Retired Jonathan Brown #3 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome luck! http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/94158552663969b1f8172da764d5640a

BRISBANE Lions champion Jonathan Brown has revealed he lost some of the memorabilia from his glittering career in the Queensland floods.

Brown played in three premierships with the Lions — 2001, 2002, 2003 — across 256 games in a stellar career.

The champion forward flew back to Queensland on Friday to see the damage at his property, with his shed taking the brunt of it.

On inspection he realised some of his possessions were missing.

“I got up there to have a look at the damage and it’s bloody carnage. When I walked in I thought ‘gee the clean up is going to be unbelievable’,” he explained.

“One of the first things I went for, I thought ‘no I’ve left all the memorabilia from my whole career there’. So premiership jumpers, milestone game boots.

“It doesn’t mean anything to anyone else but it’s sentimental value and I thought it would be good for the kids.

“(They were) sitting in a removal box, probably should have been out on display or at least had them framed up.

“So that’s gone. I was a bit flat about that.”

But Brown’s fortunes were about to change when he decided to go for a walk.

“I got about 500 metres down the creek and the first thing I saw was a lifting platform from my gym ... that was in a tree,” Brown said.

“I got a little bit further down, first jumper (found). First jumper I saw was 2001 premiership jumper. We beat the Bombers.

“I walked about a kilometre and no luck with anything else.”

Just when the Brisbane star thought all hope was lost, Jason Mooney a former Geelong and Sydney Swans player who lives nearby and another neighbour came through with the goods.

“He (Mooney) turns up with about eight jumpers,” Brown said on Nova’s Chrissy, Sam and Browny.

“He’s found the ‘02 jumper, the Pies (we beat).

“I had a tear in my eye almost.

“Last night I get the call from my father-in-law. He goes: ‘there was a bit of a mail drop, there was a plastic bag left on our front door last night from a property about 2km down the creek’

“Found the third one.”
A lesser man (like me) would've had it straight in the pool room

Skippers named for EJ Whitten Legends Game
JONATHAN Brown and Luke Darcy will skipper the Victorian and All Stars teams for the upcoming EJ Whitten Legends Game.

The game — which will take place on the Friday of the bye weekend that separates the home and away season and the finals — will raise money for men’s health awareness programs, as well as prostate cancer research and treatment.

Brown, a triple premiership player with Brisbane, said his side was more than up for the challenge. “We snatched victory in an epic kick off after the siren last year and I’m confident we can take home the title again this year,” Brown said. “Darce better watch out, we have some absolute greats lining up for Victoria, including premiership players, All-Australians and AFL Hall of Famers.”
5fbf43a9cbc70110fd38e8dc12794ff8

Jonathan Brown reveals what was funny about being hit by a car
JONATHAN Brown is tough, but not as tough as he’d like to believe. The Brisbane Lions legend had a laugh at his own expense as he revealed the humbling moment he was brought back to earth just when he thought he’d performed the most superhuman of all his courageous feats.

One of the bravest players to ever lace up a footy boot, Brown’s career was peppered by horrific head knocks as he constantly put himself in harm’s way to be first to the footy. It’s why he has 15 plates and 64 screws in his face. It’s also why he won mark of the year in 2002 with a grab after blindly running face-first into a pack. But even he isn’t tough enough to win a battle of man vs car.

Brown was cycling early one morning in 2012 when a car went through a roundabout and ploughed into him. Somehow, he emerged unharmed.

“It hit me and I went over the bonnet and smashed into the windscreen and flipped over the top of the car and landed on the road," Brown said on Channel 7’s The Front Bar on Thursday night.

“I was sitting there and I’m looking at myself and I stood up and I’m looking for bullet holes. The bike’s broken in two places (and I’m thinking), ‘How the hell have I not ended up with broken bones?’

86c1629892fac7a80f8a18b993630ff5

Brown gave as good as he got.Source:News Limited

“The police come, the ambulance come, then next minute the tow truck turns up. I’m thinking — there’d been a bit of recent history, I’d taken mark of the year, I’d won most courageous a couple of times, there’d been some articles in the paper saying I was unbreakable and these sorts of things. “I looked up at the tow truck and they were putting the car on the tow truck and I thought, ‘Maybe everyone’s right.’ I started to believe my own publicity.”

Believing his frame may have been solid enough to do more damage to the car than the four-wheeler did to him, it took a police sergeant to shatter his sense of invincibility.

“The car got towed so I thought I’d swagger over to the police officer. I went over to the sergeant and said, ‘Geez, the car must be pretty dinged up if you’re going to tow it away,’” Brown said. “And he goes, ‘Nah mate, she (the driver) just hasn’t paid her rego.’”

BROWN ON MATTHEWS: ‘WHAT A PRICK’

23b9a6cc82a8f4fe0e8a585b9a4cc4a9

Brown had the perfect role model when it came to toughness on the footy field in Leigh Matthews. Famous for snapping a goalpost in half during his playing days, Matthews coached Brown to three successive premierships in the early 2000s.

The Lions secured the third of those flags with a 20.14 (134) to 12.12 (84) thumping of Collingwood in 2003. Brown admitted he and his teammates saw completing the three-peat as an open invitation to let their hair down.

“We were pretty excited after we smashed Collingwood that day,” Brown said on The Front Bar. “We probably could have had a beer at halftime. “We didn’t show a great level of humility in the two or three days post the grand final. “We got to the Wednesday (after the grand final) and as you can imagine we’re thinking, ‘We’ve just won three in a row, we can do whatever.’ We’ve painted the town red.”

But Matthews was no fan of his team’s uppity attitude, shaming them at their exit meeting four days after the decider. “We roll in for our exit meeting ... and Leigh gave us what is still to this day the greatest spray we’ve copped in my whole time at the Brisbane Lions. We just couldn’t believe it,” Brown said.

“We’re sitting there going, ‘What a prick. We’ve just won him three grand finals in a row, I can’t believe it.’”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always wondered. Browns courages mark against the Hawks all those years ago. Did he kick that goal? They always seem to cut the footage right after the mark.

Yes he did - it was right in front of me.

‘Double or nothing’: When Brown beat Stevie sledge
STEVE Johnson is no stranger to a sledge on the footy field. But even the best sledgers come off second-best. Johnson and Brisbane legend Jonathan Brown shared a story from one of their many on-field encounters.

“I used to love playing against Stevie and often when I would have a set-shot on goal, Stevie would be taking bets on whether I would kick the goal or not,” Brown said on Nova 100’s Chrissie, Sam and Browny. “And plenty of times I had to say ‘double or nothing’ after I’d missed — he’d certainly put it in my head.”

And on one occasion, the Lions power forward got the last laugh. “How about that day that I bet you 50 bucks that you’d miss,” Johnson said to Brown on Chrissie, Sam and Browny. “It was about 50m out and he looked at me out the corner of his eye and he said ‘I’ll kick this’ and I said ‘I’ll bet you $50 you don’t.’ “Anyway he missed, got another mark about four or five minutes later and he looked at me and he goes ‘double or nothing’. “And I went ‘righto, righto, we’re on’. “And someone ran through the mark and gave a 50m penalty away, straight from the goal line, we’re even!”

22241b5dd9e7135aaf86e45ca225c5dd

Rise of the Lions: The moment club legend Jonathan Brown knew they were back (Andrew Hamilton)
Jonathan Brown arrived home late from work after a night covering the Lions. When his wife, Kylie, asked where he’d been, the answer was proof the club was back to its former power.

Lions legend Jonathan Brown can pinpoint the moment he knew Brisbane were on the right track under new coach Chris Fagan. Brown had been quizzed by wife Kylie on why he was home later than usual from calling a Lions’ game for Fox Footy.

The triple premiership star had made a habit of heading down to the rooms after home games since joining the media but he admits the atmosphere around the club had made it feel like a chore. The recruitment this year of big-name former Docker Lachie Neale and ex-Sun Jarryd Lyons, and to a lesser extent Marcus Adams and Lincoln McCarthy, have no doubt contributed to the Lions’ climb up the ladder.

But what convinced them to come?

Even the greatest optimist wouldn’t have predicted a home final in their first season, following finishes of 15th, 17th, 18th, 17th and 15th over the past five years. Brown reckons it was Brisbane’s culture. They say a happy workforce is a productive one and Brisbane are testament to that.

“What was frustrating in those first couple of years after retirement was all the gripes and the whingeing and the complaining you’d hear when you go down back to the club for a beer after a game,’’ Brown said. “You are proud of your club and you want to stay connected and show your support but it becomes tiring. “But early in the reign of the current leadership it changed. “I came home from a game a bit later than usual one night and I said to Kylie: ‘A funny thing happened at the footy tonight’.

“I clearly remember leading with that and I told her I had walked down to the rooms after the game and stayed for an hour or so and I never heard one gripe or one person whinge to me. “I thought gee this is a happy place, and you could have been fooled into thinking it wouldn’t have been because they weren’t winning many games in those first couple of years.

“I knew then this club was going into the right direction.’’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back