Traded Jonathon Patton [traded to Hawthorn for Future 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

eldorado and Procrastinator35 , please don't dismiss me simply because I support a "Northern team" as I'm asking this question in good faith, but have you got any sources that Hawthorn rejected Shiel? I've searched this morning for about ten minutes but can't find anything reported whatsoever.

Have the media completely missed it and is it one of those things that only those on the inner sanctum know about?

The asking price of 2 first rounders was overs.....The Bombers were prepared to meet that & we weren't.....There's nothing complex about it.

We turned our attention towards securing Wingard once we got wind of the fact that he was indeed 'gettable'.

The asking price of 2 first rounders was overs.....The Bombers were prepared to meet that & we weren't.....There's nothing complex about it.

We turned our attention towards securing Wingard once we got wind of the fact that he was indeed 'gettable'.
That sounds quite plausible and is a lot more accurate than "Hawthorn rejected Shiel, we were his first choice".

That sounds quite plausible and is a lot more accurate than "Hawthorn rejected Shiel, we were his first choice".
Tom-ay-to, tom-ar-to.

People on BigFooty use/read the term "rejected" like some sort of primary school insult. Reality is, Hawthorn not wanting to pay 2 firsts for Shiel is not a negative reflection on how they view him as a player. Nor is Cogs choosing to stay a negative reflection on how he's views Hawthorn or Carlton. Had we picked up Shiel, we'd probably be happy with him. Had Cogs moved to Hawthorn or Carlton, he'd probably be happy there too.

But on BigFooty it's all about "winning" and "losing" trades. Fans may bang on about it, but the clubs and players move on pretty quick.

Off topic a bit here*, but I believe Patton has done some contact work against Frost. Not sure how much though.

* Irony intended

It sounds plausible until you find out that Shiel called Clarkson personally to inform him of his choice to go to Essendon.

Why would he call him to tell him he chose Essendon if Hawthorn had already pulled out of the race?

Much like the Cogs "Gil money' it is a coping mechanism for Hawks fans due to him choosing somebody else.

They also called Lynch a mercenary after he chose Richmond over them.

Not all of them of course. Just the loud ones.

It sounds plausible until you find out that Shiel called Clarkson personally to inform him of his choice to go to Essendon.

Why would he call him to tell him he chose Essendon if Hawthorn had already pulled out of the race?

Much like the Cogs "Gil money' it is a coping mechanism for Hawks fans due to him choosing somebody else.

hartley says hi

Yep. Hawthorn and Carlton were all in on Shiel. We were both beaten by the Essendon WhiteShoe Brigade of property developers .

I'll resist the temptation to say both clubs got a lucky break til i see how Dylan goes next year once he's settled in a bit and not trying too hard like he was this year.

If salaries were publicly disclosed like the NBA so fans could do their own cap calculator and see how it all works then these deals could make a lot more sense.

Selling the reason for a trade as a salary cap dump doesn't really work if there's no transparency around the numbers.

That's the reason it does work, because fans don't know the real truth.

Quite apart from the fact that this thread is actually about Patton.....We're more than happy having Wingard over the turn-over merchant in Shiel.

Though the Giants did owe us one for jacking up the asking price in ensuring the Bombers parted with 2 first rounders for him.....In the meantime, we secured both Scully & Patton for nix.

Yep....The Bombers were the big winners here for sure.

Perspective.....Some have it, some don't.

Quite apart from the fact that this thread is actually about Patton.....We're more than happy having Wingard over the turn-over merchant in Shiel.

Though the Giants did owe us one for jacking up the asking price in ensuring the Bombers parted with 2 first rounders for him.....In the meantime, we secured both Scully & Patton for nix.

Yep....The Bombers were the big winners here for sure.

Perspective.....Some have it, some don't.

Classic.

Ignores the point made completely.

Buisness as usual I see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see how people are making such a fuss of this.

a) Jon requests a trade to Hawthorn, because he knows we have a good medical team and he just wants to be at Hawthorn.
b) Jon's salary at GWS was very high, meaning GWS were happy to trade him away for the sole purpose of bringing them some salary cap relief, which will go a long way to helping them resign Jeremy Cameron and Lachie Whitfield.
c) We traded Melbournes future 4th round pick, which could be as high as pick 55(roughly) if Melbourne finish low on the ladder again.

good for both teams and for the player. Patton gets a fresh start.

literally nothing wrong with this trade imo.

good for both teams and for the player. Patton gets a fresh start.....literally nothing wrong with this trade imo.

Unless, of course, both he & Scully both start off the season like a house on fire.....Then wait for all the mega-meltdowns all over big footy en-masse.

Unless, of course, both he & Scully both start off the season like a house on fire.....Then wait for all the mega-meltdowns all over big footy en-masse.
Very low chance of that happening.

To get a couple of picks in the sixties for those two was great work by Cameron and McCartney.

Not at all. He was terrible for the most part.

From what I saw of the Hawks this season, Scully had no trouble finding the pill, but his disposal/kicking left a lot to be desired (perhaps understandable given his injury problems over the years)

Sure.....2 former number 1 draft picks in the prime of their careers age-wise, & injury free.....Very low chance indeed.:drunk:

Collectively, you Giants posters provide for a good old hoot around these parts.
Injury free? Both are cooked. There's a reason we gave them away so cheaply yet are still thrilled that we got any compensation at all.

Injury free? Both are cooked. There's a reason we gave them away so cheaply yet are still thrilled that we got any compensation at all.

It's ok mate relax, I'm comfortable that Patton is not cooked. You have Finlayson who has plenty of upside (only way is up since last performance).

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back