Player Watch Jonathon Marsh (Retired 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF Marsh played in the VFL Finals we might of at least have a Better Chance.

That just shows how Little the Club Cared about the VFL Finals
Good. The clubs main business is AFL, not VFL, not women's footy, not even netball and every decision made should be to the benefit of the AFL side.

This might be an outrageous call but Marsh reminds me a lot of a young Alex Rance. Incredible athlete, raw defensively, unpolished skills and the chance of a brain fade.....but I just think he has something, and he's definitely worth persisting with.

The Collingwood website has Marsh listed at 194cm and 87kg.... Compared to Rance 194cm and 96kg.

Obviously a clear weight difference, but Rance is the size and played type Marsh should be modelling his game on. Athleticism and aerial prowess are both the major strength of each player and Marsh should aspire to play KPD rather than the third tall.

I think Marsh has good kicking skills, he just to often forces himself into bad situations and makes decision making errors- there is room for growth.

I'm interested to see how he develops, I have a feeling he could become a seriously good player next season.

This might be an outrageous call but Marsh reminds me a lot of a young Alex Rance. Incredible athlete, raw defensively, unpolished skills and the chance of a brain fade.....but I just think he has something, and he's definitely worth persisting with.

The Collingwood website has Marsh listed at 194cm and 87kg.... Compared to Rance 194cm and 96kg.

Obviously a clear weight difference, but Rance is the size and played type Marsh should be modelling his game on. Athleticism and aerial prowess are both the major strength of each player and Marsh should aspire to play KPD rather than the third tall.

I think Marsh has good kicking skills, he just to often forces himself into bad situations and makes decision making errors- there is room for growth.

I'm interested to see how he develops, I have a feeling he could become a seriously good player next season.
I like him a lot too. Brown and Reid won't be around forever. If we could pick up Logue and one of McCarthy or Maibum then add Marsh to that then I believe we would be set for kpds for the next decade.

Marsh would be the perfect modern day full back if he could kick. Mobile and a fantatic intercept. Such a shame on his kicking.

In fairness I would have said the same of Rance 5 years ago. He won't get to that level, but he has the tools to become a tremendous plsyer if developed properly.

In fairness I would have said the same of Rance 5 years ago. He won't get to that level, but he has the tools to become a tremendous plsyer if developed properly.

If I were to personalise Marsh's development it would focus on kicking and decision making, conditioning and injury prevention and defensive systems. Do we personalise development? I'm still not sure how much you can improve your kicking skills, especially off such a low base.

IF Marsh played in the VFL Finals we might of at least have a Better Chance.

That just shows how Little the Club Cared about the VFL Finals

Yeah, bloody rude putting player welfare ahead of the needs of supporters.

magpiebat, seemed guys played one week then needed season ending surgery. I got the impression they were more worried about being ready for pre season. Cox and goldy are 2 i can think of.

As they should. Priority should always be what is best for the senior team and accords with our player welfare requirements. Getting these guys prepared to start preseason as early as possible may make a huge difference to their respective 2017 performances. Incidentally, Cox didn't qualify for VFL finals.

Marsh would be the perfect modern day full back if he could kick. Mobile and a fantastic intercept. Such a shame on his kicking.

Most of his kicking is very good, just prone to an occasional shank. Think he's improved a lot in this area and given further time I think we'll see the number of shanks reduce markedly.

Most of his kicking is very good, just prone to an occasional shank. Think he's improved a lot in this area and given further time I think we'll see the number of shanks reduce markedly.

I think it's a fairly regular shank at this point. I'd rate him the worst kick at the club. He's worse than Toovey.

Shame he lost his blistering pace! Is this because of his hammies or bulking up?? Maybe a combination? Did i just answer my own question?

Just play him..

Shame he lost his blistering pace! Is this because of his hammies or bulking up?? Maybe a combination? Did i just answer my own question?

Just play him..

The miracle is he hasn't lost his blistering pace. He is still lightening. It's a real asset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a fairly regular shank at this point. I'd rate him the worst kick at the club. He's worse than Toovey.

Happy to agree to disagree.

Yep, and for what it's worth I hope i'm judging it wrong, because if I am I reckon we have a ripper.

I think it tends to be game specific, so if he has a bad game he can have multiple shanks, whereas in other games he can actually go shank free. Don't know if that amplifies the perceptions or not.

If Murray bites the dust can’t we still collect him on the way through?

I am not 100% Sure on the Rules are but What I Heard it sounds we can replace him with the Mid-Season Rookie Draft

My understanding is we can, but the more important question is, why?

With Moore, Dunn, Goldsack, Kelly, Mihocek and Roughead as KPD options plus Madgen, Langdon, Shaz, Howe and Murphy in a pinch we just don’t have a need.

I think Apex was on the money that he’d have been a handy VFL recruit, but that’s about where our interest would end for 2019. It may be a different story for 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back