Player Watch Jonathon Marsh (Retired 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJH073

Debutant
Apr 28, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
At 191cm and 89kg, If they can harness this guys potential then I believe we will have a player!! A lot to to get excited about...some were tipping this guy to be the next key forward to be taken after Tom Boyd in last years draft. He plays like a midfielder and can roost the ball. He has been compared to Taylor Walker (smaller) because of his ability to turn and baulk opponents at will. He’s far too quick for your average defender, and can see off many mids as well.
Could be a smokey for a big bodied midfielder in a season or 2.

Guys like this sum up where the club is at right now.

We have so much young talent that we'll either be the most successful club in the comp for the next 10+ years or end up like Richmond - almost but not quite making it because our stars are awesome but no one else is.

He looks a bit taller than 191cm in photo's of him standing next to Cloke?

Seen him listed as 191-193 so not too sure.

See him eventually becoming a high HFF - wing but still a lot of work to do.

At 191cm and 89kg, If they can harness this guys potential then I believe we will have a player!! A lot to to get excited about...some were tipping this guy to be the next key forward to be taken after Tom Boyd in last years draft. He plays like a midfielder and can roost the ball. He has been compared to Taylor Walker (smaller) because of his ability to turn and baulk opponents at will. He’s far too quick for your average defender, and can see off many mids as well.
Could be a smokey for a big bodied midfielder in a season or 2.

He'll never be a midfielder, I expect in time he'll end up like a swingman like Reid but slightly shorter and faster.

His kicking can be downright horrendous at times and struggles to find a lot of the ball. Athletically though he is a freak, power speed and strength. I think he'll end up around Goldsack level of talent and do some good things but struggle to nail down a spot.

I didn't expect much out of him at the start of 2014, but 12
months later and there has been considerable growth in him as a player and an onfield leader.

I bring this up in every Jono Marsh thread, but that televised VFL game where he went down with an incredibly severe hammy, as he was being carried off he was barking orders to his team mates, team first mentality at his finest and for a bloke coming in from a low pick, small acts like that are incredibly encouraging.

The Injury itself was such a tough one, and you could feel his absence in the coming weeks, not saying he would have been the difference in the final, but a good game then would have topped off a fantastic year.

Where he develops from now nobody knows, but if he keeps at it as a defender, I could certainly see an opportunity for him mid to late 2015.
Hine seems to believe he'll make it as a foward, so much like with Moore, the clubs got some really tough calls to make.

He'll never be a midfielder, I expect in time he'll end up like a swingman like Reid but slightly shorter and faster.

His kicking can be downright horrendous at times and struggles to find a lot of the ball. Athletically though he is a freak, power speed and strength. I think he'll end up around Goldsack level of talent and do some good things but struggle to nail down a spot.

No one ever thought Richo could play on a wing either but he showed he could be pretty damaging from there when given a crack. I agree, he's unlikely to be part of your centre square starting 4, but that's based on what we've seen to date from him, I'm not quite as keen as you to discount any possibility so early in his development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one ever thought Richo could play on a wing either but he showed he could be pretty damaging from there when given a crack. I agree, he's unlikely to be part of your centre square starting 4, but that's based on what we've seen to date from him, I'm not quite as keen as you to discount any possibility so early in his development.

I think it's crucial for your wingman to be good kicks to transition the ball from defence to offence without turning it over (turnovers are absolute killers). Marsh is easily in our bottom 3 worst kicks on the list, he'll also get lost in the midfield similar to Jessie White.

Marsh doesn't have the ability to find cheap outside footy that all good wingman have... he is at his best when he just has to follow an opponent around and then use his pace to spoil or tackle.

He is basically a taller bulkier Sinclair but a worse kick

I think it's crucial for your wingman to be good kicks to transition the ball from defence to offence without turning it over (turnovers are absolute killers). Marsh is easily in our bottom 3 worst kicks on the list, he'll also get lost in the midfield similar to Jessie White.

Marsh doesn't have the ability to find cheap outside footy that all good wingman have... he is at his best when he just has to follow an opponent around and then use his pace to spoil or tackle.

He is basically a taller bulkier Sinclair but a worse kick

Yawn... whatever.

Get him on the wing

Marsh can push up onto a wing from the front half but it's not a practical position for him to play, beyond just pushing up there to gather the ball and charge forward from the wing again. He can run with ball in hand but he is the worst kick on the senior list. He isn't an endurance runner and he isn't a high possession or consistent possession winner/finder. It would be as close to the worst position he could be utilised in as there possibly is.

Key defence at this stage looks like where he is most consistent.

Somewhere in the front half - and I'm talking anything from kpp to forward pocket to a forward flank could all be possibilities with his talent. It's inconsistent, but he has those special elements to him and ability to take games over with his influence when he really gets going.

Good call and think he is almost a direct replacement. I do think Marsh has the potential to be better than Goldsack. They're both quick, but Marsh is a freak! If Marsh can continue to improve as he did in the second half of the year he could be something special.

Marsh can push up onto a wing from the front half but it's not a practical position for him to play, beyond just pushing up there to gather the ball and charge forward from the wing again. He can run with ball in hand but he is the worst kick on the senior list. He isn't an endurance runner and he isn't a high possession or consistent possession winner/finder. It would be as close to the worst position he could be utilised in as there possibly is.

Key defence at this stage looks like where he is most consistent.

Somewhere in the front half - and I'm talking anything from kpp to forward pocket to a forward flank could all be possibilities with his talent. It's inconsistent, but he has those special elements to him and ability to take games over with his influence when he really gets going.

On what we've seen to date anyway.

His move to defense was either an inspired move or a fluke because he was 1 of the few remaining 190+ players we had available to select back there. Even so, he came on in leaps and bounds and from what we hear that's not by accident, it's apparently from an internal drive to work hard and improve.

I'm not prepared to limit him just yet. I agree, his kicking has been hit and miss, but they used to say the same about Benny Johnson. From memory he's also a kid with limited junior exposure so I'm prepared to see how he progresses in 2015 before saying he can't do something.

Anyone else getting sick of players being labelled the worst this or that in the AFL?
Ben Johnson....was called the worst kick in the team....250 games later he's a legend. Tony Shaw "couldn't kick over a jam tin" but he was a Norm Smith winning premiership captain, Charlie Manson....when he started people laughed at his kicking action...you guessed it Premiership player and one of the most accurate (unco) kicks you've ever seen for goal. Should I go on?
For heavens sake young Marsh is just learning the game. Give him the coaching and the support to get somewhere. I'll back him to be a player!

I don't think we saw enough of Richo in that position to make a definitive call on whether he was a good wingman or not, but because of his endurance, marking power and foward nouse he was able to carve out a nice little niche in the role. Unfortunately Marsh has none of those traits...

I personally like him as a KPD that can be thrown forward ala Adam Hunter, but he's at least 2 years from becoming even a semi regular performer for us so patience will be needed.

Overall if he winds up a player of equal quality to Goldsack he's done quite well. Anything more than that is a bonus!

Superb Athlete, one of the quickest kids in the competition, didn't look to have much of a clue early in the year when forward.
When moved back and able to run at it in a straight line, he came on in leaps and bounds and was vying for selection by year's end -as injuries began wiping others out.

Last edited:
I don't think we saw enough of Richo in that position to make a definitive call on whether he was a good wingman or not, but because of his endurance, marking power and foward nouse he was able to carve out a nice little niche in the role. Unfortunately Marsh has none of those traits...

I personally like him as a KPD that can be thrown forward ala Adam Hunter, but he's at least 2 years from becoming even a semi regular performer for us so patience will be needed.

Overall if he winds up a player of equal quality to Goldsack he's done quite well. Anything more than that is a bonus!

This time last year no one thought he had KPD potential either.

Anyone else getting sick of players being labelled the worst this or that in the AFL?
Ben Johnson....was called the worst kick in the team....250 games later he's a legend. Tony Shaw "couldn't kick over a jam tin" but he was a Norm Smith winning premiership captain, Charlie Manson....when he started people laughed at his kicking action...you guessed it Premiership player and one of the most accurate (unco) kicks you've ever seen for goal. Should I go on?
For heavens sake young Marsh is just learning the game. Give him the coaching and the support to get somewhere. I'll back him to be a player!
Some people are just try hard's here who couldn't make any list at a high level so they hide behind a computer screen typing dribble to bag a kid who had the talent to get drafted in the first place having a crack unlike some here, they must think people care or like there sad negative posts but try to say it's an opinion lol
Maybe they should try coach an afl list if they are so always right or be a afl recruiter if your so good lol
Marley cant kick either but he getting better each year :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back