Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Chief

110% sass!
AFL Club
Carlton
Admin #3,951
Oh ok.

That is not that common.
It is more common that kids transfer to supposedly more reputable universities (read sandstone), in the same degree. T
That's not to say it's not a thing but most of the high demand degrees offer pathways like 'we'll give you a bonus 5 points on your ATAR if you score band 5's in 2 science subjects'.
My degree is about 25 years old - I don’t know what the kids are up to these days.

Nor can I normalise a database any more :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ShanDog

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Moderator #3,952
How do these people get academic careers?
Because in this case, when she wasn't colouring the discussion with her own political perspectives, she actually knew what she was talking about. Which, in that classes context, was the processes involved in researching and writing for different types of analysis.

I think her conduct was unprofessional at times, but ultimately there's some good in having the fringe dwellers around. They are a great yardstick for your own sanity.

Snake_Baker

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pfffft, as if!
Because in this case, when she wasn't colouring the discussion with her own political perspectives, she actually knew what she was talking about. Which, in that classes context, was the processes involved in researching and writing for different types of analysis.

I think her conduct was unprofessional at times, but ultimately there's some good in having the fringe dwellers around. They are a great yardstick for your own sanity.

So basically.......she read some books?

Contra Mundum

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
I had one fringe-dwelling lecturer that stood out in my Bachelor - she was the sterotypical fat middle-aged woman with alternative clothing interesting in the sadistic and morbid (constantly told us how her research was all about suicide) and would talk endlessly about herself if someone were willing to listen. Was overt about her dislike of any conservative. Big fan of feelings.

I wrote my research project on the media narrative of men as victims of domestic assault just to piss her off. To her credit, she marked it genuinely and I can't say I think the topic lowered my grade.

Just as I was starting to like her, I saw something in an email she wrote that was along the lines of apologising for abrupt language but it's not her fault because her father was a senior member of the ADF while she was growing up and it's what she is used to. All I could think was, "Dickhead - I am a senior NCO right now and I'm the nicest bloke ever. Don't blame your shit campaigner dad on the military and don't blame your social hand-grenade status on your dad".

Was probably fair though.

Cool story.
I know what you are talking about - but myopic narcissism in academics isn’t limited to SJWs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ShanDog

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Moderator #3,954
I know what you are talking about - but myopic narcissism in academics isn’t limited to SJWs

Absolutely. I just find them harder to put up with. As a mostly liberal and progressive person, I probably come down on them harder for making everyone else look stupid. Like when I say we should move Australia Day, the people against it would assume I am one of "those". No. I am just sensible and have thought it through. I blame "those" for hijacking progressive ideals.

Contra Mundum

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Absolutely. I just find them harder to put up with. As a mostly liberal and progressive person, I probably come down on them harder for making everyone else look stupid. Like when I say we should move Australia Day, the people against it would assume I am one of "those". No. I am just sensible and have thought it through. I blame "those" for hijacking progressive ideals.
I totally get what you are saying. I live in North Melbourne which has a lot of SJW types - the smugness alone is suffocating. Can’t imagine what it would be like to be taught by someone like that

Whenever I have taught I was always glad someone cared enough to disagree with me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its free real estate

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Your rhetorical style is very sexy like Jordan himself.

Tell me is a standard a Map of the World an a accurate representation of the thing it represents - if it does not then why not - could it be the social and the geographical inform one another - or is that too post modern for you

Mercator is simply a projection that maps a globe onto a plane using a cylindrical representation. Any projection from a globe to 2D comes with a loss of information.

CM86

Anindilyakwa
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sick burn - I don’t study social geography. You are very angry today

It’s funny you never say which Uni and what course you studied?

You’d probably lie but your exposure to actual humanities courses (rather Some internet fuelled American fever dream version) seems somewhat limited

You should post a bunch of links to academic papers(with the full blurb), that you don't understand... That will up your cred.

FireKraquora

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s the product of spending a year watching YouTube videos.
I'm currently seeing this chick (believe it or not) and she's a kiwi studying science online from a uni in NZ. It's only early in the course, but so far every lecture has sent her off to view a youtube vid. As in a normal, publicly available YT vid.

If you had the discipline, and people to discuss content with, you could obtain a fair bit of human knowledge on the internet.

yebiga

Anglo Guilt - suck it up
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am a mentor/student sort of learner. If you have to duck and parry with your lecturer then it’s much more rewarding.

I work part time at Melbourne Uni in an LLM program - the entire student body has different politics to me

I wouldn't argue with that, if you are fortunate enough to find yourself with a great lecturer and tutor, in a subject you love, and you can really engage in open and challenging way with them - it is truly a gift you must treasure - and I am jealous. It is precisely that kind of relationship which can elevate your interest and understanding in the subject and potentially twist your entire life destiny around it.

But this is not always the case and I believe - anecdotally - it occurs far less in the humanities fields than anywhere else. Now whilst, Law is, of course, a humanities subject it is also a profession and is thus, unlike most Humanities subjects, forever confronted with and adapting to reality - within the court room, with legislative changes and interpretations which impact real people and their real life issues.

The English Literature department, on the other hand, is not burdened by reality and has often freely immersed itself - its professors and students - in a series of phantasmagorical and inscrutable interpretations without fear of being challenged. The philosophy department is not entirely immune to this and of course the cultural studies programs have long ago tossed the anchor of logic and reason overboard to ride the tide of sanctimony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom