Expansion Joondalup Falcons in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
The mascot can be anything really, I just said Falcon because it's unique to WA as there's no original VFL or SANFl team with a Falcon mascot (same argument for why I think South Adelaide Panthers would be the best SA3 team).

The important thing is that the club should be called "Perth" - so a tripple merger of Perth, West and East or just go with a brand new franchise.
Perth Falcons wearing East Perth Royal jumpers

Perfect 3-way merger

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
AFL expansion to 24 teams

19 - Tasmania Devils
20 - Canberra Griffins
21 - Perth Falcons
23 - South Adelaide Panthers
24 - New Zealand Warriors (shared brand with NRL team)
Same same, but only different…

19 - Tasmania United Islanders (green gold and red)
20 - Canberra Gryphons (orange and green)
21 - Perth Falcons (black and blue)
23 - South Sydney Rabbitohs (red and green) (shared brand with NRL team)
24 - New Zealand Warriors (black and silver and clash jumper the beige and black of NZ cricket team in the 70-80’s) (shared brand with NRL team)

Last edited:

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
19. Tasmania Devils
20. Canberra Griffins
21. Perth Falcons (like the 3 way merger idea)
22. South Adelaide Panthers
23. Northern Territory Crocodiles
24. North Queensland Pirates (can see them being their own state one day so this keeps all major jurisdictions represented)

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
St Helens R.F.C. | Adelaide T'Birds
Hmm, well Falcons is a bit close to Eagles so you’re probably on to something.

And if there’s a NQLD team, Sharks works well enough too.
Quokka would feel more distinctly Aussie/West Aussie - but then again Falcon is unique to WAFL as there isn't a Falcon team in the SANFL or the original VFL - thus it would be a unique WA mascot in that sense.

Same argument for why Panthers would be a good SA3 team over the usual proposal of Norwood Redlegs.

North Queensland Cowboys lol

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Quokka would feel more distinctly Aussie/West Aussie - but then again Falcon is unique to WAFL as there isn't a Falcon team in the SANFL or the original VFL - thus it would be a unique WA mascot in that sense.

Same argument for why Panthers would be a good SA3 team over the usual proposal of Norwood Redlegs.

North Queensland Cowboys lol

No such thing as cowboys in Australia.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
PERTH UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB (THE QUOKKAS)

Adelaide (3).png

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
They can but they'll need to upgrade or build a new stadium and $60m start up capital.

I'm all for Darwin getting a team, they have the highest rate of participation per capital for Aussie Rules, but they only have around 10k registered players. Compare that to WA with 100k+.

Only Canberra has less registered players.
True, however that is marginally offset by the fact there is a national draft. Registered players would grow if there is a hometown team to play for. Start with Tassie first though, and see how that pans out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
True, however that is marginally offset by the fact there is a national draft. Registered players would grow if there is a hometown team to play for. Start with Tassie first though, and see how that pans out.
I completely agree - having the team to begin with helps with the growth and retention of players.

Saab NLAW

All Australian
Aug 27, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
the Bears weren't poorly performing - the exact opposite - they did very well for a reserves team.
The VFL still hadn't learnt the lesson, the lesson being, any expansion team has to be set up well from the start.
The AFL attempted to do that with GWS but the clubs simply wouldn't trade players for draft picks.

GWS was obsessed with draft picks, or to be more accurate, Sheedy was.

It's pretty clear now that Sheedy rooted that club right from the beginning

Who cares though, they were only brought in to increase media dollars in NSW

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
GWS was obsessed with draft picks, or to be more accurate, Sheedy was.

The AFL gave GWS draft picks so that they could be traded for established players.
To my knowledge it was the other clubs that didn't want to trade their top players.
I've never heard of Sheedy favouring holding onto draft picks.
Maybe you could supply a link to back up your assertion.

Saab NLAW

All Australian
Aug 27, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
The AFL gave GWS draft picks so that they could be traded for established players.
To my knowledge it was the other clubs that didn't want to trade their top players.
I've never heard of Sheedy favouring holding onto draft picks.
Maybe you could supply a link to back up your assertion.

Sheedy was obsessed with getting draft picks, go back to any article back then around draft time. Watch the clips of him standing on the stage with the top 3 picks. Sheedy has always been about self-promotion. Doesn't take a mental giant to work it out

Or don't, my care factor is quite low.

GWS had the option of signing players and the clubs couldn't do anything about it. So instead of going out and spending huge money on established players and building a team, Sheedy targeted Scully, gave him $1m a year, purely to stick it to Melbourne for rejecting him as a coach.

It doesn't really matter what you believe because the proof is in the pudding. Terrible list with a terrible culture that was developed by Sheedy. Giving huge contracts to mediocre players, what a friggen mess GWS is.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sheedy was obsessed with getting draft picks,

Well anybody would be obsessed with getting the best draft picks possible - you'd hope evryone had this attitude.

go back to any article back then around draft time.

Well, just post one.

Watch the clips of him standing on the stage with the top 3 picks.

HTF is that a negative?

Sheedy has always been about self-promotion.

Sheedy was to a degree a figurehead and it was planned and hoped that he would contribute to the promotion of GWS.

my care factor is quite low.

Yes it doesn't take a mental giant to work out that you're yet another VFL GWS basher.

GWS had the option of signing players and the clubs couldn't do anything about it.

You say "couldn't", i remeber quite clearly that they "wouldn't".
Simply post a link to support your claims.

So instead of going out and spending huge money on established players and building a team,

Well the problem was that the clubs put such a high price on their personal that it was impossible to trade.

Sheedy targeted Scully, gave him $1m a year

So where is the negative ?

Terrible list with a terrible culture

Because the AFL clubs wouldn't trade - simple.

that was developed by Sheedy.

Here's an article that tells the whole story

You will notice that there were a lot of people involved and Sheedy was mainly a figurehead.

EDIT: people who LOL because they cannot supply links are pathetic.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
WA and SA should have four teams - roughly 500k population alloocated to each team. That gives each team nearly the same coverage as the teams here in Victoria (roughly 600k per team).

- WA -
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
East Fremantle Sharks
Joondalup Falcons

- SA -
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Pear
South Adelaide Panthers
North Adelaide Roosters

These clubs have a degree of success, financials and unique mascots, which would make a solid entry into the AFL. Yes there'll be a bit of a skill gap in the initial decade of their time in the game, but considering these are grassroots aussie rules states the skill should pick up quicker than other expansion areas.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
WA and SA should have four teams - roughly 500k population alloocated to each team. That gives each team nearly the same coverage as the teams here in Victoria (roughly 600k per team).

- WA -
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
East Fremantle Sharks
Joondalup Falcons

- SA -
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Pear
South Adelaide Panthers
North Adelaide Roosters

These clubs have a degree of success, financials and unique mascots, which would make a solid entry into the AFL. Yes there'll be a bit of a skill gap in the initial decade of their time in the game, but considering these are grassroots aussie rules states the skill should pick up quicker than other expansion areas.
Agree

But rather
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
Subiaco Maroons or Cougars or Pumas
Perth Falcons (Blue and Black)

Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Norwood Redlegs
Sturt Double Blues - just because they are my SANFL team ;)

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

- WA -
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
East Fremantle Sharks
Joondalup Falcons

- SA -
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Pear
South Adelaide Panthers
North Adelaide Roosters

Respectfully disagree.

Victoria is oversaturated, I don't think it's something we ought to emulating.

Adelaide almost has 1.4m people. That means 350k people per team.

The majority of people would stick with Port or the Crows. Say 30% of people jump off them (which I think is generous), that leaves a little over 400k for both new teams to share.

Crows are a strong club. Port is a middle-rung club that has had its off-field struggles. A third Adelaide club might work, but I think it'd really struggle. A fourth Adelaide team would have no chance.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Agree

But rather
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
Subiaco Maroons or Cougars or Pumas
Perth Falcons (Blue and Black)

Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Norwood Redlegs
Sturt Double Blues - just because they are my SANFL team ;)
Hehe I was a bit biased towards South since they're the team I grew up with :joycat:

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Respectfully disagree.

Victoria is oversaturated, I don't think it's something we ought to emulating.

Adelaide almost has 1.4m people. That means 350k people per team.

The majority of people would stick with Port or the Crows. Say 30% of people jump off them (which I think is generous), that leaves a little over 400k for both new teams to share.

Crows are a strong club. Port is a middle-rung club that has had its off-field struggles. A third Adelaide club might work, but I think it'd really struggle. A fourth Adelaide team would have no chance.

If you include the entire population of SA 1.8 million you'll have 600k per club, which is around the same as the clubs here.

Besides my obvious bias towards South Adelaide as they're my team, a logical reason for this would be that South Adelaide is somewhat geographically split from Adelaide (kinda reminds me of Geelong in a way) and is represented by just three local government areas - Onkaparinga being the biggest with a population that's creeping on 200k+. If you include the inner southern suburbs (SAFC's old homeland) then this number looks more like 400k

So you have that and include all of the southern Fleurie peninsular, Mt Gambier, Kangaroo Islands and divide some of the NGAs up, you'll cover around the same population as a Vic club by 2030ish.

SAFC already owns the Netball, Volleyball clubs under the same business, and the NPL and NBL1 clubs share the same name and Panther brand. We definitely have some greater expansion ambitions.

By mid 2030's, we'd have the population and with a bit of investor help, the money to be the best candidate as the 3rd SA team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back