Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Tayl0r

AFL Club
Fremantle
Moderator #3,901
Could well be a major factor, which then brings up some interesting questions about men vs women in personality and career aspirations given the women are still enrolling in the humanities well. Flows on to the gender earning gap debate etc.
We have a culture where students expect to get a university degree, so there needs to be a market created for people to get that without the hardcore science or maths involved. That's where I think it's coming from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chief

110% sass!
AFL Club
Carlton
Admin #3,902
This is true but it need not necessarily be true.
I’m a idealistic about education and believe with dedicated effort and honest self reflection even a mediocre mind can be elevated to something approaching genius.

I also believe the accessibility of the internet and you tube to classic books, commentaries and lectures enable anyone with a modicum of sustained effort applied correctly and intently for a single year - to make themselves both very employable and both verbally and in writing acheive standards that will run rings around all but the most extraordinary BA graduate.

And this at least is a positive
This is what I'd call Dunning-Kruger territory.

Contra Mundum

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
People are also exaggerating what you have to write in humanities. I did a gender subject and wrote an essay on why I think multiculturalism is doomed to fail and got an A on it. Just because you feel like you need to write something doesn’t mean you do.

Fortune favours the brave.
Oh my God Hercules - don't fight the prevailing bullshit narrative with actual experience - we are all ruggedly individualist thinkers, brave heroes - fighting intellectual conformity by following strict ideological rules on the "left wing academy", armed with critiques we parrot from others

Contra Mundum

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
I take it back, if you were to read Anthony Kenny's History of Western Philosophy by yourself you might know something about the subject. All learning is enhanced with dialogue, if you are not discussing it with other students or teachers - its harder to learn. You can't sit down with Being and Time and expect to get something out of it because of what you have seen on a Youtube video.

Contra Mundum

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
We have a culture where students expect to get a university degree, so there needs to be a market created for people to get that without the hardcore science or maths involved. That's where I think it's coming from.
Where does that leave classical music students - they don't deserve a degree that has been offered in the West for 500 years

Chief

110% sass!
AFL Club
Carlton
Admin #3,910
The penny drops and they enrol in a degree they actually have some interest in.
I'm talking more about the student planning to improve their entrance score (whatever it is that month) by starting in a lower-demand degree and getting a good GPA to get them into the higher-demand degree. As a plan from day one, not as a course correction after an epiphany.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FireKraquora

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
I All learning is enhanced with dialogue
I totally agree. The concern is that only a narrow part of the spectrum of ideas is being discussed within the humanities. So this "dialogue" is quite limited.

In the US we see students literally set fire to their schools in order to avoid having a speaker with a differing opinion give a speech.

Education is not about safe spaces, it should be quite the opposite. Confronting uncomfortable ideas, not sustaining echo chambers.

Number37

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm talking more about the student planning to improve their entrance score (whatever it is that month) by starting in a lower-demand degree and getting a good GPA to get them into the higher-demand degree. As a plan from day one, not as a course correction after an epiphany.
Oh ok.

That is not that common.
It is more common that kids transfer to supposedly more reputable universities (read sandstone), in the same degree. T
That's not to say it's not a thing but most of the high demand degrees offer pathways like 'we'll give you a bonus 5 points on your ATAR if you score band 5's in 2 science subjects'.

yebiga

Anglo Guilt - suck it up
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I take it back, if you were to read Anthony Kenny's History of Western Philosophy by yourself you might know something about the subject. All learning is enhanced with dialogue, if you are not discussing it with other students or teachers - its harder to learn. You can't sit down with Being and Time and expect to get something out of it because of what you have seen on a Youtube video.
Inteeesting - there is s whole lecture series - and pod casts on heideggers being and time

There are commentary books and philosophy social media sites

And then you can always talk to people too

Grab one chapter of being and time - copy it - rephrase it - read commentary and watch lectures to ensure you are not completely off tap

Rewrite it in your own words made clearer

And I suggest you will know as much as your acumen allows and who knows what that might be

Contra Mundum

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
I totally agree. The concern is that only a narrow part of the spectrum of ideas is being discussed within the humanities. So this "dialogue" is quite limited.

In the US we see students literally set fire to their schools in order to avoid having a speaker with a differing opinion give a speech.

Education is not about safe spaces, it should be quite the opposite. Confronting uncomfortable ideas, not sustaining echo chambers.
Sorry that is generalising bullshit you can still do a course called “Europe since Napoleon” , the world of Dante or 20th century English literature - they are taught as they always have been - women’s studies is not compulsory you know

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Contra Mundum

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Inteeesting - there is s whole lecture series - and pod casts on heideggers being and time

There are commentary books and philosophy social media sites

And then you can always talk to people too

Grab one chapter of being and time - copy it - rephrase it - read commentary and watch lectures to ensure you are not completely off tap

Rewrite it in your own words made clearer

And I suggest you will know as much as your acumen allows and who knows what that might be
It’s a barren way to learn

Gough

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moderator #3,918
Sorry that is generalising bullshit you can still do a course called “Europe since Napoleon” , the world of Dante or 20th century English literature - they are taught as they always have been - women’s studies is not compulsory you know

Better off teaching Chicago school to a bunch over privileged kids with borderline personality disorders.

its free real estate

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why can't you discuss it on a web forum and get the same out of it?

FireKraquora

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Better off teaching Chicago school to a bunch over privileged kids with borderline personality disorders.
Interesting that you take a snipe at "privileged kids with BPD". That descriptor fairly well sums up the younger generation who follow your own philosophy.
It’s not the same as a tute

No, it's different to a tutorial in that you risk being triggered by opposing opinions.

its free real estate

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s not the same as a tute

Isn’t it? Imo it’s better. More thorough criticism of your ideas, backed by references. Academia is cloistered by comparison.

The key difference is that in academia your are graded, therefore there is a skin in the game aspect. But anyone dedicated and intelligent enough should be able to learn

TheWoodenSlug

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
That's exactly what I planned to do, but ended up dropping out altogether after a year

Top Bottom