Jong as defensive fwd in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

He lacks height, has almost zero strength below his waiste, lacks aggression and is absolute no marking threat. Dangerous small fwds need some of not most of these to be successful.
Vandermeer lacks aggression? I disagree completely, I love his aggression.
Long term i don't think he's a small forward, more a high forward who can take wing rotations. He's at his best when he can run at or with the ball.

A couple of years ago I threw out the idea of Jong as a Half back flanker when wood was injured. I still think this could be his position. Like Boyd he is hard at it but given the time on defence his skills looked much better. He is also very fast and has great hands.

Without Wood we are forced to play Duryea - good player but too small (more a replaced kent for Crozier or Williams) or Cordy - not fast enough. Jong is 188 and with his leap plays above his height and he give his all.

I liked him as a mid but with Dunkley, MAcrae and Bont all big Mids and Lipinski come through really well, he is pushed to a wing or another rotation and just can’t see him finding a role.

Defensive forward is OK use of him - he would be up against West, Cavarro, Weightman (different approach but same spot) and now Anthony Scott.

Certainly the lead up mid forward/third tall role is up for grabs with Dale, Hannan and the youngsters JUGs and Fernando but he just seems lost as a forward.

BTW - haven’t compared him to VDM because I think he is an absolutely lock. Mongrel fast and forward smarts. Along with Wallis - these two small forwards are both close to certainties

A couple of years ago I threw out the idea of Jong as a Half back flanker when wood was injured. I still think this could be his position. Like Boyd he is hard at it but given the time on defence his skills looked much better. He is also very fast and has great hands.

Without Wood we are forced to play Duryea - good player but too small (more a replaced kent for Crozier or Williams) or Cordy - not fast enough. Jong is 188 and with his leap plays above his height and he give his all.

I liked him as a mid but with Dunkley, MAcrae and Bont all big Mids and Lipinski come through really well, he is pushed to a wing or another rotation and just can’t see him finding a role.

Defensive forward is OK use of him - he would be up against West, Cavarro, Weightman (different approach but same spot) and now Anthony Scott.

Certainly the lead up mid forward/third tall role is up for grabs with Dale, Hannan and the youngsters JUGs and Fernando but he just seems lost as a forward.

Gardiners got more chance of becoming AA full back than Jong becoming a rebounding defensive distributor. I rate Jong a little, but don’t want ball in his hand coming out of the backline.

Hi, seems like Jong is in decent form and has been active in the forward line in the practice sessions. What do we think of him lining up as a defensive forward this year?

- For me he has the speed, team-first work ethic and single-mindedness to play this position.

- Also I feel he's never been a play-maker, so giving him a role might work better.

- He's shown that he can take a mark and kick a goal.

- He is a strong and agressive tackler.

I know we're all hoping that someone like Weightman and Cavarra can have an impact, or that Bailey Dale will finally put a full season together, but for his uncompromising style I'm voting Jong into the fwd line for 2021.

What do you think?
Cordy playing that role helped us win a premiership. We havent had anyone perform in that role since. I really like the idea as i have always been a fan of Lin, dude has heart.

Hi, seems like Jong is in decent form and has been active in the forward line in the practice sessions. What do we think of him lining up as a defensive forward this year?

- For me he has the speed, team-first work ethic and single-mindedness to play this position.

- Also I feel he's never been a play-maker, so giving him a role might work better.

- He's shown that he can take a mark and kick a goal.

- He is a strong and agressive tackler.

I know we're all hoping that someone like Weightman and Cavarra can have an impact, or that Bailey Dale will finally put a full season together, but for his uncompromising style I'm voting Jong into the fwd line for 2021.

What do you think?

I think that is an excellent idea.

Jong is an iffy field kick, but generally reliable as a set shot, and his ability to pressure and tackle is significant.

Plus he’s a handful overhead.

Rippa idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back