Traded Jordan Clark and F4 traded to Fremantle for #22 and F3 (Carl)

What happens with Clark

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Higgins came into 2020 season off the back of brain surgery which he had late 2019 and was not expected to even be back running for 6 months if ever
he had no pre season as you would expect and was extremely behind the 8 ball.

Made his way back and into the team and played 10 games until he was injured during the early finals games i believe and didnt get back in for the GF due to an established team setup. Dont think the games comparison is a very good one.

pick #25 - #30 looking like the range
Ah yes I forgot about the brain surgery. Fair call.

You're right about the range but I genuinely don't see any benefit to Geelong in not keeping him to his contract unless it's going to be culturally disruptive but he doesn't seem the type. A 2021 wouldn't be in our next premiership side any more than a token pick the next year so why not keep him to his contract. Have a look at the age profile of the players ahead of him, he'll be needed for most of the season.

Ah yes I forgot about the brain surgery. Fair call.

You're right about the range but I genuinely don't see any benefit to Geelong in not keeping him to his contract unless it's going to be culturally disruptive but he doesn't seem the type. A 2021 wouldn't be in our next premiership side any more than a token pick the next year so why not keep him to his contract. Have a look at the age profile of the players ahead of him, he'll be needed for most of the season.
What usually happens is the player no longer wants to be there and if the club doesnt believe they can change his mind or think its really not worth the trouble they will just trade him to get it done. Richmond didnt want to trade Higgins and he had another year on his contract but the player is not happy then you move on. Contracted or not its usually unders

Best small one on one defender ?.

A description that I have never heard about Saad. Darn good dashing defender, but one on one ?.
Yes. Very, very rarely gets beaten. There aren't many small defenders left in the game, but I'd say he is the only one I back one out in the 50 against Charlie Cameron.

Yes. Very, very rarely gets beaten. There aren't many small defenders left in the game, but I'd say he is the only one I back one out in the 50 against Charlie Cameron.
Small defender doesnt have to be physically small , They have to be able to play on a small foward
e.g Dylan Grimes & Brayden Maynard

Quite an amusing example you’ve given since word out of Essendon was that he all but refused to play on Cameron last year.....

I actually believe Saad could be one of the very best one on one defenders, but it’s also pretty clear he doesn’t want to be. Much prefers playing the attacking role.

Some of his defensive efforts this year have been diabolical.

As for Clarke, was extremely impressive in his first year but I’ve barely seen him since. Definitely worth something decent, but unless he strings some good games together, I’d be very surprised if it was a first rounder.

Quite an amusing example you’ve given since word out of Essendon was that he all but refused to play on Cameron last year.....

I actually believe Saad could be one of the very best one on one defenders, but it’s also pretty clear he doesn’t want to be. Much prefers playing the attacking role.

Some of his defensive efforts this year have been diabolical.

As for Clarke, was extremely impressive in his first year but I’ve barely seen him since. Definitely worth something decent, but unless he strings some good games together, I’d be very surprised if it was a first rounder.
That's pretty funny if true. It's a little hard to believe though. He is the perfect opponent for Charlie, the opposite of Clark, who, like most, would get torched.
I've heard that narrative from Essendon before but not from Saad. I thought it too strange to be true. His strength is winning contests then counterattacking. If you dont win the footy first the counterattack is less effective. It would be like Darcy Moore saying he would rather not fly for marks anymore, just stick to the running and kicking bits.

Small defender doesnt have to be physically small , They have to be able to play on a small foward
e.g Dylan Grimes & Brayden Maynard
Yes, of course you dont need to be small to play on a small forward. You need to be competitive like those blokes and not Clark.

But surely you aren't calling Grimes a small defender now? Small defenders are called small because they are small, not because their opponents are.

Yes, of course you dont need to be small to play on a small forward. You need to be competitive like those blokes and not Clark.

But surely you aren't calling Grimes a small defender now? Small defenders are called small because they are small, not because their opponents are.
Small defenders are players capable on playing on small fowards
whats the point in referencing their height ?

No doubt rucks are worth more than smaller players but he has barely played a game in 4 yeara you wont get significant trade value for him..but i like him.
I find it weird if Geelong are contemplating Meek. He would only realistically move for a #1 ruck opportunity and don't see Geelong dropping that at his feet. But if they are, then he has significant trade value.

To add to that, we would be desperate for ruck depth which would become a higher priority to Clark.

Not really sure why Freo would be contemplating him unless he was cheap, in all honesty. With uncertainty over Cerra, Mundy on the cusp of retirement and Fyfe getting on they should really be looking for another inside mid, followed by support for Luke Ryan. Key back would be pretty important I'd have thought. I would imagine they've got much more pressing areas of need than attack HBF including small forward. Josh Treacy at least looks the goods, so they can probably work with him, Taberner and Lobb for the time being.

I find it weird if Geelong are contemplating Meek. He would only realistically move for a #1 ruck opportunity and don't see Geelong dropping that at his feet. But if they are, then he has significant trade value.

To add to that, we would be desperate for ruck depth which would become a higher priority to Clark.
I think Geelong fans are contemplating Meek the same way Geelong fans have been contemplating every available ruck in the league for a decade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows why are players stays or goes ... sometimes they love where they are. Preuess those year at Melb. Maybe Meek is the same but when he is looking at a player like Darcy across the table. Another big ruck that will have the role locked up for the next 5 years plus. Bar injury does he get a game at Freo?

So , like any second tier ruck , he may look at his options. Another club where their #1 is 30 plus would at least give him a opening.

Having said that.. does that mean he fits Geelong. Geelong have not like that style ruck that much..of late. The age of Stanley says we have to look at options soon.

Tbh I don't think Meek would be worth much. He was pick 50 or 60 something... only played a handful of games, and also is out of contract..
With disrespect he would only be worth pigeon feed in trade value.
That would be the same as Fort if he was out of contract ( who should be playing as our no 1 ruck, instead of Esava, but that's another story )

Geelong would likely drop it at his feet-stanley will likely go at years end..blicavs may well be needed in defence and other roles..rata marks well up forward but struggles as a no1 ruck..fort is a 28yo journeyman and neale and tsapa are years off being ready..if hes as good as freo supporters say he would easily beat out that lot for no1 ruck.

I suppose it depends whether he sees himself as a forward or ruck if its the former he might stay but if its as a ruck he will never be no 1 ruck with darcy there..at geelong he could be if he plays well enough.

Looks like a really good comparison IMO

Looked that trade up, small pick upgrade end of first (4 spots) and a future second (future 4th from Richmond in the deal would literally be worth less than a packet of chips). I think it’s a bit different to just getting pick 20 or your first back

I’d be comfortable with something in that range IF he plays the rest of the year now Duncan is out otherwise he seems more out of favour than Higgins was

Higgins is a reasonable comparison, but it's hard to gauge a player's value based on what St Kilda do...

Not really sure why Freo would be contemplating him unless he was cheap, in all honesty. With uncertainty over Cerra, Mundy on the cusp of retirement and Fyfe getting on they should really be looking for another inside mid, followed by support for Luke Ryan. Key back would be pretty important I'd have thought. I would imagine they've got much more pressing areas of need than attack HBF including small forward. Josh Treacy at least looks the goods, so they can probably work with him, Taberner and Lobb for the time being.
If there is one thing we don't need it is to invest reasonable picks into defenders (or half backs in general). I also strongly suspect we'd be intending to play Clark on the wing. JL often talks about our lack of pace on the outside.

Genuine question- does Duncan being out for an extended period leave a spot on a wing for Clark?

If so, he’s probably got a good chance to cement his spot in the seniors. I don’t see him leaving for money, just oppurtunity.

Genuine question- does Duncan being out for an extended period leave a spot on a wing for Clark?

If so, he’s probably got a good chance to cement his spot in the seniors. I don’t see him leaving for money, just oppurtunity.
If he isnt played the kid should without a doubt ask to be traded
33 touches in the VFL and 1st cab off the rank

I was thinking it would mean he's automatically in as a like for like but maybe not as Henderson needs to come back in for the backline structure and MOC needs to drop out of said backline into the middle for a second date with Lachie Neale.

There a bit to think about. Just not good for him that we have Menegola and Smith up and firing in his preferred role.

Richmond currently hold St Kilda's 2nd Round pick which is looking like #25/#26 range

I would happily trade that for Clark and be smiling all night and all week about that trade
Kid will be a player

Sure....but at present he would not be playing in Richmond's side for the same reasons he isn't in Geelong's side.

Back