Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

My gripe was with public intellectuals using it as a platform to diss each other. So all of them.
Yes, and you said it was about reading comics without politics.

Which comics have you read recently that contain no politics?

My comment on Coates and Peterson is specifically on them letting their personal differences bleed into entertainment. It's not a comment on politics as a whole.
So it's just a personal argument, not politics in comics?

Rubbish.

Peterson makes deeply political statements, wrong or right. The comic was a comment on Peterson's politics.

Rubbish.

Peterson makes deeply political statements, wrong or right. The comic was a comment on Peterson's politics.

I imagine it's somewhat personal, but it's mainly a political disagreement between the two. As I said earlier, we have enough of that on Twitter.

it's mainly a political disagreement between the two. As I said earlier, we have enough of that on Twitter.
And as I said earlier, tell us about all the apolitical comics you've read recently.

I'll save you some time:

Why, so I can watch you reach?

Ok, we'll start with Justice League:the Snyder Cut. Have at it, boss.
Jesus Christ.

Zack Snyder an apolitical film maker.

No.

Tell us about all of the apolitical comics you've READ recently.

Tell us about all of the apolitical comics you've READ recently.

The predictable reversion to technicalities and other games is precisely why I didn't want to bother with this.
You should be able to at least find politics in comic book movies, since they are sourced from comic books, and the problem supposedly is politics in entertainment.

The predictable reversion to technicalities and other games is precisely why I didn't want to bother with this.
You should be able to at least find politics in comic book movies, since they are sourced from comic books, and the problem supposedly is politics in entertainment.
OK you don’t know of any. You likely don’t read comics while I have shelf after shelf full of them.

The issue here is not that you don’t want to read politics in comics. Or see politics in your entertainment, to use your moved goal posts.

You will sit through all sorts of political entertainment. You just don’t like this example.

OK you don’t know of any. You likely don’t read comics while I have shelf after shelf full of them.

The issue here is not that you don’t want to read politics in comics. Or see politics in your entertainment, to use your moved goal posts.
The goal posts are always on entertainment. There's no reason to dislike politics in comics but not in movies or vice versa.

I read comics but I saw Justice League most recently, and that's about as much effort as I'm willing to put into facilitating your strawman hunt.

Once you're done we'll move on to the Joss Whedon version.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The goal posts are always on entertainment. There's no reason to dislike politics in comics but not in movies or vice versa.

I read comics but I saw Justice League most recently, and that's about as much effort as I'm willing to put into facilitating your strawman hunt.

Once you're done we'll move on to the Joss Whedon version.
SImple point is:

You will consume entertainment until you don't like the politics, then you will call out the very fact it exists, instead of engaging with the material and expressing counter arguments.

Basically you are well up for cancel culture.

SImple point is:

You will consume entertainment until you don't like the politics, then you will call out the very fact it exists, instead of engaging with the material and expressing counter arguments.

Ghostbusters 2016 sucked dick.

SImple point is:

Well that's all easy to respond to, I don't have any strong opinions on Jordan Peterson. So it's not about going in to bat for him or his ideas.

Engaging with the 'ideas' would be counter productive since I don't want these feuds to proliferate. Of course I'm not going to engage. The whole point is that it's harmful to do so.

Lol @ cancel culture.

Engaging with the 'ideas' would be counter productive since I don't want these feuds to proliferate.
You can label it "a feud" but you are fine with politics in entertainment until it doesn't match your own. At the very least it seems to make you uncomfortable. Be honest with yourself instead of pretending to hold absolutely no opinion.

It reminds me of the "gamergate" and whinging about LGBTQ characters. "Don't make it political!"

... "But politics that don't make me uncomfortable are totally fine."

Engage with it:

You can label it "a feud" but you are fine with politics in entertainment until it doesn't match your own. At the very least it seems to make you uncomfortable. Be honest with yourself instead of pretending to hold absolutely no opinion.

It reminds me of the "gamergate" and whinging about LGBTQ characters. "Don't make it political!"

... "But politics that don't make me uncomfortable are totally fine."

Engage with it:

Does not paying for s**t media count as cancel culture in your stunted worldview?

It did, he helped many people get out of a rut, including myself. I'm sorry that you dislike him because... I forget why. Because he's anti Marxism?

His Maps of Meaning series was simply epic.
Because psychologists should be immune from physical addiction, apparently.

They are imbued with a bullshit esoteric requirement that makes them not allowed to have immutable weaknesses. Unless they're a neo-marxist, of course.

You can label it "a feud" but you are fine with politics in entertainment until it doesn't match your own.

That has been an inconsistency for some media commentators, for example Lara 'just dribble' Ingraham, but more and more it's become a valid position to take as we learn about the toxicity of social media and how politics is used to generate endless fights, clicks and advertising revenue, and how constant politics impacts on mental health.

On a personal level I block news sites on social media to filter all that out. Whatever the politics of that news site is.

Rubbish.

If all you've got is a hammer you are always looking for a nail.
Because you can make anything political doesn't mean it is relevant, intended or important to a story or comic.
Every story works on multiple levels and politics is merely one of them. And even then, the politics in the story may be idealised utopian dystopian and therefore virtually irrelevant to the contemporary scene. In fact, the very best stories transcend contemporary politics and reveal timeless wisdom - perhaps that is too strong - but you get the point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back