Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pop psychologist: we should stop blaming others, and take personal responsibility for our own wellbeing. Maybe start improving your life with something small and basic, like cleaning your room.

Leftists:

tenor-8.gif

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
This article has been getting a bit of a run on Twitter, although it is from last year. It might have already been posted here?

Anyway, this is for contra:

“... the real problems in Peterson are far more dangerous than his prolixity, superficiality, or banality. The real danger in this book is its apologia for social Darwinism and bourgeois individualism covered over with a theological patina.“

Sounds like a complete w***er.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Sounds like a complete w***er.
He is a complete genius. But yes you have to read him deeply to get everything, not being a big worded individual and not a high brow intellectual .
I am reading, and re reading and I still think the bloke knows exactly what he's talking about. Its his readers that have to work a little harder.
Quick sweep over reading, and no going back to get a better idea of what he says no good!

Well you have to read some of it again it is the only way.
I haven't finished yet, but if it sounds no good to you , don't bother. Believe me , he will not be bothered for a second.

gippytiger

Senior List
Sep 8, 2017
Gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
I absolutely love Jordo. Watched 50-60+ hours of his videos, read 12 Rules for Life, and attended his first Melbourne show earlier this year. He has led me to make some massive changes in my life, the fruits of which probably won’t be realised for a few years, as well as change the way I think about personal responsibility, meaning and purpose. (I’ve got a long way to go mind you.) The man is held up by the more progressive types to be a lot of things he is not, and i suspect it’s because what he says scares them on some level, which is sad but it is what it is. I’ve also just watched the last lecture of his 2017 Maps of Meaning classes a third time, as I think it distills most of his life work into a succinct message, though one that has taken much time and listening to really understand. His series on the psychological significance of the bible is worth watching too, this coming from a (now not so sure) atheist.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I absolutely love Jordo. Watched 50-60+ hours of his videos, read 12 Rules for Life, and attended his first Melbourne show earlier this year. He has led me to make some massive changes in my life, the fruits of which probably won’t be realised for a few years, as well as change the way I think about personal responsibility, meaning and purpose. (I’ve got a long way to go mind you.) The man is held up by the more progressive types to be a lot of things he is not, and i suspect it’s because what he says scares them on some level, which is sad but it is what it is. I’ve also just watched the last lecture of his 2017 Maps of Meaning classes a third time, as I think it distills most of his life work into a succinct message, though one that has taken much time and listening to really understand. His series on the psychological significance of the bible is worth watching too, this coming from a (now not so sure) atheist.

I suspect a lot of people who dont like him have not listened to him or read what he says. They have read about him on one of their trendy left websites where anyone threatening the safe bubble is the enemy.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Reading his book 12 rules for life, it's good, it's a lot of things you know, that is ingrained deep within your psyche, he is just able to articulate it well.

Don't know why people get there knickers in a twist over it tbh, it's mostly about taking responsibity for yourself and to not blame others?

It's a self help book ffs

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Reading his book 12 rules for life, it's good, it's a lot of things you know, that is ingrained deep within your psyche, he is just able to articulate it well.

Don't know why people get there knickers in a twist over it tbh, it's mostly about taking responsibity for yourself and to not blame others?

It's a self help book ffs
Do you think people are upset that others are looking after themselves?

There are a lot of self help books out there. So do you think it's the self help part, or something else?

Feb 16, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Do you think people are upset that others are looking after themselves?

There are a lot of self help books out there. So do you think it's the self help part, or something else?
I think a lot people like to rest there laurels on the situations they have been brought up in, this nonsense about being able to break out of that and stand on your own two feet is too difficult a task to grasp for many people.

Those people are lazy.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think a lot people like to rest there laurels on the situations they been brought up in, this nonsense about being able to break out of that and stand on your own two feet is too difficult a task to grasp for many people.

Those people are lazy.
I think lazy people are lazy. And everyone at some point in their life has been lazy.

But there are also significant barriers for some people, that other people don't have to face.

If two people worked exactly as hard as each other, would they end up in identical situations? Of course not.

Does hard work often lead to more opportunities and better outcomes? Of course it does.

Does that mean that someone cleaning toilets hasn't ever worked as hard as a CEO of some pharmaceutical company?

Life isn't a computer game with a set XP level up bar. It's different for everyone.
Some homeless guy on the street might be the hardest worker you've ever met.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
What do you think it is?
I think there was backlash from him 'fighting back' against PC.

It created a divide between 'sides' who no longer cared what he said, as they just viewed him as a mascot to rally behind or rally against.

I've not looked into his uni stuff. I've read some of him, listened to some others. He doesn't inspire me, and I don't really have any problems with him at all.

Feb 16, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think lazy people are lazy. And everyone at some point in their life has been lazy.

But there are also significant barriers for some people, that other people don't have to face.

If two people worked exactly as hard as each other, would they end up in identical situations? Of course not.

Does hard work often lead to more opportunities and better outcomes? Of course it does.

Does that mean that someone cleaning toilets hasn't ever worked as hard as a CEO of some pharmaceutical company?

Life isn't a computer game with a set XP level up bar. It's different for everyone.
Some homeless guy on the street might be the hardest worker you've ever met.
That's life though isn't it? It's a ******* challenge, some people meet it face on and others cower away and whimper, his whole schtick from the few chapters i have read is about accepting and meeting that challenge head on, how is that a bad thing?

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I think there was backlash from him 'fighting back' against PC.

It created a divide between 'sides' who no longer cared what he said, as they just viewed him as a mascot to rally behind or rally against.

I've not looked into his uni stuff. I've read some of him, listened to some others. He doesn't inspire me, and I don't really have any problems with him at all.
Probably accurate there, I think. It became all about the personality and politics rather than the ideas.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
His point is about the challenge of life and embracing it, meeting it at it's face

That's life though isn't it? It's a ******* challenge, some people meet it face on and others cower away and whimper, his whole schtick from the few chapters i have read is about accepting and meeting that challenge head on, how is that a bad thing?
I'm not saying it is. I'm not sure who you think is against saying you should face challenges head on.

That's why I'm saying that there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the other self help books out there. So do you think it could be something else?

Or do you think it's because 'lefties' are lazy?

Feb 16, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'm not saying it is. I'm not sure who you think is against saying you should face challenges head on.

That's why I'm saying that there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the other self help books out there. So do you think it could be something else?

Or do you think it's because 'lefties' are lazy?
There is obviously something there that he is saying that i haven't come across yet, as i said i haven't completed the book yet.. the only problems i can see so far is maybe people who think religion is on the nose, which to be fair i'm not religious myself but he attacks that at a different angle which i am finding interesting anyway.

I'll report back if i find something so totally outlandish but i don't think i will

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is obviously something there that he is saying that i haven't come across yet, as i said i haven't completed the book yet.. the only problems i can see so far is maybe people who think religion is on the nose, which to be fair i'm not religious myself but he attacks that at a different angle which i am finding interesting anyway.

I'll report back if i find something so totally outlandish but i don't think i will
Why do you think it's the book that has caused people issues?

freshazimiz

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
Wakanda
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Bucks
I don't think his book offends anyone, it's more of his politic views and the people that follow him is what people have issues with.

Haven't come across many backlash with his psychology studies and his book. His book seems like a lot of common sense stuff that's well eloquently put.

Comes across as a non controversial guy that seems to capitalise on being misunderstood.

Back