Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well clearly neither, as what you are saying is the Hawks will tell GWS that they are going to ream them and that they can just shut up and take it.
The difference is using lube or going in raw. Both hurt but GWS are in a position to take the less painful option. Such is the nature of free agency.
GWS by the way have a number of players that they could choose to trade to various clubs and so I do not see their salary cap as fixed.
The free agency period closes before the trade period commences, so GWS salary cap in regard to matching free agency contracts cannot change due to trades.

Last edited:

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You really think he is giving up 800k next year?

So he can sign for 2 years at 400 per year?

That means he would effectively be playing that second year for free...

If it is true he is on 800 a year he would be mad to give it up.

If he does it implies he knows his knees are cooked and is going for an extra cash grab.
He could sign for $500k for two years ($200k ahead) and back himself to get a contract beyond that. Or he could sign for $400k for three years ($400k ahead). He remains in the system beyond next year (and if he was injured again next season that could effectively end his career) at a club known for player injury management while he earns his money and more.

Last edited:
It makes zero sense for the Giants salary cap constraints.

800K+ in the cap is a massive millstone when you have to try and find money for J.Cameron and others going forward.

Winning a flag this year vs managing cap.. I am not sure that argument makes sense at all.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
More misreporting. The president has stated that GWS won't stand in the way of Coniglio moving clubs should he wish to go down that path. He did not say that he is free to go wherever he wants however he wants.

They match and force you to pay more money, they get band 1 FA compo. They seek a trade, they'll be after your first pick and then some. No point bleating about hardball when the clubs you've already said have offered more have earlier picks in the draft.

There is no 'softening' to be done by a token pick swap for Patton. Unless you plan on signing Coniglio as a FA and trading Patton for pick 8 and and 26.
If he leaves gws unless he goes home to wa he will be leaving for a huge free agency offer if reports are right between 1.2 -1.5 million there is no way gws could match a offer that large!

Winning a flag this year vs managing cap.. I am not sure that argument makes sense at all.
It’s about managing risk! Not sure how else it can be said.

Risk v Reward. Is Patton really going to help win a flag at AFL level? Or is he now just going to play out the year in the NEAFL? And if he’s just going to play out the year in the NEAFL, why risk him?

Giants forward line has proven to be fine without needing to rush Patton back in. They simply don’t need him at this point, and if the Giants risk him and he does a Dale Morris they have $800k on the books that they can’t remove.

It’s about managing risk! Not sure how else it can be said.

Risk v Reward. Is Patton really going to help win a flag at AFL level? Or is he now just going to play out the year in the NEAFL? And if he’s just going to play out the year in the NEAFL, why risk him?

Giants forward line has proven to be fine without needing to rush Patton back in. They simply don’t need him at this point, and if the Giants risk him and he does a Dale Morris they have $800k on the books that they can’t remove.

I get what you're saying around risk, but considering how quickly the AFL fortune changes these days - prioritizing Patton's 800k over a premiership sounds a weak argument to me. What would GWS rather prefer? Get Patton ready and match fit so god forbid if something happens to any of Cameron, Himmelberg or Finlayson then Patton is there to step in during finals time (or) just hope to manage it with other players.

A club in a premiership window would rather have all chips to play in my opinion, hence this "let's be conservative and file away Patton, so we can trade him safely" doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying around risk, but considering how quickly the AFL fortune changes these days - prioritizing Patton's 800k over a premiership sounds a weak argument to me. What would GWS rather prefer? Get Patton ready and match fit so god forbid if something happens to any of Cameron, Himmelberg or Finlayson then Patton is there to step in during finals time (or) just hope to manage it with other players.

A club in a premiership window would rather have all chips to play in my opinion, hence this "let's be conservative and file away Patton, so we can trade him safely" doesn't sound right to me.
They wouldn't be prioritizing 800K over a premiership though, they'd be prioritising 800k over having depth in finals.

He's not going to come straight back into that side, and he's not going to win them a flag unless they have something horrible happen to Cameron or Himmelberg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They wouldn't be prioritizing 800K over a premiership though, they'd be prioritising 800k over having depth in finals.

He's not going to come straight back into that side, and he's not going to win them a flag unless they have something horrible happen to Cameron or Himmelberg.

For the bolded bit to occur, he needs to be playing. Gaints would rather have him playing and ready so it's value for the money they are paying him this season than shelve him for trade table at the end of season. He can't be not playing and then magically expected to step in, if, something happens to that forward line creating that void in finals.

The only article I could find puts more weight on Patton's confidence level on the knee, rather than Gaints purposefully keeping him away.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
How about the Photoshop skills from the Hun though?
IMG_20190802_172330.jpeg

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’d honestly like to see the Giants go deep into September & the General get a run if he is up for it.
I think for the Giants it would definitely be a boost to a premiership but it could also increase his trade value.
Hawks & Patton is almost laughable it’s that much a fore gone conclusion.
GWS may just need him in September if he’s up & going

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
No idea what gws are offering I actually think he will stay all I said if reports are true st Kilda blues and north are offering around 1.2-1.5 million a season if he did sign with one of those teams would gws be able to match an offer of 1.2 million a season??

You'd have to ask the GWS list manager. I imagine they could but it would impact their cap position going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back