Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am happy.

I like Patton and Hawthorn have a good history of getting guys back on the park.

Has he taken a pay cut to join Hawthorn or has he signed a small extension and they are splitting his salary next year over 2 years?

He is on big coin now but they keep saying his salary will be lower next season?

I assume we gave him 3 years worth 50% or 60% more in total than his final year with GWS. Probably a 4th year clause based on the number of games played in his 3rd year.

Something sensible for both player and club. We dont tend to make silly offers unless desperate.

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Had all to do with ensuring the Hawks lay the entirety of Patton's contract from my understanding. Nothing to do with the trade itself.
The Hawks don't have to pay Patton's Giants contract. Once he's traded it is up to him and Hawthorn to decide upon terms of a new contract. GWS needed Patton's contract off the books, nothing more.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are Hawthorn ever going to pay GWS for anything? Lol. Consecutive years and consecutive future 4th round picks for former Number 1 draft picks...doesn't make sense to me. I understand the salary dump part, but these are essentially free agents, just walking to Hawthorn for a token pick. Scrimshaw, former Pick 7...same thing.

This is honestly a genuine question, is Hawthorn's 'network' of assistant coaches giving them favourable deals at clubs they have connections with?

It's not like it's just a one off anymore. Scully, Scrimshaw and Patton all former Top 10 picks, all for nothing picks and still with a fair chunk of their careers left.

It's all getting a bit odd, and frankly, a little suspect

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
The Hawks don't have to pay Patton's Giants contract. Once he's traded it is up to him and Hawthorn to decide upon terms of a new contract. GWS needed Patton's contract off the books, nothing more.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Only if Patton agrees to do so (which I assume he will for what it's worth, the Hawks will kick in a couple of extra years to make it worth his while). Until then, the Hawks are on the hook for the terms of his existing contract.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
So to clarify.

Giants fans are happy.
Hawks fans are happy.

But other clubs supporters not so much.

Weird weird world.
[/QUOTE
So to clarify.

Giants fans are happy.
Hawks fans are happy.

But other clubs supporters not so much.

Weird weird world.
Well giant fans should not be happy letting stuff like this happen is why you’re club will continue to be walked all over you let a player go that was worth a second rounder and you more or less gave him to a rival for free a fourth rounder is worthless you would have gotten better in free agency compo next season

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Well giant fans should not be happy letting stuff like this happen is why you’re club will continue to be walked all over you let a player go that was worth a second rounder and you more or less gave him to a rival for free a fourth rounder is worthless you would have gotten better in free agency compo next season
We can agree to disagree, but a fourth rounder is an excellent result for the Giants. I'm thrilled as I didn't think we'd be able to find any suitors for him, let alone one who thought he was worth a fourth rounder.

Second rounder is your opinion of Patton's worth, a seventh rounder was my opinion of Patton's worth and the two clubs involved agreed that he was worth a fourth rounder. That's how trading works, but myself and many other Giants fans think we got very lucky with a fourth.

It's always disappointing to lose an inaugural player, but Patton on-field worth to us was non-existent.

Surely you guys should be doing a favour for GWS and giving them a half decent pick, given the absolute steal you got with Scully? Instead though, you're just focusing on what your club wants, but not giving anything back.

Even if you really needed that pick for Finn, then you should have just given up a Future 3rd at least (which is what the Giants asked for) instead of a nothing Future 4th in a heavily compromised draft.

If you look at it objectively, Giants asked for a 3rd rounder, and you wouldn't even give them that...despite their good will with Scully.

I must say I enjoyed reading your bold new take on the principles of market capitalism, on which much of this world is unfortunately predicated.

I look forward to "The Shadow89 Equilibrium" becoming the dominant force in all future human interactions.

Got to sign off now...my boss has just come in demanding we all immediately accept a 20% pay rise. Damn bourgeois pig!

Last edited:
honestly; this trade stinks like a thousand monkey assholes.

It doesn't really.

GWS are simply being mature with their player management. The only reason the Hawks are in a position to make this deal where other clubs aren't is that we have such a solid record in managing knee injuries.

If we weren't interested, GWS would have dealt with another club for similar recompense.

Rosscoe

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
It doesn't really.

GWS are simply being mature with their player management. The only reason the Hawks are in a position to make this deal where other clubs aren't is that we have such a solid record in managing knee injuries.

If we weren't interested, GWS would have dealt with another club for similar recompense.

yeah nah...over and out

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't forget the Hawks let guys Like Mitchell and Lewis go for basically nothing so we would have the cap space down the line to take on risks like this.

We've also been super strict with our salary structure, and maybe missed out on a player or 2 because of it, but with many other teams playing overs to get or keep players it lets us pick up the fallout and pay not much trade wise as teams are pressed for cap space and are happy to dump players.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Not seeing the whole picture I see.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
He is a pick 1, albeit with 2 knee recos.

If I was GWS, I would not have accepted anything under a 2nd round.
and what happens when we refuse to pay it and they get stuck with his contract?

They don’t need a 2nd round pick, they need cap space.

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
and what happens when we refuse to pay it and they get stuck with his contract?

They don’t need a 2nd round pick, they need cap space.
Well if GWS wanted him gone, not much they could do.

However, doesn't change my point that hawks have stolen another trade.

Well done hawks. I am jealous.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Giants were given 20 top 20 picks.

How would you keep them all on the books?

They are doing the sensible thing. The only issue is the occasional meddling by Gil. Other than that this is exactly what you would expect would happen. They identify the players they dont want to lose. They let go of the ones they are okay losing.

And when a required player wants to go they play hardball and get as much as they can (Treloar, Shiel being the 2 obvious ones).

Back