Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
He is a pick 1, albeit with 2 knee recos.

If I was GWS, I would not have accepted anything under a 2nd round.
Interesting. His output hasn't said anything close to a second round selection. Would you be happy if your side parted with a pick of around thirty for him? I sure as hell wouldn't. I think we did incredibly well to get what we did for him, like we were lucky with Scully.

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting. His output hasn't said anything close to a second round selection. Would you be happy if your side parted with a pick of around thirty for him? I sure as hell wouldn't. I think we did incredibly well to get what we did for him, like we were lucky with Scully.
Thanks for your reply.

I would love Patton at pies for a 2nd.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
So to clarify.

Giants fans are happy.
Hawks fans are happy.

But other clubs supporters not so much.

Weird weird world.
[/QUOTE
So to clarify.

Giants fans are happy.
Hawks fans are happy.

But other clubs supporters not so much.

Weird weird world.
Well giant fans should not be happy letting stuff like this happen is why you’re club will continue to be walked all over you let a player go that was worth a second rounder and you more or less gave him to a rival for free a fourth rounder is worthless you would have gotten better in free agency compo next season
Not going to let it go eh?

Can't accept that he did nothing other than offer an opinion. One he has given for multiple stars at multiple clubs.
I don’t think gill did anything untoward in the coniglio case but if he was smart and acted like a professional he would have kept his opinion to himself all it did was give people ammunition to accuse him of favouritism if coniglio resigned

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I must say I enjoyed reading your bold new take on the principles of market capitalism, on which much of this world is unfortunately predicated.

I look forward to "The Shadow89 Equilibrium" becoming the dominant force in all future human interactions.

Got to sign off now...my boss has just come in demanding we all immediately accept a 20% pay rise. Damn bourgeois pig!
He he

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Well giant fans should not be happy letting stuff like this happen is why you’re club will continue to be walked all over you let a player go that was worth a second rounder and you more or less gave him to a rival for free a fourth rounder is worthless you would have gotten better in free agency compo next season
We are thrilled. A fourth rounder for Patton is a brilliant result. I valued him at a lot less.

For what it's worth, Patton is useless to us. Holding onto him for another season just for the sake of getting better compensation would be terrible list management, but it would also just be a ***t thing to do to a player who has always been very good to us and deserves the best.

Part of the reason our retention is so good, is we have a history of consistently getting players to where they want to go. In our entire history, there's only Cam McCarthy who's request we haven't met (and that was purely because he lied and was very deceitful prior to his departure)- and even then, we got him there the season after. We keep the players we want because we know that we do the right thing by them.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
We are thrilled. A fourth rounder for Patton is a brilliant result. I valued him at a lot less.

For what it's worth, Patton is useless to us. Holding onto him for another season just for the sake of getting better compensation would be terrible list management, but it would also just be a ***t thing to do to a player who has always been very good to us and deserves the best.

Part of the reason our retention is so good, is we have a history of consistently getting players to where they want to go. In our entire history, there's only Cam McCarthy who's request we haven't met (and that was purely because he lied and was very deceitful prior to his departure)- and even then, we got him there the season after. We keep the players we want because we know that we do the right thing by them.

It won't work mate. People don't understand that actually helping players out when they want to leave is also part of a decent trade, let alone that salary cap or whatever also comes into play. In my opinion the average AFL supporter is conditioned into this 'draft pick number' mindset without any analysis of the broader factors involved in trading such as reputation, helping another club out when you don't have to etc.

It was only a couple of years ago that SOS came to the party to help give us a second rounder for the O'Meara trade - from memory Carlton had no real reason to do that other than bank a favour, they'll get back. The Cats also tend to be smart about how they trade.

I find it funny that the clubs who historically are 'good' to trade with (Hawks/Cats/Swans/GWS) tend to get good outcomes from trades, while the Dons (for example) sit around wondering why noone ever gives them a break.

JeddaB

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2008
The burbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wait.

So ITT we have neutrals from teams that are struggling to get their deals done by either wanting too much/offering too little, or just difficult to deal with overall telling the 2 clubs supporters involved they shouldn't be happy who eventhough their both professional and easy to deal with?

The neutrals here funnily enough haven't tasted success or even been in a position to give it a shake.

Then we have the other side of the coin with neutrals saying it's a good trade for all involved, and luck would have it, they seem to support clubs with the polar opposite success trajectory as the previously mentioned neutrals.

It's crazy isn't it? Almost like some teams and their followers are focused on 'winning' completely different parts of the year.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't see how people are making such a fuss of this.

a) Jon requests a trade to Hawthorn, because he knows we have a good medical team and he just wants to be at Hawthorn.
b) Jon's salary at GWS was very high, meaning GWS were happy to trade him away for the sole purpose of bringing them some salary cap relief, which will go a long way to helping them resign Jeremy Cameron and Lachie Whitfield.
c) We traded Melbournes future 4th round pick, which could be as high as pick 55(roughly) if Melbourne finish low on the ladder again.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Don't see how people are making such a fuss of this.

More to the point, who cares?

We've secured our 2 trade targets already…Because our club isn't interested in playing along with Gill & Murdoch's stupid ratings game, of testing their supporters nerves to the end, just for more advertising revenue.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
More to the point, who cares?

We've secured our 2 trade targets already…Because our club isn't interested in playing along with Gill & Murdoch's stupid ratings game, of testing their supporters nerves to the end, just for more advertising revenue.
Maybe a question for another thread, but are Hawks fans disappointed that the club didn't line up another target after Coniglio fell through?

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not going to let it go eh?

Can't accept that he did nothing other than offer an opinion. One he has given for multiple stars at multiple clubs.

I think we all know it was a bit more than that.

But Im not one that has been complaining about it, I like the Giants and it looks like it has galvanised them too so more power to them. Im not going to sweat on whether or not we lost a player we never had.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I think we all know it was a bit more than that.

But Im not one that has been complaining about it, I like the Giants and it looks like it has galvanised them too so more power to them. Im not going to sweat on whether or not we lost a player we never had.

Was it? He said the same thing about wanting Cripps and Danger staying.

Unless you have some link or anything else showing it was anything more than a personal opinion then that's all it was.

He chose to stay loyal when the money per year was bigger elsewhere.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Was it? He said the same thing about wanting Cripps and Danger staying.

Unless you have some link or anything else showing it was anything more than a personal opinion then that's all it was.

He chose to stay loyal when the money per year was bigger elsewhere.

Reckon the ambassasorial role & payment makes it rather obvious....Gill then compounded that BRIBE by lying, in saying that Coniglio had signed on for the Giants for less than Melbourne clubs were offering.....A 7 year deal on $1 million per annum + Ambassadorial payments thrown in on top of that, says otherwise.

Not to mention Cogs phone call to Clarko to apologise for having changed his mind.

Last I checked 1+ 1 = 2 in the real world.

Anyhow, this is a convo for another thread…..You Giants posters need to stop stinking up this one with the Cogs trolling.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Reckon the ambassasorial role & payment makes it rather obvious....Gill then compounded that BRIBE by lying, in saying that Coniglio had signed on for the Giants for less than Melbourne clubs were offering.....A 7 year deal on $1 million per annum + Ambassadorial payments thrown in on top of that, says otherwise.

Not to mention Cogs phone call to Clarko to apologise for having changed his mind.

Last I checked 1+ 1 = 2 in the real world.

Anyhow, this is a convo for another thread…..You Giants posters need to stop stinking up this one with the Cogs trolling.

Been an ambassador for some time(and doesn't get the biggest payment of the ambassador players) and from all reports has not gotten an increase this year.

He has signed for less. Your tinfoil hat outrage he didn't sign for you doesn't change that.

You Hawks fans need to stop clogging threads with tinfoil hat theories and mock outrage because your club was rejected.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Just to update you less fortunate* supporters of other clubs. Big Jonathan is on modified training for the time being, but is taking part in most drills. not with the rehab group.

* Its a self inflicted situation so there you go

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You Hawks fans need to stop clogging threads with tinfoil hat theories and mock outrage because your club was rejected.

Our club wasn't rejected at all....Gilligan simply bent the rules (again) to ensure you kept Coniglio…..That much is patently obvious.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Our club wasn't rejected at all....Gilligan simply bent the rules (again) to ensure you kept Coniglio…..That much is patently obvious.
See a doctor. Blame game will never help you.

Credit where credit is due though you guys have a great medico team

If Cogs isn't playing at your mob, and you put an offer in, he obviously said no. Therefore your mob were rejected.
Making up stories to help fix your bruised ego isn't healthy for you mate.

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
See a doctor. Blame game will never help you.

Credit where credit is due though you guys have a great medico team

If Cogs isn't playing at your mob, and you put an offer in, he obviously said no. Therefore your mob were rejected.
Making up stories to help fix your bruised ego isn't healthy for you mate.
He most certainly rejected our offer. That we can't argue.

What we can say is he wouldn't be at the Giants without the AFL bending the rules for their baby.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
He most certainly rejected our offer. That we can't argue.

What we can say is he wouldn't be at the Giants without the AFL bending the rules for their baby.

Evidence of this? In anyway shape or form?

By all reports in the media he took less to stay.

You guys really are acting like jilted lovers.

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Evidence of this? In anyway shape or form?

By all reports in the media he took less to stay.

You guys really are acting like jilted lovers.
He took less in the salary cap to stay.

He may have a good side sponsorship deal PLUS ambassador deal though

Back