Recommitted Jonathon Marsh [requested trade to WA]

highpie

Debutant
Jun 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
What's with these grown men being unable to play in a state they were not born?

The guy is 21 years old. I understand a need to go home at the right time.. ie contract is over, wants to start a family with parents around, etc. But these guys that would rather not play AFL at all.. i dont understand it.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Hopefully something can be done to get him to West Coast.

For what exactly I don't know, (maybe Tom Lamb and some picks). Don't want to be giving up a contracted and required player like Mackenzie for him however

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully something can be done to get him to West Coast.

For what exactly I don't know, (maybe Tom Lamb and some picks). Don't want to be giving up a contracted and required player like Mackenzie for him however

We won't give up MacKenzie for Marsh, we would trade him to land another 2nd round pick. Marsh is the sweetener to provide depth should Mitch Brown also go.

He's contracted isn't he?
Correct. I guess he could ask us to void his contract and head to the draft, but I'd hope that we offer him indefinite leave and try to convince him to come back with more support in place. I really rate the kid and would hate to lose him. If we can keep him suddenly our key defensive stocks don't look so bad anymore.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
What's with these grown men being unable to play in a state they were not born?

The guy is 21 years old. I understand a need to go home at the right time.. ie contract is over, wants to start a family with parents around, etc. But these guys that would rather not play AFL at all.. i dont understand it.

Do you think that maybe if they would rather not play AFL at all, forfeiting 6 figures payments and probably what they have wanted to do since kids, that just maybe there's more too it than "being unable to play in a state they were born"...

It's not a career change you would make lightly, especially for someone like Marsh who isn't one of those guys who is 40th best on the list.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
But if a blow for Collingwood if reports are true Marsh won't play next year.
Ridiculous if that's the case and he's contracted. Players nominate for the draft knowing they could end up interstate and have a whinge about it a couple of years into their careers.
Maybe being a professional footballer is not the life for them.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
But if a blow for Collingwood if reports are true Marsh won't play next year.

First I've heard about it but interesting if that is the case.

Stretching Collingwood's tall back stocks even further. I was keen on getting him back to West Coast during the trade period but Collingwood had more pressing issues at the trade table than Marsh I'd say.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it was more a lack of interest. Dockers had their hands full with Hamling and Kersten at the end; and if reports are right the Eagles were into Marcus Adams but couldn't make anything happen. I hope he can sort out his stuff in the off-season and return next year; what a waste of potential if he never comes back.
At least he can do go down in history as Majak Daw's springboard.

Back