Unsolved JonBenet Ramsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to an old Murder Squad episode on this

Apparently the ransom note has similar undertones and phrasing to the Movie Ransom which had been released 6 weeks previously

There is also a Speed reference as well

I also recall the Beirut kidnappings happening at the time with executions and beheading etc

So in some peoples opinion it's cobbled from cultural tropes

I think even with DNA evidence there will be a lot of web-sleuths that won't be able to accept anyone other than their 'favorite suspect' with this case.

Whether it should be or not, I think the Ramsey case is a lot bigger than the whodunnit aspect and even the death of a child. It is a case study in predatory tabloids, early internet community, police incompetency, it even strays into racial bias/American classism.

I guess what I mean is after it's solved, if it ever is, there will still be many things about the case worth thinking about.

Just listened to an old Murder Squad episode on this

Apparently the ransom note has similar undertones and phrasing to the Movie Ransom which had been released 6 weeks previously

There is also a Speed reference as well

I also recall the Beirut kidnappings happening at the time with executions and beheading etc

So in some peoples opinion it's cobbled from cultural tropes

It's weird but brings to mind someone who has a very rich fantasy life, sits alone in his bedroom most of the time watching movies.

This podcast I found is quite good for anybody with a keen interest in the case. The host is a forensic scientist, English isn't her first language but she is very precise even if it takes a little while to get used to her style. She's got files.

Off the top of my head, things I didn't know before:

There was a latex glove found in one of the Ramsey's neighbours bins nobody can account for
A baseball bat found in a neighbours front yard or near the butler's door accordingly (Edit: It had fibres on it from the basement)
The flashlight in the kitchen didn't belong to the Ramseys
The Ramseys didn't hire lawyers straight up, one of their friends took it upon himself to do it
One loose High-Tek boot the same as the print found next to JonBenet showed up in the neighbourhood
There was evidence of forced entry. Not through the basement window but external doors.

Something I didn't notice before, was that whoever wrote the ransom note didn't use JonBenet's name at all, not once through that long ramble. It's thought by investigators that it could have been because they didn't know how to spell it.

JBRbat.jpg

Last edited:
Never posted much if at all on this board but will make a concerted effort to do so this year, love a good crime doco and going over the various theories out there.

Will have a listen to the podcast above for sure. Cheers for the tag LicoriceAllsorts

I just recalled something else that stood out. The suitcase under the basement window contained a blanket and a sham (decorative pillowcase), the fibres of which were found on JonBenet's pyjamas and on her body. The offender may have tried to stuff her into the suitcase to get her out the basement window, when that didn't work, moved her to the room in the most remote corner of the basement.

It's weird but brings to mind someone who has a very rich fantasy life, sits alone in his bedroom most of the time watching movies.
Or the opposite? You couldn’t sit in your bedroom and get access to the latest films back then?

theatre would have been the only place to catch ‘ransom’ within 6 weeks of release?

Then again, no way a once-off casual theatre goer regurgitates lines from a movie though..you have to see it a few times

Or the opposite? You couldn’t sit in your bedroom and get access to the latest films back then?

theatre would have been the only place to catch ‘ransom’ within 6 weeks of release?

Then again, no way a once-off casual theatre goer regurgitates lines from a movie though..you have to see it a few times

The police checked video rental stores looking for any Ramsey's accounts, it got nowhere. They hadn't rented any of the relevant movies.

interesting to see the first crime scene photos, the house is pretty much snow bound. there were no unaccounted footprints in the snow. And no footprints leading away from the basement window. if it was an unknown offender, he's either still in the house, or crept out the front door. Sad thing to happen around xmas time. a domestic incident for mind

interesting to see the first crime scene photos, the house is pretty much snow bound. there were no unaccounted footprints in the snow. And no footprints leading away from the basement window. if it was an unknown offender, he's either still in the house, or crept out the front door. Sad thing to happen around xmas time. a domestic incident for mind

You can't see the back of the house.

Edit: I'm also seeing that while there was snow, it hadn't settled on the paved walkways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside job, amazed if it ever turned out not to be.

In that sense a boring case, but the kidnap note makes it endlessly fascinating. I can read it again and again and try to imagine Patsy concocting it on the fly at 4AM with her daughter dead beside her..drafting it, starting it again..I feel like there needs to be a split personality involved for that all to make sense.

Most interesting crime-related note ever written IMO

ever see interviews with the son?. wild and crazy eyes darting all over the place. I was confident he knew more than he was telling. Also had many years to rewrite the script in his own head.. till it became the truth... I had the same ill-feeling when watching one of the Chamberlin interviews

I just recalled something else that stood out. The suitcase under the basement window contained a blanket and a sham (decorative pillowcase), the fibres of which were found on JonBenet's pyjamas and on her body. The offender may have tried to stuff her into the suitcase to get her out the basement window, when that didn't work, moved her to the room in the most remote corner of the basement.

I'm fairly sure l've read that the blanket in the suitcase had DNA from Jon-Benet's half-brother, John Andrew. Some sources say it actually had his semen on it.
However, John Andrew did not commit this crime as he had a rock solid alibi.

I'm fairly sure l've read that the blanket in the suitcase had DNA from Jon-Benet's half-brother, John Andrew. Some sources say it actually had his semen on it.
However, John Andrew did not commit this crime as he had a rock solid alibi.

Yes, the host acknowledges that the half-brother's DNA was on one of the blankets. She doesn't say where the blanket came from before it went into the suitcase or when, I've never seen that particular information anywhere but I don't think I'm right across all the information there is yet.

His fingerprints were all over the bowl

ok

Just occurred to me how many famous murders have happened in Colorado.

Chris Watts
Bundy (3 of his murders)
JonBenet
Columbine High School
Alfred Packer, the murderer and cannibal

maybe more im missing

This Dr posts some good content, focusing on the mental health and personality factors in this case

I'm so glad this thread has been reactivated!

I've followed this case since the very beginning and after researching every available resource l can find, l have formed my own ideas and theories.
It's taken many years though. The best part of sleuthing for me is to remain as impartial as possible until you absolutely HAVE TO reach a conclusion, according to your own hunches, values, powers of logic etc. Sleuthing is definitely no fun and no challenge if you're prone to jumping to conclusions and refuse to budge!

I'm really looking forward to thoughts of other posters as the earlier activity was before my time here.

So it seems DNA is the current focus; unknown males apparently. New analysis, new technology, new capabilities, yeah yeah.....

Here's a good example of the befuddles of DNA:-

The youngest member of my extended family visited this afternoon. I cuddled him for New Year wearing the same clothes l was in this morning, when l profusely hugged three male friends l hadn't seen for two years (all COVID negative btw) and my own male partner. The said young family member had already done the rounds today visiting other safe family members and their partners while we still can. He would by now have at least 7 DNA samples of non-familial males, all independent of each other, on his clothes, skin and hair. He will be tired right now and won't have his bath until morning. He'll just have his face, hands and feet washed, then into his pjs. Fast asleep in minutes with the day's cuddles and associated DNA still all over him. This is how little kids are at Christmas, New Year etc. *Not a single one of the DNA samples on him will be on record as none of us has ever done anything to warrant it being there.

I don't believe there will ever be a deathbed confession. I think that if this case is ever solved, it will be due to advances in handwriting analysis and technology. There's one fact that cannot be disputed or evidence messed with.
Whoever wrote the ransom note killed JonBenet.

I'm so glad this thread has been reactivated!

Me too, has to be my all time most frustrating case, although I doubt it will ever get solved. Have always been a RDI, then was all over BDI, now back to RDI. I don't even know where to start with bits of info/evidence as there is so much, but enjoy everyone's bits of insight.

Although I do like the dictionary downstairs being open/marked at incest.

Last edited:
Me too, has to be my all time most frustrating case, although I doubt it will ever get solved. Have always been a RDI, then was all over BDI, now back to RDI. I don't even know where to start with bits of info/evidence as there is so much, but enjoy everyone's bits of insight.

Although I do like the dictionary down being open/marked at incest.
Excuse me???!?!?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back