Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

You might want to have a look at some player that GWS have given away and their conditions

Was Ahern to north not similar ? #7 pick given to north with part of his salary covered by GWS and there was also some mention of one of the Carlton players where the salary was also part covered by GWS
A different time and we were in a different position.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You might want to have a look at some player that GWS have given away and their conditions

Was Ahern to north not similar ? #7 pick given to north with part of his salary covered by GWS and there was also some mention of one of the Carlton players where the salary was also part covered by GWS

I think the reason the players were traded out so cheaply as well as due to injury concerns was due to the contracts the club had with the players that were overs (IMO) for retention purposes and this is why 2 top 10 picks in Ahern and Pickett were basically given away

I think the reason the players were traded out so cheaply as well as due to injury concerns was due to the contracts the club had with the players that were overs (IMO) for retention purposes and this is why 2 top 10 picks in Ahern and Pickett were basically given away

But surely the Paton situation is also similar and more beneficial to GWS to cut their losses and move on

e.g If Patton has 2 years left on his contract at $800k+
GWS no longer have a need for him as Himmelberg/Cameron/Finlayson etc are good set up and enough depth

GWS pay $200k a year of his contract and trade him to another team for a scully like pick and cut their losses allowing them to use the remaining $600k a year on keeping players like Toranto/Tomlinson at the club

But surely the Paton situation is also similar and more beneficial to GWS to cut their losses and move on

GWS no longer have a need for him as Himmelberg/Cameron/Finlayson etc are good set up and enough depth

GWS pay $200k a year of his contract and trade him to another team for a scully like pick and cut their losses allowing them to use the remaining $600k a year on keeping players like Toranto/Tomlinson at the club

A Salary dump trade happens with a Scully like pick. Not stating it as salary dump but then paying 200k on top and in return for a token pick.

He is still a few months away from playing so alot can happen in that time but IMO the club will look at his form when he is back playing and then discuss options with him but either way the club cannot pay him the wage he is on for 2020
If the player and club agree that a trade is the best option then any trade will depend on his form in the back end of the season but if that does happen I would hope the club could at least get a bidding war between some Melbourne clubs and get a high 3rd rounder for him. Saints, Roos, Hawks, Dogs all need a power key forward and should have cap room depending on other movements and for a 3rd rounder I am sure clubs will take a risk

He is still a few months away from playing so alot can happen in that time but IMO the club will look at his form when he is back playing and then discuss options with him but either way the club cannot pay him the wage he is on for 2020
If the player and club agree that a trade is the best option then any trade will depend on his form in the back end of the season but if that does happen I would hope the club could at least get a bidding war between some Melbourne clubs and get a high 3rd rounder for him. Saints, Roos, Hawks, Dogs all need a power key forward and should have cap room depending on other movements and for a 3rd rounder I am sure clubs will take a risk
Thats why i believe the GWS will need to perhaps contribute to the salary, It will be really difficult sell to another club to take on such a gamble with a player like Paton having done 3 knee's and on big Dollars, Its not just about the pick exchange but also the impact a player on big money has on a new club and its TPP as well as culture of players at the club

Thats why i believe the GWS will need to perhaps contribute to the salary, It will be really difficult sell to another club to take on such a gamble with a player like Paton having done 3 knee's and on big Dollars, Its not just about the pick exchange but also the impact a player on big money has on a new club and its TPP as well as culture of players at the club

I cant see the Giants paying any salary as they will just take a lower pick to get it done

I cant see the Giants paying any salary as they will just take a lower pick to get it done
I dont think the difference in the pick between say #30 or #50 will be the thing that makes the new club take that Chance and im not just talking about him as a player but the implications on the salary cap if he gets re injured. $800k is alot of $$$ to wear

Do you happen to know what he's on then?
I think it's hard to judge. He last signed in February 2017 after returning in mid 2016 and improving steadily. His best year was 2017 when he was equal leading goalk8cker with Toby and Jezza at 47 goals.
Depends on how the club forecast his future I think. Could be significantly less .

I think it's hard to judge. He last signed in February 2017 after returning in mid 2016 and improving steadily. His best year was 2017 when he was equal leading goalk8cker with Toby and Jezza at 47 goals.
Depends on how the club forecast his future I think. Could be significantly less .

Thanks for the response mate, judging by what you've put forward it could have gone either way.

It could have been on a slightly reduced salary due to missing games after the ACL or it could have also been slightly higher due to firstly needing to retain him and also the encouraging signs he showed forthe remainder of the 2016 season.

Obviously if it's the latter then it would be a smart move to offload that salary off your books however if he did in fact sign on a reduced wage and with your clubs pending retirements, would it really matter if he chose to stay?

Either way though the injury history would put clubs off more than his salary one would think.

Would an exchange of 4th or 5th Round Selections be enough to get the deal across the line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Cogs re-signs with GWS then Patton is out of there (so they can make room for the Tarranto/Whitfield deals upcoming)

if Cogs goes i think they keep Patton and try to get him right.

If Cogs re-signs with GWS then Patton is out of there (so they can make room for the Tarranto/Whitfield deals upcoming)

if Cogs goes i think they keep Patton and try to get him right.
I wouldn't think so. Clubs cant actually dump contracted players anyway. It's a myth. No-one knows what will happen later this year or next year wuth his expected return. Speculation is a bit silly in my view.

Both Patton & Cogs will make for adequate replacements for the retiring Roughy & Silk.....You know it makes sense.
When are you going to engage in some actual discussion about trades and players instead of entering every thread to tell opposition supporters that the player in question will become a Hawk?

It's honestly just tiresome and your fellow supporters are embarrassed by you.

When are you going to engage in some actual discussion about trades and players instead of entering every thread to tell opposition supporters that the player in question will become a Hawk?

It's honestly just tiresome and your fellow supporters are embarrassed by you.
Tom Lynch is still waiting for the Audi that he was meant to look so good driving down Jacksons rd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back