Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
It's cathartic to make fun of Jordan Peterson, but when you also mock his followers, it plays right into his argument that the left is trying to silence all dissent by portraying anyone who disagrees with them as uneducated bozos. If you want Peterson's influence to wane, you have to argue in good faith. News reporters should take lessons on how to interview him. Anything else is just proving him right. Life is tragic...

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
It's cathartic to make fun of Jordan Peterson, but when you also mock his followers, it plays right into his argument that the left is trying to silence all dissent by portraying anyone who disagrees with them as uneducated bozos. If you want Peterson's influence to wane, you have to argue in good faith. News reporters should take lessons on how to interview him. Anything else is just proving him right. Life is tragic...

Listen, it’s possible to criticise someone without trying to cancel them.

For * sake.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I will defend many of his fans as people who do think, and have their own problems and ideas. I just don't think his philosophy holds water.

I liked a fair bit of what he said several years ago - some of it was only common sense but perhaps necessary for the times, a lot more of it was a bit out there but inspired thought, and there was plenty of rubbish to go with it too.

It started going downhill with his stupid meat only diet or whatever that was. Now it just seems he is ill and needs help.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
So I'll bet you love him then?
1641876794679.jpeg

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

I have to agree with this, and it's not constrained to the 'left' either.

Anyone worth their salt will point out the faults not just of the subject in this case Peterson and group the followers as a whole problem.

Willing to bet that there's not many followers who agree with everything Peterson says in absolution, that would be absurd.

All it does is just show the oppositions argument in bad faith.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
I have to agree with this, and it's not constrained to the 'left' either.

Anyone worth their salt will point out the faults not just of the subject in this case Peterson and group the followers as a whole problem.

Willing to bet that there's not many followers who agree with everything Peterson says in absolution, that would be absurd.

All it does is just show the oppositions argument in bad faith.
I actually agree with Bill Maher on this and he said it just this week talking about Trump followers in the USA... "I constantly say it, you can hate Trump. You can’t hate all the people who like him — it’s half the country. And you can’t set yourself up as some sort of superior moral paragon, because this is your political belief, and somebody else has another one,"- Bill Maher. Peterson cops the same whack from people who just cannot accept a different viewpoint. The Left view of self superiority is appalling, the insults are beyond belief. We'll see it here in OZ in droves the next 2 weeks!

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I actually agree with Bill Maher on this and he said it just this week talking about Trump followers in the USA... "I constantly say it, you can hate Trump. You can’t hate all the people who like him — it’s half the country. And you can’t set yourself up as some sort of superior moral paragon, because this is your political belief, and somebody else has another one,"- Bill Maher. Peterson cops the same whack from people who just cannot accept a different viewpoint. The Left view of self superiority is appalling, the insults are beyond belief. We'll see it here in OZ in droves the next 2 weeks!
1. Insults? What insults? He's not above critique or mockery.

2. Self-superiority? He loves hierarchies. Doesn't see much issue as they are currently constructed. Belives activism is for those he deems 'accomplished'.

He is literally pushing a superiority justification.

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It's weird how much this bloke gets under the skin of so many. He doesn't say that much different to what my bit-of-a-dickhead Dad tried to tell me - minus the religious stuff.

What's he done lately that's got everyone up in arms?
He's made the mistake of being supported by people who are also fans of Trump, that's pretty much it really. I loathe Trump but that doesn't mean I'll automatically discredit anybody else his supporters also happen to like, I judge him/her on their merits.

Peterson's advice for the most part, IMO, is stuff I would've thought was kinda obvious for most part and anyone with a modicum of common sense would eventually figure out for themselves, nothing ground breaking or anything. It doesn't help though that Peterson has also dared questioned the validity of trans movement and their growing demands on the majority of society and that's also triggered LWNJ into hating him even further.

He's made the mistake of being supported by people who are also fans of Trump, that's pretty much it really.
No.

His own words and actions show us who he is. His philosophy is empty. Now he's on a kick against public health measures.

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No.

His own words and actions show us who he is. His philosophy is empty. Now he's on a kick against public health measures.

To be fair he's not the only one that provides philosophy that could be deemed 'empty'. There are many self help books aimed at women, usually by female authors, that fall in that category but I don't see that type of negative attention from leftists in regards to their work.

Why do you think that is?

You seem to know why. My best guess is that Peterson doesn't blame men for all the world's problems and that's another big no no that triggers LWNJs because it is indisputable in their view that the 'patriarchy' is responsible for all the world's ills.

There are many self help books aimed at women, usually by female authors, that fall in that category but I don't see that type of negative attention from leftists in regards to their work.
I don't read them so I don't know what they are. That Mars and Venus one? Pretty sure lots of people canned that one at the time.

Back