Jonah Lomu 1975 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...nd-jonah-lomu-dead-at-40-20151118-gl1mjy.html

The rugby world is in mourning following the tragic death of All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu. The former New Zealand winger, the star of the 1995 World Cup, was 40. The All Blacks team doctor said it was an unexpected death, according to a report from New Zealand television station 3News.

Lomu battled kidney disorders since the end of 1995 when he was diagnosed with nephritic syndrome. He had a kidney transplant in 2004. Lomu played 63 Tests for the All Blacks

Despite his health history this is such a shock and after Jerry Collins earlier in the year this has been a bad year for the All Blacks on this front.

I'm not much of a Rugby follower but i'd just like to pay my respects to one of the greatest rugby players of all time. Even though I didn't watch much rugby I grew up watching him and always loved the way he went about it.

RIP Jonah Lomu. You will be missed.:(

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
It's so sad. Must have been very sudden as he'd just got back to NZ after being away for the world cup. It's not like he's been in hospital for weeks.

He was the first global rugby phenomenon and the biggest star the game has ever had. A freakish athlete and from all reports a very humble and nice man who did a lot of good for charity. RIP big fella!

Absolute superstar of the game. To do what he did at such a young age and fight through the illnesses he did while getting back on to the playing field is a testament to his talent and drive.

Way too early. RIP big guy.

Looks like his kidney failed. He was back on dialysis.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-waiting-list-kidney-transplant-when-he-died
It was unclear whether the illness had contributed to his death, with All Blacks doctor John Mayhew telling New Zealand’s TV3 that it was “totally unexpected”. But Lomu was on the waiting list for a second kidney transplant after the first transplant he received failed in 2011.

Lomu revealed in 1995 that he had been diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome and in 2004 underwent a kidney transplant to improve his quality of life. He managed to continue to play rugby throughout his illness, though he occasionally took time off for treatment.

About one-quarter of nephrotic syndrome cases are caused by focal segmental glomerulosclerosis – scar tissue in the filtering unit of the kidney, called the glomerulus. The causes of this scar tissue are often unknown, though known causes include infections, genetic problems, diabetes and sickle cell disease. The damage to the kidneys leads to an excess of proteins being removed in the urine and can increase the risk of infections and blood clots. The outcome for patients varies, with some people failing to respond to treatments and requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant. For others the syndrome is acute, but recovery is relatively swift. It can affect both adults and children.

In 2013, Lomu revealed he almost died in the hours after participating in the opening ceremony of the 2011 Rugby World Cup, with tests revealing the kidney he had received in 2004 was failing.
Lomu had been on the waiting list for a second transplant ever since, requiring dialysis three times a week for six hours a day. The chances of a body rejecting a second kidney transplant increases if the first transplant fails.

In an interview with the Daily Mail in August, Lomu said his goal was to live until 55 so that he would see both of his children, Brayley, six, and Dhyreille, five, to the age of 21.........
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-waiting-list-kidney-transplant-when-he-died

RIP Jonah Lomu. I enjoyed watching the big guy play rugby, and he was a humble and respectful man off the field, too. Bit of a shock actually, notwithstanding the kidney troubles, but a very sad day nonetheless.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Incredibly sad news. Brought tears to my eyes when I found out. Such a terrific bloke who was a gentle giant. Condolences to family and friends.

RIP, Jonah a true great of the sporting world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Sky NZ have dedicated a channel to him and is playing every single game he was in.

This from the Irish which is just sensational.

12239945_940826775952542_3592763953863457401_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back