Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

More so what clubs will "offer" for just potential elite players, we did get overs for Lever but Melbourne sign him up to an elite salary of $800-850K based on potential. I heard many footy expert say Port Power's pick was around the mark which I agree with.

From Adelaide it wouldn't surprise me if the trade is something similar to 4 and a future third for Dawson and 12.

From Port think it will be 16 and a player.

Both trade scenario's aren't great for Sydney, but his out of contract.

What? He has been playing good football since 2019, If you pay attention in the league and not just be a one eyed ******* you can see how well people play.
Sit down boggs.

Firstly please don’t throw profanities at me, it’s immature.

No one has stood up and noticed Dawson in that elite bracket until this season,so he’s still building his body of work.

And I’m far from one eyed

From Adelaide it wouldn't surprise me if the trade is something similar to 4 and a future third for Dawson and 12.

So virtually pick 16 and 12 for pick 4, highly doubtful.

Would have thought Adelaide's opening gambit would be just pick 23, with an eye to going no further than 23 plus future 2nd.

Would have thought Adelaide's opening gambit would be just pick 23, with an eye to going no further than 23 plus future 2nd
If Dawson nominates we are in a bit of a spot of limited leverage. Then again Tim Kelly OOC got a kings ransom so it can be done……

If Dawson nominates we are in a bit of a spot of limited leverage. Then again Tim Kelly OOC got a kings ransom so it can be done……

There was a slight difference there, in that Fremantle were picking ahead of the Eagles in both drafts, so less weight behind the negotiating position

Can’t agree with this sweeping notion that Dawson has only had one good year. Was top 10 (top 9 in fact) in Sydney’s B&F in 2019 and 2020 also.

Also can’t agree that the Crows have stitched him up based purely on the fact that he toured their facilities today. He was and still is meeting both clubs. Were we always just going to assume that whoever he meets with first are automatically going to be the preferred club? I don’t think it works like that at all.

Also I haven’t even bothered to check the details, but Rowie has a lifetime average of .000 for having correct intel about anything. Anyone listening to him needs help.

Crows will certainly give up more than pick 23 for Dawson if he does nominate them. Clearly that will be their starting point in negotiations. Clearly they’ll end up throwing in a 2022 2nd rounder and receiving a 2022 4th rounder back or something. It’s obvious. Either that or there’s a separate trade that upgrades Adelaide’s pick 23 to something in the teens, which they then send to Sydney.

Port still in the mix. I’d say we’ll know by Monday.
Have you seen the Crows facilities?

They are old and in a construction site.

If he's stitched up it's not the facilities tour that did it.

#sackken

Have you seen the Crows facilities?

They are old and in a construction site.

If he's stitched up it's not the facilities tour that did it.

#sackken

Hey, we have some artists renditions of the new place that might be at Bowden in a couple years! :D

Realistically though, like any of us at our jobs players generally don't tell their current employer they're leaving without having a destination sorted in advance. I think he picked one of the two clubs a while ago (and I'm hopeful it's us given his manager leaked to the media all the way back in May that we were into him) as his destination should Sydney fail to meet his demands, and the current pantomime is just his manager doing things that managers do, trying to squeeze every last dollar he can.

Could be wrong but!

Last edited:

A severely flawed system will see that we don't give up pick 4. I don't agree with it but we have been on the receiving end of this scenario many times and the outgoing team always gets F$@ked. Terrible system to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect, *if* he nominated us, it’ll be our 2021 and 2022 2nds

From what the club is said, we’re pretty adamant about using pick 4 (as we should be)

I can see it playing out along those lines. It is kind of crap for the Swans, though. I reckon he's worth a top 10 draft pick in the following sense: If I had the option of the Swans holding on to Dawson or having (say) pick 8 in the 2021 draft, I'd be holding on to Dawson. Obviously that's not how it works: he'll nominate a club and we'll basically have to accept whatever that club offers for him.

At the very least, the AFL should randomise the PSD order, and only reveal the order at the end of the trade period. A club finishing towards the bottom of the ladder will more likely pay the player's actual value if there's less certainty of getting him through the PSD should a trade fall through.

I wouldn't be expecting Adelaide to split their top five pick.

At the very least, the AFL should randomise the PSD order, and only reveal the order at the end of the trade period. A club finishing towards the bottom of the ladder will more likely pay the player's actual value if there's less certainty of getting him through the PSD should a trade fall through.

I think you're more likely to see the AFL allow clubs to trade a PSD pick rather than randomising the order before the draft. It's just an unfortunate quirk of the system that affords a low ranked team the chance to add talent and rebound faster - which the AFL want.

To be honest the average footy fan outside of NSW would be lucky to name more than 5 Sydney players - the result of the Victorian centric media.
Not all mate. Proper footy fans are all over every team. Gulden is one of the best kicks into (and inside) the 50 in the comp. McCartin has had a great season and is coming some ways to covering Alir. Actually probably already covering Alir's recent output at Sydney which wasn't at the high level it is at now at Port.

I wouldn't be expecting Adelaide to split their top five pick.

I think you're more likely to see the AFL allow clubs to trade a PSD pick rather than randomising the order before the draft. It's just an unfortunate quirk of the system that affords a low ranked team the chance to add talent and rebound faster - which the AFL want.

I can't see them allowing clubs to trade PSD pickes, particularly since a high PSD pick typically isn't worth anything.

To be clear, I'm in favour of equalisation measures that benefit clubs finishing towards the bottom of the ladder. I just don't see that this should extend to allowing clubs to leverage the PSD to underpay at the trade table. (This is obviously nothing against Adelaide.) Another option is just to get rid of the PSD altogether, and force uncontracted players who've not been traded to go through the National Draft. Again, this would encourage clubs to pay something like the player's actual value in any trade.

I can see it playing out along those lines. It is kind of crap for the Swans, though. I reckon he's worth a top 10 draft pick in the following sense: If I had the option of the Swans holding on to Dawson or having (say) pick 8 in the 2021 draft, I'd be holding on to Dawson. Obviously that's not how it works: he'll nominate a club and we'll basically have to accept whatever that club offers for him.

I agree with you in that I'd prefer to hold Dawson than pick 8 or any mid first round pick, he's a proven asset.

However at the same time I also think that AFL trades for uncontracted players are kinda silly (and to some extent the draft itself).

Legitimately Dawson (or any player) can refuse to sign for any club aside from the one he wants to go to, meaning clubs have effectively 0 power in trading, the only reason clubs still trade picks is out of some sense of wanting the same in return.

But really how much worse would all clubs be if tomorrow they all just decided to no longer trade picks for OOC players?
ie you'd no longer get compo for OOC players leaving but you wouldn't have to pay compo for OOC players coming either.

Probably not the thread for that discussion, but its almost inevitable that the AFL as an industry shifts in that direction.

Adelaide provided the blueprint on what to expect with its Jake Lever deal. Struck in year when Adelaide finished top of the ladder and Melbourne were outside the eight...

The Crows have acquired Melbourne’s 2017 first-round draft pick (currently pick No.10), a future first-round pick and a future fourth-round pick.

In exchange Adelaide will send Jake Lever, a second-round pick (currently pick No.35) and a future third-round selection.

Could Crows potentially do a deal swap with Richmond in order to get Dawson? Crows give 4 + 23 for Richmond's 7 and 15. Richmond win as they get a top pick and an early second while crows win as pick 7 can still be used for SA talent like Draper, Roberts etc. and then pick 15 could be sent to Sydney for Dawson.
I could definitely see this happening. Richmond need mids and the best three Vic mids in the open draft (imo Callaghan, Ward and Hobbs) will all be gone by our pick 7 (9), but at least one of them will be there at pick 4 (6). And as you say apart from Horne-Francis, the best SA talent will still be there at 7 (9).

Adelaide provided the blueprint on what to expect with its Jake Lever deal. Struck in year when Adelaide finished top of the ladder and Melbourne were outside the eight...

The Crows have acquired Melbourne’s 2017 first-round draft pick (currently pick No.10), a future first-round pick and a future fourth-round pick.

In exchange Adelaide will send Jake Lever, a second-round pick (currently pick No.35) and a future third-round selection.

This is a joke right?

Back