Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1379988_10153354826230173_309405774_n.jpg

Height: 198cms
Weight: 95kgs
Team/Club: Queensland/Aspley
Position: Key Forward

The Brisbane Lions are committed to using their fourth round selection at the 2013 AFL National Draft (currently Pick No.59 overall) on Queensland key position prospect Jonathan Freeman following a successful Father/Son and Academy bidding meeting.

Although the Lions had priority access to the 19-year-old due to his involvement in the Hyundai Lions Academy, all other clubs were given the opportunity to bid for his services at the official bidding meeting at Etihad Stadium on Monday morning.

The Lions will use their fourth round selection – currently Pick No.59 overall – at next month’s National Draft on Freeman, after Adelaide bid their third round draft selection – Pick No.42 overall – for the 198cm forward.

Freeman joins rookie Jordon Bourke as the second member of the Hyundai Lions Academy to be drafted to the Lions, but will make history as the first to graduate to make his way onto the Club’s senior list.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-10-07/lions-commit-to-freeman

Strengths

Reads the ball well, safe and strong hands, brilliant leap, quick off the mark, hardworking forward, can kick bags of goals, very good contested mark, has a strong endurance base and athletic qualities, elite in the air, rarely out-marked, loves a contest, doesn’t mind crashing packs to bring the ball to ground, elite overhead, covers the ground well, strong bodied, good skill set, penetrating kick, AFL ready.
Weaknesses

Freeman is only really exposed when the ball hits the ground, that being – he’s not exactly clean below his knees. Defensively needs to work on areas of his game, sometimes he just stops when his opponent takes a mark, when he should be chasing/harassing or even trying to tackle. A few things need to be worked on for Freeman.

http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-jonathon-freeman/

Hyundai Brisbane Lions Academy teenagers Archie Smith and Jonathan Freeman are among the 98 players invited to attend the 2013 NAB AFL Draft Combine held at Etihad Stadium in October.

The NAB AFL Draft Combine is designed to put the country’s top prospects under the microscope in the lead-up to the National Draft.

In order to attend the NAB AFL Draft Combine, players must be nominated by at least five AFL clubs, meaning both Smith and Freeman have obviously attracted interest from opposition scouts.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-07-31/smith-freeman-earn-callup

Contested marks on that very short video looked alright. He certainly seemed to read the ball in flight well and just jumped at it, no matter who was around him. I do like that even though he is a very tall guy, he does still jump at the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A YEAR is a long time in football - just ask new Brisbane Lions recruit Jonathan Freeman.

The 19-year-old Queenslander was delighted on Monday morning after being picked up by the Lions as a priority Academy selection.

He will be officially added to the club's list with its round four pick in November's NAB AFL Draft, after the Lions matched Adelaide's bid.

The result caps a major turnaround for Freeman, who was last year overlooked at the draft by all 18 clubs and left unsure of his football future.

Freeman_Mark-article.jpg

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-10-08/future-clear-for-freeman

Lots of parallels with Tippett. Similar roles in a footy side. For whatever reason, they weren't really on the radar as underaged players. As 19 year olds, they had good carnivals albeit with the inevitable question mark that playing the champs as an overager brings.

I guess what Tippett was then able to do was to frank his champs form with quality consistent performances at AFLQ level. Against men and in a role that requires a high degree of physicality, Tippett stood up. Due to injury, Freeman hasn't had the same opportunity to reduce the doubt in his ability to become a senior player.

I do find it interesting that the club which ultimately pulled the trigger on drafting Tippett in 2006 with their second pick was the club that bid for Freeman with their first.

Lots of parallels with Tippett. Similar roles in a footy side. For whatever reason, they weren't really on the radar as underaged players. As 19 year olds, they had good carnivals albeit with the inevitable question mark that playing the champs as an overager brings.

I guess what Tippett was then able to do was to frank his champs form with quality consistent performances at AFLQ level. Against men and in a role that requires a high degree of physicality, Tippett stood up. Due to injury, Freeman hasn't had the same opportunity to reduce the doubt in his ability to become a senior player.

I do find it interesting that the club which ultimately pulled the trigger on drafting Tippett in 2006 with their second pick was the club that bid for Freeman with their first.

good sign they bid on him to be honest, they are a club that are very good it seems at identifying key position talent with later picks and making something of them

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...re-travis-varcoe/story-fndv8s6g-1226734313458

Adelaide did make an early move in trade talks yesterday by bidding for 198cm Brisbane academy forward Jonathan Freeman. The Crows offered their third-round draft pick (No. 42), forcing the Lions to use their No. 59 draft call to keep the Queenslander.

“We do like him - (recruiting manager) Hamish (Ogilvie) does rate him as a competitive forward,” said Noble. “So we made a genuine bid for him.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...-general-meeting/story-fndv8d6r-1226734336529

Brisbane were among just a handful of clubs to make progress on the opening day of the annual player transfer period when they secured academy player Jonathan Freeman with their fourth round draft pick.

The 18-year-old is a 198cm strong marking key forward who can also play ruck. Freeman, a lifelong Lions fan, admitted to being hugely relieved he could avoid the draft and stay in Brisbane.

"I'm particularly excited to be staying in Queensland and going to the club that I have always barracked for,'' he said.

"I remember going along to the Grand Final parades in the early 2000s and chasing the signatures of Lions players at the airport, so it's a bit surreal to know that I'll now be part of the club."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back