one disrespectful message would be enough to end the conversation (and I'm sure many have ended it right there with him). For others they may give it the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to him trying to be funny and it not landing. Important to remember her inaction of ending the convesation at that point is not grounds for what he did later

I agree, especially with the last bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't doubt Patton is suffering quite severely at the moment. I think Patton can have mental health issues (and be treated for them in hospital) and he also can be criticised and treated by the law at the same time. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

A lot of people on here have never made a mistake in their lives it would appear. Mostly jealous and taking the opportunity to kick a man while down. He who has not sinned may cast the first stone

theres a mistake
Then there’s being a sexual predator

which one best describes this situation ?

So don’t worry about it.

I think the suggestion from the mob is that it's the PR machine pulling the card, rather than Patton himself.

'Mental health' is a very, very broad term. It includes stress. A 'mental health' day off work is common for most people.

"We can confirm that Jonathon Patton has been admitted to hospital to assist in the management of his ongoing mental health. We hope that Jonathon's privacy be respected at this time."

There's a big difference between mental health, and mental illness. And I think sometimes the PR machines out there purposely blur the two to garner sympathy, and I think sometimes the mob just doesn't know the difference.

I'd be shocked if his mental health wasn't suffering right now. Mine suffers when I'm hungover and I can't remember what I said to someone at a party the night before! Imagine this s**t happening!

Very different from a mental illness though. And I haven't seen anywhere where he's been diagnosed, or is claiming to have a mental illness. I could be wrong though.

And on a non-related side note, I don't agree with this part..
they’re very well paid for that scarce time they have, so don’t need to spend it “helping anyone out” for a paycheque.

Plenty of doctors (and dentists) that I know personally live in big houses and have boats because they literally sell medical services to people that don't need them. A huge part of the industry is purely about getting the paycheque by selling people something they don't need, or telling them what they want to hear.

Last edited:
Clearly this bloke isn’t fit either mentally or ethically for a professional sport career and should resign pending police investigations into his actions.

The victim(s) here are the people he allegedly harassed, not Patton and they should be the ones getting more support.

What police investigations? The Women have already come out and said they’ve done it to embarass him and to teach a lesson to youngsters coming through the ranks.

Mental health needs to be taken seriously, That's why we should move to a 4 day week 3 day weekend model.

mental health isn’t an excise or copout for serious misconduct. Very convenient timing for mental house. Clarkson should get to hospital and drag the *er out and get him to face the music. Payton careeris finished but it’s about finishing as a wreck or falling on the sword.

Clearly this bloke isn’t fit either mentally or ethically for a professional sport career and should resign pending police investigations into his actions.

The victim(s) here are the people he allegedly harassed, not Patton and they should be the ones getting more support.

also playing football is a privilege

Remove this Banner Ad

Back