Jonas and Butters subbed back on after head clash - with no concussion protocol undertaken

Remove this Banner Ad

As the title states, this is a legitimate issue, and is seriously problematic for the Port Adelaide football club.

I have no skin in this, but watching that live, and seeing Butters get split open again after he took the field and got tackled after he first clashed heads with Jonas, was just unconscionable. There is no way that the Port doctors could have been sure that both didn't have concussion, given no tests were undertaken and both their faces/heads were bandaged with blood still evident around the wounds.

For all the talk we've had these past couple of seasons surrounding concussion, to make that decision to bring them back - which was for naught in the end given they both barely touched it after they came on, and Port lost - there's going to be a serious microscope placed on Port as a club and questions surrounding their concern around player welfare.

For this to not just be one player, but two...I just can't understand how the doctors could make that decision in that moment. Were they overruled due to Dumont already being subbed out, and they didn't want to be 2 down in a close match? That's the only reason I can think of, that this decision would have been made. If that is the reason though, it's amoral and putting the need to win ahead of player welfare - which is just as low as it gets.

Word 'scandal' gets used a lot on here, but to me, this is absolutely the textbook definition - and the AFL are going to have a massive 'please explain' waiting for Port after tonight, IMO.

As the title states, this is a legitimate issue, and is seriously problematic for the Port Adelaide football club.

I have no skin in this, but watching that live, and seeing Butters get split open again after he took the field and got tackled after he first clashed heads with Jonas, was just unconscionable. There is no way that the Port doctors could have been sure that both didn't have concussion, given no tests were undertaken and both their faces/heads were bandaged with blood still evident around the wounds.

For all the talk we've had these past couple of seasons surrounding concussion, to make that decision to bring them back - which was for naught in the end given they both barely touched it after they came on, and Port lost - there's going to be a serious microscope placed on Port as a club and questions surrounding their concern around player welfare.

For this to not just be one player, but two...I just can't understand how the doctors could make that decision in that moment. Were they overruled due to Dumont already being subbed out, and they didn't want to be 2 down in a close match? That's the only reason I can think of, that this decision would have been made. If that is the reason though, it's amoral and putting the need to win ahead of player welfare - which is just as low as it gets.

Word 'scandal' gets used a lot on here, but to me, this is absolutely the textbook definition - and the AFL are going to have a massive 'please explain' waiting for Port after tonight, IMO.
The legal landscape surrounding concussion is growing and Tom Jonas and Zac Butters could reasonably have ground for negligence by the Port Adelaide football club in the future as this was clearly looking after a result of a game instead of player welfare.

It’s sickening and this is the sort of stuff that is turning parents away from having their kids play AFL.

You will hardly hear any of this on any AFL controlled media this week.

Clearly they looked at the clock and thought a concussion test puts them out for the game. Jonas looked a bit dazed and should 100% have been tested. Butters was banged up but didn’t look at dazed. But was a serious head clash and probably both needed to be tested.
Are you kidding about butters mate?

The kid looked like he was hit by a *ing truck and was clearly in a state that required at the BARE MINIMUM. A concussion test.

The legal landscape surrounding concussion is growing and Tom Jonas and Zac Butters could reasonably have ground for negligence by the Port Adelaide football club in the future as this was clearly looking after a result of a game instead of player welfare.

It’s sickening and this is the sort of stuff that is turning parents away from having their kids play AFL.

It will be interesting to see how the AFL reacts, because as you say, this is the sort of thing that makes families go 'oh sh*t, THESE are the people who are in charge of looking after my kid.' Jonas is obviously not a kid anymore, but Butters, he seems to just throw himself into contests and get injured every second week. Seeing his cheek get split open again, I seriously thought to myself 'why the f*ck are they not educating this kid on how to protect himself' - because he'll wind up retired in a few years if he keeps going this way (and Port keep not doing anything about it).

Agreed it was pathetic. The entire club including the health and safety of the players is being shoved under the bus to try and save fat fraud ken hinkley's career.

They thought trying to snatch the game was worth the risk. It wasn't.

Jonas walking down the end of the race looked crook.

Hamish also was absolutely pathetic by sucking up and defending the doctors. They didn't follow the protocols. They didn't test. It was a clear head clash. Simple. Fine the club. And sack Hinkley.

We have form in this area. Think we were fined for sending.. possibly Hamish hartlett or Ebert back on the ground concussed. Maybe our medicos are as incompetent as the coach and president.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Abby mentioned it twice and then ol mate Hamish crawled up Gil's a-hole and tried to squash it and basically gaslit her comments, which were completely fair.

This club has form.

They seem to forget they're no longer able to just do what they please in the SANFL pre-AFL days.

We have form in this area. Think we were fined for sending.. possibly Hamish hartlett or Ebert back on the ground concussed. Maybe our medicos are as incompetent as the coach and president.
Good post. Not re Coach and president, you can sign them up on long term contracts please!

There's no excuses for what happened tonight. Should have been instant concussion test once they were patched up.

Given the fact it's a Richmond supporter who started the thread and clearly has an unbiased opinion about concussion I am wondering how many weeks they reckon the player who slammed Butters' head into the ground is getting? Where were they a few weeks ago when your supporters were defending Tom Lynch putting an elbow through someone's head for the #790970 time in his career.

Not saying it's not a valid question to ask, but it is like WB supporters asking if the HTB/ high rules need to be altered.

Given the fact it's a Richmond supporter who started the thread and clearly has an unbiased opinion about concussion I am wondering how many weeks they reckon the player who slammed Butters' head into the ground is getting? Where were they a few weeks ago when your supporters were defending Tom Lynch putting an elbow through someone's head for the #790970 time in his career.

Not saying it's not a valid question to ask, but it is like WB supporters asking if the HTB/ high rules need to be altered.
Nice deflection on an important issue.
This thread should be on the main board so it gets the attention it deserves.
Port opened a massive can of worms tonight and deserve to be wacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back