Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't read them so I don't know what they are. That Mars and Venus one? Pretty sure lots of people canned that one at the time.

Neither do I but it's difficult to avoid not hearing about fluff like Eat, Pray, Love that your average female eats up (no pun intended) in droves.

Interestingly it just doesn't generate the same obsession among leftists that Peterson does and I suspect it's because those books aimed at females don't challenge that established leftist ideology (men are entirely to blame for all the world's problems) like Peterson does.

Is that your actual response?
Annoy, infuriate, etc.. call it whatever you want. The main point is that he goes against the patriarchy boogey man that leftist love so much to blame so Peterson has to be 'bad' in their eyes.

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
You think Peterson is the same as Eat, Pray, Love?

Probably about right.
I didn't say they're exactly the same but they delve in the same area of self help (self discovery and what not) for their respective genders. Women love novels so many of those books come in that form. The same can't be said for men or at least I've never heard about a novel targeted at men in that manner.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
He's become obsessed with the vaccine mandates now.
yeah just like the trans pro noun kerfuffle he monetised, it's the type of thing a wealthy, white guy thinks is an imposition on freedom when he has precisely zero to say about the substantive removals of freedom that other people (less wealthy, non-white) are more likely to experience.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
yeah just like the trans pro noun kerfuffle he monetised, it's the type of thing a wealthy, white guy thinks is an imposition on freedom when he has precisely zero to say about the substantive removals of freedom that other people (less wealthy, non-white) are more likely to experience.

Anti-vaxxers are more likely to be black.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Mostly true, but he does have a bit to say about the lack of freedoms that poor people have; and why they deserve seat at the "identity politics table" ahead of say women and ethnic minorities.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Mostly true, but he does have a bit to say about the lack of freedoms that poor people have; and why they deserve seat at the "identity politics table" ahead of say women and ethnic minorities.
Trump was identity politics (white, male identity politics). A decent question is why there is a supporter crossover when Peterson claims to reject it.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Trump was identity politics (white, male identity politics). A decent question is why there is a supporter crossover when Peterson claims to reject it.
I dont think failing to properly dismiss those who beleive in promoting white male identity politics is the same as strongly advocating for it. Its more that he wanted their supporters rather then pushing their cause as a major platform.

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The chick who wrote eat, pray, love probably didnt try to kill herself a year after she wrote it so im not sure you can say petersons self help is even at that level.

You learn something new everyday. I didn't read book but all I remember from articles and commentary at the time was that many women were divorcing their 'boring' husbands and heading overseas to find themselves and possibly a new 'exotic' international man that would understand and appreciate the 'real' them. Nothing about being superficial selfish vacuous bimbos, everybody else (particularly men) is/was the problem.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
You learn something new everyday. I didn't read book but all I remember from articles and commentary at the time was that many women were divorcing their 'boring' husbands and heading overseas to find themselves and possibly a new 'exotic' international man that would understand and appreciate the 'real' them. Nothing about being superficial selfish vacuous bimbos, everybody else (particularly men) is/was the problem.
I totally agree. Its a rubbish solution to someone who is struggling to cope with life. Going overseas wasnt even an option for most of human existence.

but she didnt try to kill herself A year after telling everyone how to be happy. see the difference?

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I totally agree. Its a rubbish solution to someone who is struggling to cope with life. Going overseas wasnt even an option for most of human existence.

but she didnt try to kill herself A year after telling everyone how to be happy. see the difference?

Oh okay, it was Peterson you were referring to. I can see why that could be held against him but some could also argue that his experience gives him more insight into how to overcome those sorts of feelings.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh okay, it was Peterson you were referring to. I can see why that could be held against him but some could also argue that his experience gives him more insight into how to overcome those sorts of feelings.
He overcame his suicide attempt by going to russia and getting induced into a coma and nearly dying. I.e. he initially choose some weird physical therapy available to few rather than seeking out the very mental self help therapy he pushed to the masses.

and then after going through all that his great words of wisdom it was thoughts of his surviving family that helped him keep on living and without them he would no longer be around. He couldnt figure love for his "family" before trying to kill himself and then nearly killing himself through extreme physical therapy? And what self help does he suggest those without close family members should get?

all his experience shows is he utterly does not have any answers on how to live a good life. In fact he is one desperately in need of some good self help.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Tbf did he ever attempt suicide? I thought he just tried to get over his benzo addiction by getting induced
He says he was extremely suicidal. His daughter says he was experiencing extreme anxiety and suicidality. sounds like at the very least he was telling people he wanted to kill himself and he had to talked back from it.

in any case none of this is what happens to a person who should be giving self help Tips.

Tbf did he ever attempt suicide? I thought he just tried to get over his benzo addiction by getting induced
After the middle aged virgins in the Catholic Church, suicidal bagheads are the people I turn to for those hot tips on making my life that little bit better.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Are people suggesting his philosophy directly caused his mental illness? I think we need to separate what people say when their brain is working and when it isn't. That's my experience with people close to me.

Perhaps "spending too much time with his thoughts" led to depression. I'm not sure where people are coming from when they say his (when well) ideas / philosophies are bad and lead to mental illness. In a nutshell, he was about the power (and necessity) of the individual to better themselves, hardly ground breaking but not wildly controversial or out and out wrong either.

I mean, when elite athletes break a leg or tear a hammy do we use that as evidence that their entire approach to exercise and looking after their body was wrong?

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
After the middle aged virgins in the Catholic Church, suicidal bagheads are the people I turn to for those hot tips on making my life that little bit better.

It is an interesting irony that psychologists/psychiatrists are at or near the top of the list when it comes to chances of becoming mentally ill. They are probably best qualified to help others and yet their own lived experience .....

It is an interesting irony that psychologists/psychiatrists are at or near the top of the list when it comes to chances of becoming mentally ill. They are probably best qualified to help others and yet their own lived experience .....
All fair but most psychs tend to stay in their lane and not aggressively aggrandise themselves as some sort of self help guru either.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Are people suggesting his philosophy directly caused his mental illness? I think we need to separate what people say when their brain is working and when it isn't. That's my experience with people close to me.

Perhaps "spending too much time with his thoughts" led to depression. I'm not sure where people are coming from when they say his (when well) ideas / philosophies are bad and lead to mental illness. In a nutshell, he was about the power (and necessity) of the individual to better themselves, hardly ground breaking but not wildly controversial or out and out wrong either.

I mean, when elite athletes break a leg or tear a hammy do we use that as evidence that their entire approach to exercise and looking after their body was wrong?
the point of self help is to help you overcome mental issues and live a happy life no matter what life throws at you. Depression is overcome through mental thought. Happiness is gained through mental thought. This is the whole basis of cognitive therapy that underlies the entire mental health industry. And peterson was claiming to be an expert who had the answers and tried to make money off this industry. His answers were snake oil.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
All that suggests is the demand is so high for answers that we are giving people qualifications to meet that demand when many arent properly qualified themselves. Peterson clearly being once such pyschologist.

Back