Traded Jordan Clark and F4 traded to Fremantle for #22 and F3 (Carl)

What happens with Clark

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Geelong would want picks next year because they have so many second rounders this year
Possibly but there's also an argument that the pick they'd use would have to be in the side from rd 1 2023. For the pick range we're talking I'd want a year of vfl in the kid first

There is definitely a value to having a player with an extra year's development from taking them this season compared to next. In that pick range there might be some more risky/value picks due to less exposure - perhaps the draft class next year will have more games played.

Given the lack of exposed form for the draftees making this draft hard to rank - I would be happy with an extra second this year*. That would give us four second round picks and Wells has a pretty good record around there in the draft. I think a future 2nd from Freo (or 3rd) projects to be less valuable than one this year.

*I would personally rather keep Clark though

If Clark is a required player and his position is wing, will he be replacing Smith or Menegola next year?

He wont replace either of them in the 22 as they are critical players to us. But if menegola moves to more of an inside role then he might jag a wing spot although duncan also plays very well there.

Freo would not want to chalk up a 2nd rounder for a player who cannot get a game in the 1st team. Would need something back if that were to happen.

27 for Clark and 52

You just offered him 4 years - 27 is about right for a guy who's played around 30 games in 3 years, and was taken at Pick 15 not too long ago. Us giving you a pick back is unnecessary.

Both teams will think they should get more/give up less (now that Cleary has reported the offer), which in the end is usually about right - especially given that he still has 1 year left on his contract which gives us some leverage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#27 will be at least #29. Who knows what the deal could be but the fact’s are every single Geelong fan wants him to stay. Freo want him bad enough to give him a massive 4 years so maybe we can leave the “he couldn’t get a game” argument as it’s pretty irrelevant.

Last year he was injured all year. If the deal was Clark for #29 then I know who would be left as the disappointed party. Especially as he is contracted.

I mean Jye Caldwell (uncontracted) was drafted 3 picks before Clark. Has played 20 games less. Was offered the same 4 year deal and he went for 2 second round picks under 30.

Possibly but there's also an argument that the pick they'd use would have to be in the side from rd 1 2023. For the pick range we're talking I'd want a year of vfl in the kid first
If Geelong got another second rounder then they could use that pick to get the Bulldogs first rounder at pick 17 or 18. The bulldogs need points for a Darcy bid.

If Geelong got another second rounder then they could use that pick to get the Bulldogs first rounder at pick 17 or 18. The bulldogs need points for a Darcy bid.
Yeah we could but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to trade in to that point of this draft. With so little information, unless it's an obviously elite kid that is gone in the first 10 selections then it's a crapshoot. I'd rather just select a bunch of seconds and make it the hunger games for a debut.

#27 will be at least #29. Who knows what the deal could be but the fact’s are every single Geelong fan wants him to stay. Freo want him bad enough to give him a massive 4 years so maybe we can leave the “he couldn’t get a game” argument as it’s pretty irrelevant.

Last year he was injured all year. If the deal was Clark for #29 then I know who would be left as the disappointed party. Especially as he is contracted.

I mean Jye Caldwell (uncontracted) was drafted 3 picks before Clark. Has played 20 games less. Was offered the same 4 year deal and he went for 2 second round picks under 30.
If Freo ends up with Carlton's second as part of the Cerra trade then Freo could pair our second rounder with Carlton's to get the Bulldogs pick 18 and some later picks to help us hopefully make a bid for Jesse Motlop who will probably require a bid to match of around pick 25ish. They could trade a future third to get Brisbanes current third rounder for example as they don't have any picks in the third round currently. The Bulldogs would have more points than they would if they kept pick 18 and then freo could trade pick 18 for Clark. I think pick 18 is about right.

Pick 27 for Clark is reasonable.
Its significant unders in my view. Clark is way better than Freo supporters here seem to think. Really similar not in playing style but to the standard of player Jack Steele was at the same time in his career. Steele wasnt able to stay in the GWS team when everyone was fit due to their outstanding midfield depth but was a good player at afl level when given opportunity. Just like Steele did Clark also has dominated when sent back to state league level.

Its significant unders in my view. Clark is way better than Freo supporters here seem to think. Really similar not in playing style but to the standard of player Jack Steele was at the same time in his career. Steele wasnt able to stay in the GWS team when everyone was fit due to their outstanding midfield depth but was a good player at afl level when given opportunity. Just like Steele did Clark also has dominated when sent back to state league level.

I think 27 is fair (despite his ability) if he was OOC. Given he is contracted a late teens pick might be needed for geelong to release him and i reckon we would do that. Depends how keen freo is to get him now. If i was them id just wait and get him cheaper in 12 months though.

Freo would not want to chalk up a 2nd rounder for a player who cannot get a game in the 1st team. Would need something back if that were to happen.

27 for Clark and 52
Freo needs some late picks to make a bid for Jesse Motlop if he's available He might go before pick 20 but there's still a good chance that we would be able to bid for him in the range of pick 25 so any late picks would be helpful. That means trading our second rounder to get Clark also makes more sense as we wouldn't want to use pick 27 (will be 29) on a pick 25 bid.

If Freo ends up with Carlton's second as part of the Cerra trade then Freo could pair our second rounder with Carlton's to get the Bulldogs pick 18 and some later picks to help us hopefully make a bid for Jesse Motlop who will probably require a bid to match of around pick 25ish. They could trade a future third to get Brisbanes current third rounder for example as they don't have any picks in the third round currently. The Bulldogs would have more points than they would if they kept pick 18 and then freo could trade pick 18 for Clark. I think pick 18 is about right.
I reckon your going to be over the moon when this trade goes through Sherrif

Back