Oppo Camp Jono Marsh has been signed by the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan Marsh, simple questions?

If we had an option of selecting him, would it be him or another player?

If he was on our list again, would he be a best 22 or more a capable depth player?

If he was on our list again, would he be a best 22 or more a capable depth player?
An interesting question, because at 193 cm, he doesn't really provide the tall option we were seeking in trading for Roughead. Given that he was still a required player when he left Collingwood, I am surprised that no team selected him. I can't see a spot for him in the current Collingwood team though he would be handy depth.

An interesting question, because at 193 cm, he doesn't really provide the tall option we were seeking in trading for Roughead. Given that he was still a required player when he left Collingwood, I am surprised that no team selected him. I can't see a spot for him in the current Collingwood team though he would be handy depth.
Probably a fair summation, overall handy depth.
He does have pace and spring (athleticism).

For what it’s worth we got Rougheadd for a pack of chips (small snack pack size).

Had mix feelings about Marsh, one of those players with a good highlight reel. Reckon Pies would be one of the clubs that needs to bolster their defence though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was under the impression that the Pies didn't think hsi personality was suited and wouldn't want him back.

Possibly best 22 fringe player when he left

But by now he would have been passed by 4-5 players, Appleby Murphy Aish Shaz (when fit) to name a few plus the advancement over the past few seasons of Langdon Maynard Crisp etc. And now hopefully Quaynor. Ive probably missed a few names, its the offseason.

Not big enough to play key position where we genuinely have some gaps.

I don't think we really need him now not down back. Not now we are developing players like Murphy and Kelly in similar positions. Start of last season would have been handy.

I always liked the idea of Marsh playing further up the ground. I don't know how his tank and foot skills have developed the past couple of years but if they have up the ground is an option.

Last edited:
Possibly best 22 fringe player when he left

But by now he would have been passed by 4-5 players, Appleby Murphy Aish Shaz (when fit) to name a few plus the advancement over the past few seasons of Langdon Maynard Crisp etc. And now hopefully Quaynor. Ive probably missed a few names, its the offseason.

Not big enough to play key position where we genuinely have some gaps.
Since when is 194cm and 90+ kilos not big enough for key position?

Also, there’s no way anyone could possibly know if any of the players you listed would actually have gone past him. He was improving himself at a rate of knots still before he left.

Since when is 194cm and 90+ kilos not big enough for key position?

Also, there’s no way anyone could possibly know if any of the players you listed would actually have gone past him. He was improving himself at a rate of knots still before he left.

Are you aware this is a board for people to express opinions?

I'd take him. Him leaving really hurt our defensive stocks at the time.

I'd say he'd be borderline because he's missed 2 seasons, but his pace was great and 2 of our other defenders - DUNN and GOLDY - are coming to the end.

I'd take him. Him leaving really hurt our defensive stocks at the time.

I'd say he'd be borderline because he's missed 2 seasons, but his pace was great and 2 of our other defenders - DUNN and GOLDY - are coming to the end.
Succession plannng can’t hurt.
Marsh might have played ahead of Goldsack if he stayed, might have.

As Dunn is nearer the end than not, if temp required I th I they have earmarked Roughead to do that.
Long term it would have to be Will Kelly.
The long term of Kelly Moore seems a good bet.

But if we get a free hit (Murray situation or a long term injury) then Marsh seems a good one.
Though the club would have a few players in mind besides Marsh you’d think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We never even heard the first of him!
Technically hearing and Sam was an interesting learning for all of us.

Good guy.

Realizing opportunity involves getting the timing right.

Marsh had the opportunity to hold a key position in our defence... at the time; it didn't eventuate so all we can talk about is the potential we saw.

I felt he could have been a better addition to our list than Roughie but only if he came cheap and if his head was in a better space; both are big "ifs".

Seems to me an article was researched about the key defenders and the March cut off date and mid season draft... and then the editor has said lets 'clickbait' it by inserting Collingwood into it. Still, good luck to Marsh or McLarty if they get another chance

I’d guess the article was ‘researched’ by receiving a call from Marsh’s manager.

Are you aware this is a board for people to express opinions?
Yes. I’m also aware that this board is for discussion. Are you?
If I disagree with the finite statement you made, I’m well within my rights to question it.

I felt he could have been a better addition to our list than Roughie but only if he came cheap and if his head was in a better space; both are big "ifs".

We got Roughead in part because he’s a ‘break glass in case of emergency” player should Grundy damage another toenail. Moving Cox into the middle would break our structure. Probably wouldn’t want to rely on Max Lynch yet.

Marsh couldn’t fill that role.

I would say that Marsh would have been competing for a spot against the likes of Moore, Murphy, Appleby and Madgen. Marsh would be yet another one of those types still learning his craft.

We got Roughead in part because he’s a ‘break glass in case of emergency” player should Grundy damage another toenail. Moving Cox into the middle would break our structure. Probably wouldn’t want to rely on Max Lynch yet.

Marsh couldn’t fill that role.

I would say that Marsh would have been competing for a spot against the likes of Moore, Murphy, Appleby and Madgen. Marsh would be yet another one of those types still learning his craft.

Good reasoning 76, Marsh and Roughhead are not like for like. I feel our list would look better with Marsh over Roughie but only based on my limited view of their respective potential as players. You correctly observe that Marsh could not be a plan B for Grund.

It's pretty rare in the AFL for a a player to get a second chance at their original club though a few examples do exist at Collingwood like Beams or Marty Clarke.

I assume if we didn't approach Marsh for our VFL side then we are unlikely to have him in our plans for this season.

I doubt Marsh is in the running to replace Murray (if replacing Murray ever happens) but good luck to him if he does. He’s an upgrade on Madgen and possibly a long term replacement for Goldsack and Dunn but not sure he’ll make the grade back.

There’s also the ongoing question of whether he’d have the commitment. Football isn’t just about what you can do on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back