Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Adelaide provided the blueprint on what to expect with its Jake Lever deal. Struck in year when Adelaide finished top of the ladder and Melbourne were outside the eight...

The Crows have acquired Melbourne’s 2017 first-round draft pick (currently pick No.10), a future first-round pick and a future fourth-round pick.

In exchange Adelaide will send Jake Lever, a second-round pick (currently pick No.35) and a future third-round selection.
Melbourne also gave Lever an elite player's contract......

Weren’t there Crows fans keen on breaking up 4 to try to get Draper AND Robert’s. Instead of that you can get Dawson and one of those two. If either turned out as good as Dawson you’d be ecstatic.

Think Dawson is worth about pick 10. 4 (6) and a 3rd for Dawson and 12 (14) is pretty reasonable.

Dawson is proven young talent, pick 23 as the main part of the deal is grossly insufficient

In the final day if that's your final offer I would wager he is 50% chance to reconsider port, 35% chance to return to Syd.
why would HE reconsider - HE is the one getting paid the money he wants. Sydney might be angry (rightly so) but where do they go from there if the crows are putting pick 23 there with 5 minutes to go on the last day of player trade. Do Sydney fold and accept such an offer or do they dig their heels in and say off the the PSD for you Mr Dawson. What other options do Sydney have?

Weren’t there Crows fans keen on breaking up 4 to try to get Draper AND Robert’s

There's scant opportunity to split a high pick this year, nobody has two first round picks in the teens, the closest is Richmond with 7 and 15, and 15 is too much to give up to only move up 3 places.

There's scant opportunity to split a high pick this year, nobody has two first round picks in the teens, the closest is Richmond with 7 and 15, and 15 is too much to give up to only move up 3 places.
Yeah but a lot of Crow's supporters would have liked both right and would have broken up 4 to get both if it was reasonable? I think you can do that here but instead of one of them, it's Dawson. If it was Freo, I'd have absolutely no problem with 4 & 40 something for Dawson & 12.

This isnt Hately who couldnt get a game (for good reason it turns out), Dawson is worth a lot and 23 as the main part of the deal wont cut it IMO

Yeah but a lot of Crow's supporters would have liked both right and would have broken up 4 to get both if it was reasonable? I think you can do that here but instead of one of them, it's Dawson. If it was Freo, I'd have absolutely no problem with 4 & 40 something for Dawson & 12.

This isnt Hately who couldnt get a game (for good reason it turns out), Dawson is worth a lot and 23 as the main part of the deal wont cut it IMO
you are confusing a contracted player with an uncontracted player. If Dawson was contracted, then absolutely the crows (if he chooses them) would have to pay up big if Sydney would even let him go. But he is not contracted and has made it clear to them he wants to come back to SA as an uncontracted player. Therefore if Dawson likes the crows offer and is keen to play with them and the crows play hardball and hold the line with pick 23 - what options do Sydney have. Not trying to be smart, but that is the system and this year the crows happen to have a low pick in the PSD which should be used in leverage in any trade discussions if the crows are doing their job properly to ensure they are not paying more than they have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you are confusing a contracted player with an uncontracted player. If Dawson was contracted, then absolutely the crows (if he chooses them) would have to pay up big if Sydney would even let him go. But he is not contracted and has made it clear to them he wants to come back to SA as an uncontracted player. Therefore if Dawson likes the crows offer and is keen to play with them and the crows play hardball and hold the line with pick 23 - what options do Sydney have. Not trying to be smart, but that is the system and this year the crows happen to have a low pick in the PSD which should be used in leverage in any trade discussions if the crows are doing their job properly to ensure they are not paying more than they have to.
Disagree, you are inflating the impact on contract status once the player reaches a certain value.

Valuable players still go for at least close to fair value when out of contract per most historical trades because clubs are willing to pay to make sure the deal gets done and Dawson is a valuable player.

Dawson clearly doesnt seem to mind if he plays for Adelaide or Port at this stage so if I'm Sydney and Adelaide come with pick 23 I'd be telling Dawson that Adelaide dont value you appropriately, you can go to Port, re-sign or try the PSD.

23 for me is gross unders, regardless of pick swaps chucked in and wont get it done

Disagree, you are inflating the impact on contract status once the player reaches a certain value.

Valuable players still go for at least close to fair value when out of contract per most historical trades because clubs are willing to pay to make sure the deal gets done and Dawson is a valuable player.

Dawson clearly doesnt seem to mind if he plays for Adelaide or Port at this stage so if I'm Sydney and Adelaide come with pick 23 I'd be telling Dawson that Adelaide dont value you appropriately, you can go to Port, re-sign or try the PSD.

23 for me is gross unders, regardless of pick swaps chucked in and wont get it done
I disagree - once he chooses a team, he won't be pulling away from that. How many players once they nominate a team change their mind - I can't really think of any (there may have been the odd one I can't recall).

And the next part of your comment is quite crucial

so if I'm Sydney and Adelaide come with pick 23 I'd be telling Dawson that Adelaide dont value you appropriately, you can go to Port, re-sign or try the PSD

Dawson will have agreed a contract he is happy with at say the crows in this example so the line about the crows not valuing him is a red herring and as i noted, the crows would not be doing their job properly if they were not leveraging their position in the psd if Sydney are digging in - so that threat might not be a bad risk for the crows to take should Sydney threaten it

I disagree - once he chooses a team, he won't be pulling away from that. How many players once they nominate a team change their mind - I can't really think of any (there may have been the odd one I can't recall).

And the next part of your comment is quite crucial

so if I'm Sydney and Adelaide come with pick 23 I'd be telling Dawson that Adelaide dont value you appropriately, you can go to Port, re-sign or try the PSD

Dawson will have agreed a contract he is happy with at say the crows in this example so the line about the crows not valuing him is a red herring and as i noted, the crows would not be doing their job properly if they were not leveraging their position in the psd if Sydney are digging in - so that threat might not be a bad risk for the crows to take should Sydney threaten it
It doesnt happen because clubs end up paying appropriately.

If you're willing to miss out on a quality 24 yo player because you want to pay unders rather than fair value, then all the power to you

THIS.

Look at Tim Kelly or Saad. PSD is a legit threat for a Lipinski. Not a threat for Dawson.

Also that is mutually assured destruction, if after 4 players in a row choose port one finally chooses Crows and you lose him to north you will be a laughing stock.

Weren’t there Crows fans keen on breaking up 4 to try to get Draper AND Robert’s. Instead of that you can get Dawson and one of those two. If either turned out as good as Dawson you’d be ecstatic.

Think Dawson is worth about pick 10. 4 (6) and a 3rd for Dawson and 12 (14) is pretty reasonable.

Dawson is proven young talent, pick 23 as the main part of the deal is grossly insufficient
Or break 4 for draper and Roberts and get Dawson for 23...
We can dream

It doesnt happen because clubs end up paying appropriately.

If you're willing to miss out on a quality 24 yo player because you want to pay unders rather than fair value, then all the power to you
its not me doing the trade. Al I am doing is highlighting the system and it unfortunately for the club losing the player, is stacked against it when a player is OOC and then nominates a club they want to go to like all of them end up doing

its not me doing the trade. Al I am doing is highlighting the system and it unfortunately for the club losing the player, is stacked against it when a player is OOC and then nominates a club they want to go to like all of them end up doing
You/your club, same thing.

All I am doing is highlighting that the threat of PSD is a furphy used on BF because historically, valuable players still go for a fair price unless you can provide an example I'm missing. I'm confident pick 23 as the main part of the deal will not get the trade done

You/your club, same thing.

All I am doing is highlighting that the threat of PSD is a furphy used on BF because historically, valuable players still go for a fair price unless you can provide an example I'm missing. I'm confident pick 23 as the main part of the deal will not get the trade done
Well we will agree to disagree on that as I think it unlikely the crows are using pick 4 and they won't be keen at all to touch next years 1st with Lukosius and Rankine both OOC at the end of next year at this stage

So he's been spotted running for a getaway car leaving lunch at Alberton, with a huge press gang (for Adelaide) following him.

Classy place, so more than likely some king prawns with that orange seafood cocktail sauce stuff. Details at 6.

That kind of stuff is a fun fantasy, but it's just that. Fantasy.

After all, if Dawson has chosen Adelaide (or Port for that matter), he already knows either club values them and are just playing hardball with Sydney to give themselves the best chance to build a premiership team involving Dawson. The losing club has little to no leverage in this situation, with how much appetite a club has for the PSD route being the deciding factor between little or no. Adelaide would likely have a lot of appetite for the PSD route, due to being in a rebuild and having a lot of salary cap room. Port would have none because of Adelaide.

Now if a North decided to keep a lot of salary cap free and were interested in sniping Dawson if he drops through, then that would certainly give Sydney leverage against either club, and remove the likelihood of Adelaide doing this deal for 23. If they don't, then there isn't an incentive for Adelaide to offer more.

That kind of stuff is a fun fantasy, but it's just that. Fantasy.

After all, if Dawson has chosen Adelaide (or Port for that matter), he already knows either club values them and are just playing hardball with Sydney to give themselves the best chance to build a premiership team around Dawson. The losing club has little to no leverage in this situation, with how much appetite a club has for the PSD route being the deciding factor between little or no. Adelaide would likely have a lot of appetite for the PSD route. Port would have none.
Already said my piece, its consistent with my feelings on Cerra.

23 is grossly insufficient that Sydney wont accept it, good players get traded for fairish value regardless of contract status

Already said my piece, its consistent with my feelings on Cerra.

23 is grossly insufficient that Sydney wont accept it, good players get traded for fairish value regardless of contract status

If there is half an hour to go in the trade deadline, and the offer is 23 or PSD (and North don't look like they'll be in a position to snipe Dawson), you can bet your bottom dollar Sydney are taking pick 23. At that point, pragmatism kicks in over fairness.

I don't think we get to that point. I half reckon Adelaide will be overexcited to land someone major and overpay.

Back