Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been waiting for this thread for 18 months!
Now with an official media link to the Hawks, I hope we are neck deep in this!

Been a big fan of Patton for a while & hope the guy can get some good progress to being recovered this year.
Perfect Roughhead replacement at FF for season 2020 & beyond.
The guy is a beast when he is on & his confidence is up. Fantastic presence being such a big unit & would thrive in the Hawthorn environment.

Medical history aside from both Patton & the Hawks; this is a perfect match of both player & club.

I’m 100% in on Patton as a Hawk.

When did he do his most recent acl?
Is he tracking to be training before finals?

He did his last ACL rd 15, end of june and I think he should be back playing NEAFL after the Giants bye and 4 games in reserves he could be ready for AFL rd 18 or 19. All this is just speculation and I have noticed the club has been super cautious with returning players but he would need 3-4 AFL games as well as NEAFL games to get back to form

It will also depend on how Finlayson, Cameron and Himmelburg go over the season as to where the club sees him and also more importantly where Patton wants to be playing and living, but I would think a pick swap in the 2/3/4 rounds would get a trade done but it also depends on what the contract is for him

I guess it's more of a response to the posters who constantly tell Giants fans we are going to give away more players for picks in the 60's due to our salary cap, rather than an accurate analysis of the situation :thumbsu:

Plenty of clubs should be able to hold their ground as long as GWS has been responsible in the numbers...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it's more of a response to the posters who constantly tell Giants fans we are going to give away more players for picks in the 60's due to our salary cap, rather than an accurate analysis of the situation :thumbsu:

Do you think he could be traded due to a surplus of needs?

You guys have Cameron, Himmleberg and Patton. All 3 have their strengths and weaknesses. just think from an outsiders point of view that Himmleberg and Cameron as a tandem works well for your system. Which then just leaves Patton being a reserve player, when he isn’t injured. So I just see Patton being moved on, as being a win for everyone involved. If the club he goes to takes on his salary it would be a bigger win for GWS, as they can bring in another player(s) to fill a spot, that might require filling.

Do you think he could be traded due to a surplus of needs?

You guys have Cameron, Himmleberg and Patton. All 3 have their strengths and weaknesses. just think from an outsiders point of view that Himmleberg and Cameron as a tandem works well for your system. Which then just leaves Patton being a reserve player, when he isn’t injured. So I just see Patton being moved on, as being a win for everyone involved. If the club he goes to takes on his salary it would be a bigger win for GWS, as they can bring in another player(s) to fill a spot, that might require filling.
This is another reason why I think they will salary dump him

Everything makes sense both for he and club to let him go in order to keep others more important and let him go home

You can't actually salary dump an uncontracted player though.

I suspect we're planning to have more than Cogs and Kelly on the field next year.

As for his contract I very much doubt the figure. He last signed for 3 years in 2016 as a tall defender, behind Davis, Corr and Haynes in the pecking order. He has grown a lot in stature since abd would be due a significant pay rise.

So you guys are going to increase his wage from $800k a year after 3 knee reco's?

So you guys are going to increase his wage from $800k a year after 3 knee reco's?

I've deleted my posts but can't delete the responses. I made a silly errir and was referring to Tomlinson. I claim a grey moment and apologise.
the Ziebull you as well.

For Patton $800k is likely as generally what we pay the top shelf.

The thing with Patton is there's strong mail he simply didn't want to go last year. He's contracted to the end of 2020 and to me he's our problem, and rightfully so.

His rehab should finish mid season and his future should look clearer then. Hopefully losing weight and reported good progress means everything's going well at that stage.

If there are setbacks he may well retire, which sadly I thought could happen this year.

Either way I think him being traded this year is an unlikely event.

I've deleted my posts but can't delete the responses. I made a silly errir and was referring to Tomlinson. I claim a grey moment and apologise.
the Ziebull you as well.

The thing with Patton is there's strong mail he simply didn't want to go last year. He's contracted to the end of 2020 and to me he's our problem, and rightfully so.

His rehab should finish mid season and his future should look clearer then. Hopefully losing weight and reported good progress means everything's going well at that stage.

If there are setbacks he may well retire, which sadly I thought could happen this year.

I doubt he’d retire
If there are setback a team I reckon would take a punt knowing he’d come cheap

High return potentially

the Ziebull you as well.

No chance he retires , Where would you get info like that from !!!

25 year old top self afl talent doesnt just retire , Your club will be looking to off load him to free up cap space in a desperate attempt to hold onto Coniglio, Kelly & Tomlinson.

Very good chance GWS could be paying some of his contract just to move him on.

The trouble with a Patton trade is that he actually hasn’t achieved anything. He may net GWS a late third rounder or something close, but it speaks of his lack of activity (due to injury which ultimately decreases his value).

Would be a great fit for the brisbane lions. I’m sure they have salary cap room for him too.
Would be great for Hipwood aswell.
His 2017 was good and i think he ended up kicking 40 odd goals.
Injuries are a worry, but i think it would pay dividends

No chance he retires , Where would you get info like that from !!!

25 year old top self afl talent doesnt just retire , Your club will be looking to off load him to free up cap space in a desperate attempt to hold onto Coniglio, Kelly & Tomlinson.

Very good chance GWS could be paying some of his contract just to move him on.

Jesus, offload him to free up cap space, send him for token pick, and now pay some of his salary too? What next, pay someone else's salary in that other club too?

Any idea where this extrapolation will stop from you ?

Jesus, offload him to free up cap space, send him for token pick, and now pay some of his salary too? What next, pay someone else's salary in that other club too?

Any idea where this extrapolation will stop from you ?

You might want to have a look at some player that GWS have given away and their conditions

Was Ahern to north not similar ? #7 pick given to north with part of his salary covered by GWS and there was also some mention of one of the Carlton players where the salary was also part covered by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back