Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

Still waiting for a better offer for Patton... from anyone.

GWS have traded:

- Tyson for pick swaps
- Adams for Shaw (fair for all)
- Treloar for good picks
- Shiel for good picks
- Boyd for a good pick and Griffen
- Bruce for nothing (turned out a decent player)
- O'Rourke for pick 19
- Jaksch and Whiley for pick 7 (who?)
- Frost for pick swaps
- Any number of players to Carlton
- Steele to St Kilda for a 2nd round pick
- Ahern for nothing
- Stewart for nothing
- Smith for pick 11 and swaps
- Wilson for a second round pick
- Scully for nothing
- Lobb for 11 and a first round downgrade
- Patton for nothing

How many trades in the last 8-9 years have GWS lost badly? They could never keep everyone given they started with 50 odd players and a bunch of highly rated ones who would eventually command fat pay cheques. In an ideal world they don't do every single one of those trades but they usually get good value for good players going out and they've outperformed pretty much every team they've trade with anyway.

Patton might have a good 2020 and beyond and good luck to him, but I doubt GWS will be ruing not pushing for pick 50 instead of 60.

Terrible trade for Hawthorn. This guy is unfortunately cooked. List clogger.

I have no doubt we'll shed some kg off him to try to avoid further ACL's, but fair to say verdict is still out on what he'll offer, given his injury history.

Has a decent upside, given his last full season in 2017, he kicked more goals than the leading goal kicker at Essendon managed in both 2018 and 2019. Only 26, making him less than a year older than say Daniher and only averages 0.3 goals per game less than Daniher, despite his development being somewhat more hampered than Daniher's - although obviously they've both had injury issues.

At the price paid, he's definitely worth the punt.

I don’t understand why gws let themselves get shafted like that Patton was still worth a 2nd rounder if hawthorn didn’t want to cough up then tell them to go and get f## and send him to the draft they had nothing to lose a 4 rd pick is worthless

it’s a salary cap dump. Patton was still contracted to GWS, would have been a free agent next year. How much compo would GWS have got next year if he left?

its a win-win for both clubs.

More correctly, the deal was...
Hawthorn took on Patton for a token pick and a big chunk of salary cap.
Hawks deal with Patton is not his current one. Way less.

Remember the last bloke the hawks got who had dodgy knees and everyone said was shot.

Iirc he ended up going alright

You'll need to be more specific....Burgoyne or O'Meara?

So to clarify.

Giants fans are happy.
Hawks fans are happy.

But other clubs supporters not so much.

Weird weird world.

More a Win /Win /Whinge World.

So to clarify.

Giants fans are happy.
Hawks fans are happy.

Weird weird world.

Some Giants fans are gloating they offloaded a player they don't need who was costing them a fortune.

Some Hawks fans are gloating they picked up another good player for nothing.

Some opposition fans have the jimmies rustled because... well I'm not really sure why that is. GWS traded a contracted player. Salary considerations aside they didn't have to, and all 17 clubs are permitted to talk to Patton's manager.

Jono was a pioneer and fine contributor to the club. He has shown loyalty through the journey and played really well when up and about.

Hopefully he is past the worst of his injuries and can have a sustained injury free run for the balance of his career.

From a playing perspective he is a sensational contested mark and has wonderful field kicking skills and touch that bely his size. In front of goal he has a big leg on him and generally finishes quite well.

If there is a knock it’s probably his sideways movement and agility. We put a lot of weight on him building him up to be a key and that probably hurt him after the knees and he sometimes gets found out in contests.

I reckon with a good break to heal and a different body shape he can still be a very good player. Wish him all the very best :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 ACLs is an entirely different kettle of fish from Jaegar who just had one horrific injury but good luck to the bloke.
Shaun Burgoyne.

He was absolutely cooked when he came to Hawthorn according to bigfooty.

Was going to be lucky to get back on the field. 🤣

Guess this one benefits both parties.
Patton is a risk given his ACL history, but on talent he’s good value and by the sounds of it he’s coming in at ok value on an extended and restructured deal.
GWS would have hoped for the pick to be one round higher, you’d have thought, but I guess given their cap distribution strategy, they aren’t keen on players on mid-tier wages where they can’t be sure of output.
Good luck to Patton, that’s the main thing, deserves a bit of better fortune.

Because Hawthorn genuinely overpaid for both players in trade value. Scully was diabolical this year and Patton was worth a seventh rounder at most. Not to mention th fact that Hawthorn have kindly helped us clear more room for Coniglio and Whitfield.... Wrighty and Clarko have been incredibly generous to us in my opinion.

Scully:

Last year we traded this year's Gold Coast 4th round pick for Scully.

Currently, that's sitting at pick 59.

Over the course of the drafting system, pick 59 has averaged....24 games. So far Scully has played 21 games. It's probable that he will pass the three more games required to better the average. More than that, he averaged just under 19 disposals a game & 2.5 tackles. Not bad for a player who was said to be cooked.

Patton:

Patton's 4th round pick, will fall somewhere around that mark next year, maybe as high as mid-50s or as low as mid 70s, depending on Melbourne's position + the compromised nature of next years draft. Accordingly, the average across that pick range is roughly 30 games, give or take.

The whole point being that pick's largely outside the top 10 and especially the first round, fall off statistically like an anvil. Picks in the 4th round drop to about 30 games on average and are pretty high risk.

To say Hawthorn have overpaid is just silliness and deserves a silly response.

Just one of those win win win deals.

Patton secures a move for his own future and back home.
Hawthorn fill a big structural need in a KPF on the cheap with loads of upside should they get his body right.
GWS have one less big salary to worry about to help secure their more important pieces.

3 ACLs is an entirely different kettle of fish from Jaegar who just had one horrific injury but good luck to the bloke.

Yeah i was talking about burgoyne, i forgot jager even existed tbh

McCartney was posturing that a suitable trade of fair value would be required, they weren't just going to give him away. End result?

"Yeah a future 4th (that we probably won't use) is fine..."

:drunk:
Had all to do with ensuring the Hawks lay the entirety of Patton's contract from my understanding. Nothing to do with the trade itself.

Patton is 27 next year so not young, and coming off multiple knee injuries.

Effectively this is a case of medical staff vs long term untried kid.

If Hawks medical/fitness staff can get Patton up to speed then they get a good power forward target for a few years. I don't really see him becoming the star he could have been as a junior at this age and history but they didn't trade that pick for a star.

The alternative is an untried kid who most likely falls into the AFL scrap heap based on percentages, however you are also throwing away the chance at picking up a 300 game late gem or 200 game solid role player. Less likely though.

Other clubs could do it, there isn't anything groundbreaking here, North Melbourne did something similar with Ahern, they are coming cheap because of injury history and GWS having other priorities with their salary cap.

So to clarify.

Giants fans are happy.
Hawks fans are happy.

Weird weird world.

I am happy.

I like Patton and Hawthorn have a good history of getting guys back on the park.

Has he taken a pay cut to join Hawthorn or has he signed a small extension and they are splitting his salary next year over 2 years?

He is on big coin now but they keep saying his salary will be lower next season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back