Jones head high bump

Remove this Banner Ad

1--2 weeks.

Smith wont go for that, parker was moving at snails pace.Fine at best.

Parker was going flat out, so yeah...pretty slow :) It's an ugly look, so definitely a fine, maybe a week.

I think Jones is lucky because Langford played on, but there's no way he doesn't get something for that, so I'm guessing one week.

Weather or not it's accidental is irrelevant. I don't even know what you're trying to debate. Its been this way for years. If you chose to bump and get them in the head, you're gone.

I understand that and he will get his whack. My point is it’s accidental and not a low dog act like some people say. I am fed up with accidental contact being deemed to be a dog act.

Chose to bump and hit someone in the head with decent force, its a textbook suspension.

You are NEVER allowed to bump someone in the head unless there's nothing you can do to stop it. Why is this still hard to understand. A kid is going to hospital now because Jones smashed him in the face

It wasn’t a junior sport game, he is a man not a kid.

How could Jones have won the ball there? Langford was at the contest, Jones was speeding towards it. Save the rhetoric, footy is a contact sport and players are well within their rights to tackle or bump - its what you're meant to do when you are second to the contest.

He was not meant to hit him in the head.

Pretty simple.

Thrown out with a slap on the wrist, anything more than that is an overreaction.

I'm sick to death of seeing players who are tyring to actually win the ball get penalised.
How do you win the ball with your arm tucked in? To get the ball don't your arms need to go towards it?

How do you win the ball with your arm tucked in? To get the ball don't your arms need to go towards it?

I can see a case for he was going for the ball and braced for contact.

I don't.agree with it but look at Cotchin last year or Parker on Impey this year, IMO both should have gotten a week but because their hands were vaguely near the ball they get off.

Jones is similar, his decision to bump is very late and he is clearly running straight at the ball.

That said I think he will get a fine or 1 week.

Bumping is part of the game so this chose to bump nonsense doesn't automatically mean it's worth more weeks, just that he has a higher duty of care.

2 weeks comfortably. Anyone who thinks it will be a fine or should’ve been thrown out clearly hasn’t been watching AFL for the last few years.

2 weeks comfortably. Anyone who thinks it will be a fine or should’ve been thrown out clearly hasn’t been watching AFL for the last few years.

The bump = wasn't as bad as Parker's hit - so say one week less than that. Did Parker get two or three? That one was Careless/Medium Impact/High so guessing it was two? Though now the Bomber's gone to hospital it must be High/Severe so guessing it will be three?

Probably best comparison to make is the Tex Walker bump this year other than the position of the ball. Probably going to be what that was given.

Oh and in before Hawks supporters start making this about how unfairly their players get treated and how being a Swan gets you a free pass

Heh. Just coz we're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get us!

The difference in media treatment of these incidents could not have been any clearer. Mitigating factors in both of Howe's incidents get ignored - indeed even removed from the (incessant) replays with commentators having him season over before the end of the game; whilst barely a mention from the commentators after the vision is shown of the Jones/Smith incidents.

Cripps contributed to making the punch high by bending at the knees and dropping his body (to run to the contest, not a duck), and also threw the first punch ('coward punch' to the back of Howe's head). Howe wasn't really looking at Cripps when he threw the punch, which would have been chest in Cripps standing position. No excuse, but Howe got an extra week mostly due to the commentators. Jones will only get one, maybe even just a fine given the lack of replays and commentator interest.

Fisher and Howe was accidental/incidental contact - Fisher had beaten Howe to the contest, who was off-balance and falling before Fisher made his move and ran into Howe's outstretched leg. The actual contact was minimal, however the outcome was horrendous. Bad luck to Fisher, horrible luck for Howe who should have only been a fine or one week, but turned into three. Smith's KICK was intentional and more forceful than Howe's so if they are assessing IMPACT (not outcome) then it should be worse - maybe a week.

The media (esp commentators) wield way too much power over the moronic public and the MRO is seemingly a way for the AFL to manipulate outcomes to 'smooth' public sentiment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless he has a concussion or some other injury can't see it being 2.

Look at Douglas on Merrett in round 1, that was way worse and only 1 week

Fine or 1 week.

People just wanna be out raged. He is allowed to bump, in fact the other guy didn't even have the ball so he can't tackle him.

Giving him 2 weeks would be inconsistent with every other similar incident this year.

Last week Howe got 2 weeks because of the potential to cause serious injury. Jones did the same thing.

Only difference is Cripps has a history of being a sook.

Clearly not intentional.

However - careless is probably a fair assessment. High contact and medium impact a 2 down to 1. Langford kept playing, but then went to hospital, so probably is hard to determine. There may be the whole "duty of care/potential to cause damage" clause but to be honest - I'd still classify the ball as in dispute technically even if Langford got his hands to the ball because I think there's a big difference between a player who genuinely has possession and a player who is still in the act of getting proper possession - so I think in a contact sport if your act is a football act we shouldn't take into consideration potential to cause damage (should be reserved for intentional incidents like a strike/kick/genuine shirtfront).

1 week seems reasonable for poor execution. Ball in dispute, Langford didn't help, but still the priority was to bump and high contact was made. Langford played on so it shouldn't be high impact to me but the medical awaits. If there is an injury or the AFL determine there was potential for further injury then 2 is not unrealistic (nor unreasonable).

Nothing for the strike on Merrett. To me there's a delay in Merrett reacting so you would have to think the impact is too low for a suspension? I guess the Hawkins rule may apply in which case 1 week.

If Langford went to hospital complaining of arm and shoulder pain, why should that affect Jones' penalty? Surely "arm and shoulder" is not "head", and that's just a normal impact injury. Langford wasn't concussed and played out the game. Grading should be medium or low impact, surely?

If Langford went to hospital complaining of arm and shoulder pain, why should that affect Jones' penalty? Surely "arm and shoulder" is not "head", and that's just a normal impact injury. Langford wasn't concussed and played out the game. Grading should be medium or low impact, surely?
played out the game? there was like 2 minutes left in the game....... How do you know he want concussed? Getting hit in the head can cause nerve damage in other parts of the body.

played out the game? there was like 2 minutes left in the game....... How do you know he want concussed? Getting hit in the head can cause nerve damage in other parts of the body.
Well there was about over 4 minutes left on the clock, and he didn't do a concussion test or leave the field. So, unless it was delayed concussion, he wasn't concussed.

Whether you agree with it or not, the outcome tends to have a bearing on the penalty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back