Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure why we are having so much discussion about Coniglio when this is the Patton thread but for an update on Patton
Cameron mentioned him in his chat on SEN today and that he had a couple of minor setbacks at training and that he is 2-3 weeks away which would likely see him play the last game of the regular NEAFL season and finals if the team make it so really he looks to only likely play a half and then 3/4 game time which is a bit disapponting but I think the club is trying to ensure a trade does happen and that he gets the contract length and amount he is after and because of this I cant see the club haggling too much if he is traded so a pick upgrade in the lower rounds or 3rd/4th rd should get it done

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
That looks like one of the weakest forward lines in the league tbh. I doubt anyone would be scared by it.

I forgot Gunston.

I also said 'cause some headaches'. I didn't say it would be the best forward line in the comp.
Heavy scoring has been our issue this season. I'd hope that a full season from Wingard and Patton and another pre-season into Hanrahan and Moore would address this a little.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
GWS will get band 1 compo regardless. Nothing to be gained from playing hardball in this situation.

That was half the point. Whatever you pay beyond about $800k a season nets them the same compo. There is no motivation for them to help you get a player cheaply.

The difference is Hawthorn have the capacity to play hardball. Hawthorn have plenty of cap space and are potential retirements of Rough, Birchall, Schoenmakers and Puopolo (and possible trade of Ceglar - potentially to GWS) will clear further salary off the books and can easily make a godfather offer that GWS cannot match. But the HFC don't operate like that and would rather work with GWS. The discussion regarding Cogniglio would have been had at the same time as the Patton trade discussion occurred.

If Cogniglio chooses Hawthorn a reasonable deal will be made between the two clubs and the HFC will not give up it's early picks for a free agent.

Coniglio. It's Coniglio.

Good for Hawthorn if they can create a gazillion dollars in cap space. North did that, and they got Jared Polec.

But like many other people you seem in to be an expert in GWS' salary cap. Coniglio is an $800k-$1.2m a year player. How much cap space over the next 5-7 years do you think GWS actually have available for Coniglio? What is your "godfather offer"? You are assuming they can't play hard ball. And if you are such good guys the threat of playing hard ball doesn't really mean much. Free agency precedes the trade period so if you don't just magically sign him under market value as a FA then what?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Why would you want disgruntled players in your best 22 leading into finals? IMO Tomlinson will be part of this year's cap squeeze as it's a nice way of saying we could probably lose you and the side won't be any worse off and he can get his payday. Similar to some guys called Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge.

Team has unsigned players at Rd 20. Salary cap squeeze!

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That looks like one of the weakest forward lines in the league tbh. I doubt anyone would be scared by it.
Don’t know how many other teams have 3 guys who’ve kicked 50+ in a season, another who’s kicked 45 and a 15 game key forward who’s in the top 5 for average contested marks and averaging 1.5 goals. Our forward line on paper looks good, it’s the connection with the midfielders and delivery from midfield which is costing us

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good for Hawthorn if they can create a gazillion dollars in cap space. North did that, and they got Jared Polec.
Relevance?

But like many other people you seem in to be an expert in GWS' salary cap. Coniglio is an $800k-$1.2m a year player. How much cap space over the next 5-7 years do you think GWS actually have available for Coniglio?
The pertinent question you don't grasp is how much space does GWS have in its cap next season?

As I keep explaining to you the HFC can potentially create a vast amount of cap space if it retired Rough, Birch, Schoenmakers and Poppy. By front loading its offer for the 2020 season, the HFC can offer a contract that GWS have no hope of matching. It doesn't matter how much space they have from 2021 beyond if they cannot match and keep 2020 payments under the cap.

GWS are currently holding off signing Adam Tomlinson (who has made it abundantly clear he wishes to stay at the club) until the Coniglio situation is finalised. If GWS had the cap space to match a godfather offer Tomlinson would already be signed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really?

Leon was on tv saying otherwise
It's not in anyone's interest for him to play twos and risk being injured. GWS would have to wear his next seasons salary, HFC get him to have an extended pre season and Patton gets an extension of his contract that he would not be guaranteed if he were injured again.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It's not in anyone's interest for him to play twos and risk being injured. GWS would have to wear his next seasons salary, HFC get him to have an extended pre season and Patton gets an extension of his contract that he would not be guaranteed if he were injured again.

There is some serious tin foil hat garbage going on here.

What evidence do you have that he is ready to play and we are deliberately not playing him for fear of reinjuring him?

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
FFS. Arguing semantics now?

Arguing the facts.

The only way you can 'buy' Coniglio as a free agent is with a huge money, short term contract. If you want to offer $4m over 2 years knock yourselves out, but any sensible, medium to long term deal can be matched by GWS. As expert as everyone seems to be in their current salary cap position, it would be next level to know what they've got planned for 2024.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
GWS are currently holding off signing Adam Tomlinson (who has made it abundantly clear he wishes to stay at the club) until the Coniglio situation is finalised. If GWS had the cap space to match a godfather offer Tomlinson would already be signed.

Please show any active best 22 player who has ever said before the end of the H & A season that they want out.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Makes zero sense.

When Patton is firing he is awesome up front.

If he could play NEAFL to have him ready for finals then we would do it.

Why would you play a mature, AFL-calibre player in the NEAFL when you have anywhere from 4-8 games left? The key posts at each end are looking good right now but an injury here or there changes that. Even if you lost a defender or two Finlayson could go back and Patton could slot in forward. Don't want to risk that 4th round pick you might get... this thread, wow.

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is some serious tin foil hat garbage going on here.

What evidence do you have that he is ready to play and we are deliberately not playing him for fear of reinjuring him?
Absolutely, because you are the sole font of knowledge of everything GWS. Anyone else who hears otherwise (say, from within Hawthorn) is wrong.

Really?

Leon was on tv saying otherwise
Yes, really. Leon says what he needs to say.

Why would you play a mature, AFL-calibre player in the NEAFL when you have anywhere from 4-8 games left? The key posts at each end are looking good right now but an injury here or there changes that. Even if you lost a defender or two Finlayson could go back and Patton could slot in forward. Don't want to risk that 4th round pick you might get... this thread, wow.
It has more to do with risking the opportunity to remove a contract worth $800K+ from the cap.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It has more to do with risking the opportunity to remove a contract worth $800K+ from the cap.

Ah yes, another GWS contract Hawks fans are certain about.

I tell ya what, Birchall/Puopolo/Roughead/Schoenmakers must be on biiiiig money if you plan on absorbing an $800k contract and making a godfather offer.

Ah yes, another GWS contract Hawks fans are certain about.

I tell ya what, Birchall/Puopolo/Roughead/Schoenmakers must be on biiiiig money if you plan on absorbing an $800k contract and making a godfather offer.
I really wonder about you, mate. Hawthorn don't need to absorb that contract.

Back