Jonathan O'Rourke

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
............. Was in amazing form pre injury this year and he will play a big role next year.

Wot???????
He's only ever just been going well enough to deserve having a look at in the firsts.
Looks a class above VFL without collecting the 35 possies, kicking 5 goals, having elite set up skills by hand or foot, or the other pointers that tell you someone's in 'amazing form'.
Talk about exaggeration.

Wot???????
He's only ever just been going well enough to deserve having a look at in the firsts.
Looks a class above VFL without collecting the 35 possies, kicking 5 goals, having elite set up skills by hand or foot, or the other pointers that tell you someone's in 'amazing form'.
Talk about exaggeration.

He was playing limited minutes and was getting around the late 20 possession mark most weeks, probably not amazing form though. His Geelong game was shaping up to be his best, he'd had around 19 til half time.

Bwhahahha....no chance, there is only one Burgers...I only thing that I can see Jon delivering is Domino's...

Glad you find it funny that a player for the club you support has had his career spoiled by ongoing injuries.

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
Glad you find it funny that a player for the club you support has had his career spoiled by ongoing injuries.

I find it funny, that you think that he is a Burger replacement (is it 83 games straight or more?)...that's funny bwhahaha....as for Jono, well, if he has yet to deliver in the time here with the best medico's in the business at hand...then I hold little hope, however, carry-on with the fancy-full delusion.

and when was that again Davo?
sounds like the club rate what he could do if fit enough to give him one more year, of course if he breaks down again in the next few weeks after this 15 week rehab that may be it

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wot???????
Talk about exaggeration.

From memory he was amongst the possession leaders/best players for a month or so coming off a hamstring/ limited pre season, pretty amazing in my books. Way to take one word completely out of context and turn it into a weird negative post.

I find it funny, that you think that he is a Burger replacement (is it 83 games straight or more?)...that's funny bwhahaha....as for Jono, well, if he has yet to deliver in the time here with the best medico's in the business at hand...then I hold little hope, however, carry-on with the fancy-full delusion.

I never said that, I'm on neither side of this argument. I'm saying that the fact you seem overjoyed about the fact this guy has had so much misfortune in his career makes you kind of an ass.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From memory he was amongst the possession leaders/best players for a month or so coming off a hamstring/ limited pre season, pretty amazing in my books. Way to take one word completely out of context and turn it into a weird negative post.

Week 1 v Footscray, 24 possessions
Week 2 v Coburg, 14 possessions
Week 3 v Willy, 27 possessions
Week 4 v Geelong, 19 possessions

Don't want to let the actual numbers get in the way of a good story.....
Happy for someone else to list if he was in the best players.

Yup, pretty amazing as you say.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I never said that, I'm on neither side of this argument. I'm saying that the fact you seem overjoyed about the fact this guy has had so much misfortune in his career makes you kind of an ass.

No one is cheering for him to not make it.
But there are plenty who have talked him up as a likely midfield addition to our first team, with almost nothing to back that up.
It would be nice, if his playing did the talking.
No?

Week 1 v Footscray, 24 possessions
Week 2 v Coburg, 14 possessions
Week 3 v Willy, 27 possessions
Week 4 v Geelong, 19 possessions

Don't want to let the actual numbers get in the way of a good story.....
Happy for someone else to list if he was in the best players.

Yup, pretty amazing as you say.

Went off sore early against Coburg and had those 19 against Geelong to half time.

Sounds like we need a "Jono O'Hawk - where is he at ?" thread......

Personally, I don't think he will make it.

No blinding speed, no Mitchell/Langford-type desperation, his handballs are little up-and-unders....

But.... I hope I am total wrong.... the club has certainly invested a lot of time in him.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Went off sore early against Coburg and had those 19 against Geelong to half time.

Mate, I get it.
He gets injured. A LOT.
Even while on the field, and I have listened in to nearly every Box hill game I could get on radio feed, or followed game day live with Box Hill watchers, or scrounged for every youtube and Club supplied video I can get......
When I see how he gets the ball, and what he does with it, it doesn't set my heart racing.
In terms of talent, I've got Cousins ahead of him, Lovell ahead of him, Ollie ahead of him, and I even find Miles far more damaging with his possessions than JOR.

I want the bugger to prove what a bunch of hopeful Hawk supporters have wistfully waited for, that the deal for a former high draft pick will turn out to be great and we will be the winner for its making.
For him, for the club, for us.
He doesn't have to be amazing, but talking his efforts up based on what weve seen thus far is dumb as far as I'm concerned.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He has been given the green light for Box Hill this week. Let's hope he can string a good 6-7 games at VFL level and then have a big pre-season.

A very disappointing season for O'Rourke. He would have received real opportunities this year if he could have stayed fit. Guys like Sicily and Hardwick in particular have shown what they can do when given a proper crack at it. And there has been a real opening for an extra midfield runner.

I reckon he gets one last crack at it. If he pings the hammy again, I reckon he is done.

Last edited:

Dewwwww

All Australian
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is going to be given another year to get his body right so why doesn't everyone just give him some support instead of making negative comments. The Club obviously liked what they saw in him when we traded him in so why don't we all just get off his case and let him play the next 4-5 weeks at Box Hill...hopefully gaining some touch (Similar to JOM) and help him build some confidence in his body in preparation for hopefully a great preseason.

We didn't trade in JOR to hit his peak 3 years ago. We picked him up to be in our midfield from now. The bloke is a 23yo 188cm inside Mid with talent to burn. We don't need him to be the best midfielder in the game....but if he can get his body right then all of a sudden we have 4 starting inside midfielders who are under 24 years of age. JOR playing his role will free up the likes of Mitchell / OMeara and Howe to cause even more damage to the opposition.

Give the kid a break and watch him shine in 2018!

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
The reality is that the club seems to see things in him. From memory, it is that he is one of the few players that can find it inside and out, has good leg speed and uses it well.

I hope he makes it.

It was so sad to see Woody not be able to build a career because of his body.

I think as supporters, we have not had the luxury of seeing what the coaches see.

Let's be clear, a lot of players seem only ok at VFL level and come in and if they can get a run of games, show more at AFL level. Dimma is a perfect example.

Best of luck Jono and even more if you can get your good mate Coniglio to join us !!

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
We didn't trade in JOR to hit his peak 3 years ago. We picked him up to be in our midfield from now. The bloke is a 23yo 188cm inside Mid with talent to burn. We don't need him to be the best midfielder in the game....but if he can get his body right then all of a sudden we have 4 starting inside midfielders who are under 24 years of age. JOR playing his role will free up the likes of Mitchell / OMeara and Howe to cause even more damage to the opposition.

Give the kid a break and watch him shine in 2018!

You lost me there, talent to burn and then we don't need him to be the best mid-fielder, now surely with talent to burn this implies he is meant to be one of the best mids on the game?

Anyway Dewwwwy, I hope that you are right.

PLaying for Box Hill Sunday
Including finals, don't they have up to 6x matches still to play?

Gee, it'd be handy for him to get 6x straight games, win a flag (albeit, 2nds) & love the game a bit heading into the Off Season.

Back