Jon Ralph, Tim Kelly and the Curious Case of the 'no source' AFL Reporter

Max Caddy

Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Same way dusty and coniglio did, both got massive deals, both signed at the end of the home and away season. Reason this is different is he’s going.

In a perfect world, he probably wants to be based in WA, yes.
But can a deal get done the Cats will be happy with? That is the question. I think WC will struggle to get the required picks for a trade.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
I think some of you are missing the point of this post. Commentary around 'having a sook' (which is also unnecessary given that there is no ill will directed at anyone except Ralph), is misplaced.

I haven't posted this because I'm stamping my feet at the thought of Kelly leaving, I have posted this because I'm thoroughly aggrieved at a complete article being written with no substantiation. Then, when this article is refuted and labelled as 'false', there is no retraction or apology given, as it's already after the fact.

This is gutter journalism at its finest. You have a 'reporter' writing a story with second-hand information, that directly cites Tim and Caitlyn. To make matters worse, it insinuates what Tim thinks of West Coast, what he thinks of Fremantle and what he 'feels' about the situation as a whole. This is despite no credible information, source or even 'a reliable source/mail etc, informs me that this is how Tim and Caitlyn feel', comment.

This information is also released three days before our final, when we can ill-afford any distractions. It disrupts Kelly, his family, our club, West Coast, Fremantle and only seeks to aid those not involved in the process.

Also, to West Coast supporters, there is a possibility (as I mentioned earlier), that there may be some West Coast players put offside by the figures being thrown around by Ralph. I doubt that loyal servants such as Darling, Sheed, Barass, Sheppard etc. would be happy at the thought of a second year player coming to their club and earning more than them. This is why contracts are rarely revealed, and always speculated on.

There are so many different ramifications that emerge from 'leaking' this nothing story at this time, and there's nothing that's happened that seems to have brought it about. It genuinely is just an opinion piece, with poorly researched material, unforgivable errors and recycled lines from months ago. All patched together like some makeshift quilt that's fraying at the edges.

I repeat, I have no qualms whatsoever with Kelly leaving. I've expected it all year, and I wish him well if he goes. I suspect most Cats fans would feel the same. I do, however, have a huge problem with a piss-weak journalistic effort that seeks to put words in Kelly's mouth, alongside hypothetical opinions, that seek to do nothing except invite conflict and needless discussion about outside BS, when all he should be worrying about is this week's game. That is my issue.

The majority of the article was already pretty well known, I thought. I'm surprised Geelong supporters are so upset by it.
Why write the piece 3 days before the final? That’s my only beef. Cats supporters are resigned to the fact Kelly wants to go home.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Of course, everyone knows this.
But how much does it actually help get a deal done?
It helps as the cats don’t have the leverage of being able to hold him to his contract. He can always walk into the draft if the deal falls over as unlikely as that seems. The point being there will be some posturing back and forth however eventually the deal will go through and both parties will walk away content.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
That's what journalism is, most of the time. Presenting the 'the facts' in a biased light, covered in insinuation, suggestion and heresay to make you believe what they want you do.

Your not the 1st club that's had this happen during a finals campaign and wont bet the last, S happens, get over it.
I’m over it. In fact I was never under it. We’ve had over a year to get used to Kelly leaving

Max Caddy

Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
It helps as the cats don’t have the leverage of being able to hold him to his contract. He can always walk into the draft if the deal falls over as unlikely as that seems. The point being there will be some posturing back and forth however eventually the deal will go through and both parties will walk away content.

You are right - it's incredibly unlikely. There is no way known he will walk into the draft.

If a deal can't be done he will stay at Geelong.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
At this time may i say, Herald Sun+Rita Panahi, Herald Sun+ John Ralph and on and on. If we are believing the herald sun is a reliable, fair, honest newspaper then we are very deluded.
Even the AFL website has turned into a huge gossip column so it seems that we, as a collective, must really like gossip and tune into it.

Last edited:

Max Caddy

Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Do you think if he sees the cats playing hard ball denying him the chance to go back home he will re-sign with them?

Geelong did this last year, and it's fair to say he backed it up with a very strong season.

Back