Retired Jonathan Brown #3 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan Brown explains six things Brisbane Lions must do to get its AFL future back on track

1. FREE AGENCY

“This is something that Brisbane needs to keep attacking,” Brown said. “There’s a lot of salary cap room there for the Lions, they started off well with Beams and Christensen, but they now need to go after some key position players.”

2. DRAFT KEY POSITION PLAYERS

“You need to use your high draft picks on key position players,” Brown said.

“It looks like the Lions are going to finish down the bottom of the ladder, so they’ve got a high pick. Apparently there’s some good, young key position players available in the draft. You need to aim for them.

3. DRAFT STRONGER LEADERSHIP

“Tom Rockliff’s been a standout, but there’s been a lack of leadership drafted,” Brown said. “There’s also Pearce Hanley and Jed Adcock, but they haven’t got a lot of vocal leadership out on the field.”

4. SMALL FORWARDS MUST IMPROVE

“The small forwards this season have been very disappointing,” Brown said. “They’re very reliant on scoring goals from the small forwards ... Christensen, Green, Taylor and Zorko.

5. THE CLUB MUST ASK FOR AFL ASSISTANCE

“The AFL needs to help with new training facilities,” Brown said. “They’re the only club in the competition that doesn’t have a new training facility and doesn’t have one planned.

6. THE CLUB MUST RETAIN ITS PLAYERS

“What’s really killed the Lions was losing five really good young kids in the same year,” Brown said, mentioning Elliot Yeo, Jared Polec, Billy Longer, Patrick Karnezis and Sam Docherty as the ones that have escaped Brisbane’s clutches.

Thought this was an interesting enough article to post in here - I've stuck in the main points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Matthews reveals his five best Jonathan Brown performances

No. 5: The 2003 Grand Final v Collingwood
It was the centre bounce to start the game and Brown came off the square and Magpie Scott Burns went at Brown. Down went the big guy with, half unconscious and he didn’t even get a free kick. “You got up,’’ said Matthews. “You go up.’’ Brown responded: “I wore it as a badge of honour, you always had to get up.”

No. 4: Round 20, 2001, v Sydney (actually it was 2007)
The Swans lead by six points with 30 seconds to play when Brown took a leading chest mark. The runner, Shaun Hart, told him to have shot because there was not time left. From 60m, Brown kicked the drop punt from one of those galloping Brown run-ups. “You looked like you were born to take the pressure,’’ Matthews said.

No. 3: Round 6, 2005, v Essendon
Brown was suspended for five games resulting from his fracas with Port Adelaide in the ‘03 Grand Final and met Essendon first-up. He booted eight goals and was rested for the last 20 minutes of the game. “That was the best game you played,’’ Matthews said.

No. 2: Round 17, 2002, v Hawthorn
We’re talking the mark, when Brown ran back with the flight of the ball and not only marked the Sherrin but pulverised Hawk Jade Rawlings coming the other way. “You conquered your fear,’’ Matthews said.

No. 1: The 2002 Grand Final v Collingwood
There was 95 seconds to play in the third and the Lions were down by seven points. Brown took a mark on the Southern Stand flank, city end, and from 45m near the boundary kicked truly. Voss follows 30 seconds later with another. “It was the best goal of my career,’’ Brown said.
And to make it even more historic, Brown’s wet-weather boots were left in Brisbane and 10 minutes before the game he chose to wear Justin Leppitsch’s boots after Leppa opted to stay with the mouldeds.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...dio-war-of-words/story-fnelctok-1227368438989

(second story down)
BT v Browny
Lyon’s colleague Brian Taylor is a braver man than us after taking aim at Brisbane legend Jonathan Brown on Saturday.
It seems BT isn’t impressed with Brown’s extensive media appearances since his retirement.
“Someone needs to tell big Jono Brown it’s over, and he’s no longer the big Jono Brown,” Taylor said.
“I think he still thinks he’s throwing the body around and the weight around and he’s still wanting to own the entire oval.
“He’s no longer Jonathan Brown the player. I just think he’s getting a bit carried away. He’s a wobbler with a lot of potential.”
If you needed more reason to dislike BT .....

I think Browny has been fantastic behind the mic. He just slotted right in like he's been doing it all his life. BT sounds like a knob every time he opens his mouth.

Whoa! Hope JB hears of that and lets rip at him. What a vindictive imbecile.

....and quite an extrordinary outburst when you think about it....perhaps he had wanted JB's job.

Jealousy and resentment much???

Last edited:
Can't recall any other commentator unleashing on a fellow colleague like that....even if from a rival station!

I wonder if there is more to it behind the scenes....didn't they travel to Bendigo together in recent months for a sports night?...or was that someone else who went with JB?

..either way, hope either JB or Lethal come out firing at him......what an a...hole!!

Brisbane Lions doctor believed Jonathan Brown was about to die after 2011 clash with Mitch Clark

BRISBANE’S club doctor believed Jonathan Brown was about to die after his horrifying 2011 collision with teammate Mitch Clark.

The Brisbane Lions legend has 15 plates and 64 screws in his face after a series of worrying head knocks and concussions that ultimately ended his career.

His biography Jonathan Brown: Life and Football charts in forensic detail the aftermath of his 2011 collisions with Fremantle’s Luke McPharlin and Clark later that year, both at the Gabba.

What you didn’t know about Jonathan Brown

WITH his down-to-earth personality and dry humour, Jonathan Brown was a fan favourite throughout his storied AFL career.

His ability to spin a yarn is also first-class and the three-time Brisbane Lions premiership star tells more than a few in his recently released autobiography Life and Football.

Here’s eight things you didn’t know about Brown, as revealed by the man himself.

Here's one from the article:

HE HAD A SWEARING PROBLEM AS A TODDLER

BROWN recounts his colourful language as a youngster. After a toilet training accident he told his grandfather, “You wouldn’t believe it, Pa. I s*** my pants today.” He would also climb on a table at his family’s farmhouse and sing, “The bananas in pyjamas are coming down the f***ing stairs.” But when he described an unfriendly shop assistant to his mother as “a f***in’ sour bitch” — in full hearing of the shop assistant — his parents decided it had to stop and took away all his toys and sporting equipment. Brown got on the phone and told his grandmother “They’ve taken my f***in’ toys away, Nan.”

Jonathan Brown reveals brush with death during off-season drinking session

JONATHAN Brown survived a brush with death during an off-season drinking session, his new book reveals.

In January 2003, the Brisbane star was participating in his traditional “Slab Day” — an event in which he and a group of mates gathered with the aim of drinking a slab of beer each in one day.

Brown recalls emotions were high after the group, who were celebrating at a mate’s two-storey house in Warrnambool, had watched a Steve Waugh Test century at the SCG unfold on TV.

901022-c7620d1e-32a5-11e5-90b0-ce5e356ad1bb.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back