Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

So you confirm your saying players aren't taking unders to stay.

Even though Kelly, Greene and Cameron all are well known to have at the least.

Your arrogance continues to shine.
Jeremy Cameron is reportedly on a massive back ended deal that has him one of if not the highest paid player in the competition at the moment... You keep mentioning him like he is on 500k or something.

Kelly and Greene both took less than they could have elsewhere so sure that is 'unders' but Toby Greene is still on close to a mil a year.

When is the big fella due back to the Neafl? Anyone got an update on how he is progressing?

Nothing has come from the club and it has been a year this coming week since he did it
His first 2 were his right knee and the latest his left
The club médicos have been very conservative with injury management this year and he can’t be too far away
Also the club rehab reports have only really had more significant news regarding updates so maybe we will get a 2 week notice before he is ready

Jeremy Cameron is reportedly on a massive back ended deal that has him one of if not the highest paid player in the competition at the moment... You keep mentioning him like he is on 500k or something.

Kelly and Greene both took less than they could have elsewhere so sure that is 'unders' but Toby Greene is still on close to a mil a year.

He was offered more from Adeliade.

Yes unders. Exactly what ive been saying.

Wouldn't that be subject to capital gains tax of 50% therefore only netting said player $415K and handing over to the ATO $415K.
It would have to be 12 months minimum as a primary residence.
You don’t ever pay capital gain tax on a primary residence.

12 months refers to an investment that you sold and you pay half capital gains tax.

There are definitely some GWS players who have stayed for unders. I reckon those that have, are probably feeling a bit ripped off though considering the amount of coin GWS has paid overs to other players.

This is all good and fine and GWS have assembled a great side, but if one of the guys who are currently being paid overs (e.g. J Cameron) decides to up and leave anyway as soon as FA eligible, I reckon plenty of the guys who have stayed for unders who have no real desire to live in Sydney will get a bit annoyed as well and start looking at options.
Blokes accepting unders is good, but it's important that clubs don't dick around their players by offering overs to others. For example, it happened with the Hawks and Vickery being paid overs, while you have guys like Schoenmakers who are happy to accept very small coin in comparison to others due to being loyal.

Blokes accepting unders is good, but it's important that clubs don't dick around their players by offering overs to others. For example, it happened with the Hawks and Vickery being paid overs, while you have guys like Schoenmakers who are happy to accept very small coin in comparison to others due to being loyal.
Vickery didn’t get paid overs.

He got paid a specific amount that triggered Richmond recieving a second round pick so that no trade had to be done.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vickery didn’t get paid overs.

He got paid a specific amount that triggered Richmond relieving a second round pick and no trade had to be done.
Let's be real, that "specific amount" was about 500k per year, and that meant Vickery was amongst Hawthorn's top-paid players (more than likely amongst the club's top 10). Vickery was definitely being paid more than the vast majority of players on Hawthorn's list, and to put this in perspective that includes being paid more than great clubmen like Paul Puopolo and Liam Shiels. That's overs in my opinion. I understand that Vickery was at its core an insurance policy, but he ended up being an unneeded one, and he really wasn't worth the money.

Nothing has come from the club and it has been a year this coming week since he did it
His first 2 were his right knee and the latest his left
The club médicos have been very conservative with injury management this year and he can’t be too far away
Also the club rehab reports have only really had more significant news regarding updates so maybe we will get a 2 week notice before he is ready

He will be traded unless something horribly goes wrong with Himmelberg or Finlayson in the back end of the season

They will look after him on the training paddock and have him in tip top shape for a trade, has been and will be kept behind closed doors

Will only play 2nds this year if 1-2 of the other key forwards go down as cant risk the trade

The media will play on he is a risk from his injuries etc etc but we all know from Scully he was almost ready to play last years finals yet come October the media and both clubs went with we dont know when he will return yet played from rd.2

Club not getting value for money and will be effectively a salary dump come Oct and a late 2nd / or high 3rd will do the job because they will play on the injury yet will be ready but will be a $$ dump, unless Ceglar comes back into the mix

He is a quite lad and will struggle in the Melbourne bubble and spotlight to go with it

Vickery played 6 games. I'd say $500k a season is probably overs.

Patton worth a punt with a pick 20-30.

If Giants were smart they should work out a deal for Ceglar

Maybe to Haw :
Patton
Rd.3 pick (poss. pick #52)

Maybe to GWS :
Ceglar
Rd. 5 pick (poss. pick #80)

Its a salary dump so GWS will have to send the lower pick, with the BS factor thrown in about injury / risk etc

Let's be real, that "specific amount" was about 500k per year, and that meant Vickery was amongst Hawthorn's top-paid players (more than likely amongst the club's top 10). Vickery was definitely being paid more than the vast majority of players on Hawthorn's list, and to put this in perspective that includes being paid more than great clubmen like Paul Puopolo and Liam Shiels. That's overs in my opinion. I understand that Vickery was at its core an insurance policy, but he ended up being an unneeded one, and he really wasn't worth the money.
You don’t actually know what others were being paid, so statements like “Vickery was definitely being paid more than the vast majority of players on Hawthorn's list” are just rubbish.

Besides, the premise of your statement was that this supposed overpaying of Vickery was ”dicking around others”....yet none of these others have shown any discontent.
In fact, quite the opposite, with the players who you have named turning down other clubs in order to stay at Hawthorn.

You don’t actually know what others were being paid, so statements like “Vickery was definitely being paid more than the vast majority of players on Hawthorn's list” are just rubbish.

Besides, the premise of your statement was that this supposed overpaying of Vickery was ”dicking around others”....yet none of these others have shown any discontent.
In fact, quite the opposite, with the players who you have named turning down other clubs in order to stay at Hawthorn.
Statements like that aren't rubbish when we know that Vickery had to be paid a certain amount to qualify for a second round compensation pick. That's around 500k. No ifs. No buts. We also know for example that Shiels was set to be an unrestricted free agent before his contract was extended in 2018, which means his contract was definitely less than Vickery's. So yes, I know for a fact that 'Vickery was being paid more than the vast majority of player's on Hawthorn's list' just by looking at the compensation pick alone.

I'll also point out that I never mentioned player discontent. That's your premise. Not mine. I only said that it's not good to dick loyal players around. For example, the same time Ty Vickery joined the Hawks, Jordan Lewis left... it'll be silly to say that there was a falling out or whatever... but to be willing to pay Vickery such a large sum of money and unwilling to give Lewis a contract extension for more than a year... that's what I mean by dicking around your longtime clubmen, and I think that's a fair point.

Last edited:
Statements like that aren't rubbish when we know that Vickery had to be paid a certain amount to qualify for a second round compensation pick. That's around 500k. No ifs. No buts. We also know for example that Shiels was set to be an unrestricted free agent before his contract was extended in 2018, which means his contract was definitely less than Vickery's. So yes, I know for a fact that 'Vickery was being paid more than the vast majority of player's on Hawthorn's list' just by looking at the compensation pick alone.

I'll also point out that I never mentioned player discontent. That's your premise. Not mine. I only said that it's not good to dick loyal players around. For example, the same time Ty Vickery joined the Hawks, Jordan Lewis left... it'll be silly to say that there was a falling out or whatever... but being willing to pay Vickery such a large sum of money and unwilling to give Lewis a contract extension for more than a year... that's what I mean by dicking around your longtime clubmen, and I think that's a fair point.
This is ridiculous. Knowing one person was paid 500K and another was due to be a RFA does not give you the keys to the accounts books..... you simply do not know what others were being paid.

As for Lewis, he was washed up and Vickery was a necessity for the list due to the lack of fit ruckman we had at the time, he was not "dicked around' due to Vickery's contract...his contract was not extended because the game was passing him by.

This is ridiculous. Knowing one person was paid 500K and another was due to be a RFA does not give you the keys to the accounts books..... you simply do not know what others were being paid.

As for Lewis, he was washed up and Vickery was a necessity for the list due to the lack of fit ruckman we had at the time, he was not "dicked around' due to Vickery's contract...his contract was not extended because the game was passing him by.
Being paid 500k means you're amongst the top 10 paid in your club. Being an unrestricted free agent means you're definitely not amongst the top 10 (otherwise you wouldn't be an unrestricted free agent). It's really that simple and no looking at accounts books is necessary. If you're unwilling to accept that, that's fine. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Also, Lewis has since played almost 40 games for Melbourne. To say he was washed up is rubbish. The bloke played 19 games in 2017 (compared to Vickery's 6) and 24 games last year in 2018. In any case, your premise has been that Vickery wasn't paid overs. He clearly was.

Being paid 500k means you're amongst the top 10 paid in your club. Being an unrestricted free agent means you're definitely not amongst the top 10 (otherwise you wouldn't be an unrestricted free agent). It's really that simple and no looking at accounts books is necessary. If you're unwilling to accept that, that's fine. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Also, Lewis has since played almost 40 games for Melbourne. To say he was washed up is rubbish. The bloke played 19 games in 2017 (compared to Vickery's 6) and 24 games last year in 2018. In any case, your premise has been that Vickery wasn't paid overs. He clearly was.
So knowing two players ball park salaries means you’ve got a full understanding of the entire list?
Yeah, I think we’ll agree to disagree.

Lewis was on the decline, and as Melbourne soon found out was not up to playing out entire games as a Mid.

Vickery was paid the amount required for Richmond to let him walk. End of story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back