Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Of course North take him. Worst case scenario, he tells them to get stuffed and sits the year out, and North can trade him to an SA club for a second rounder in 2022. Even if he refused to ever set foot in the club, at absolute worst he's very good trade bait and he only costs you a list spot for a season.

Really players should not be allowed to go into the PSD. They should be forced into the main draft as that would be fairer.

Didn't the AFL cut that loophole after the Luke Ball fiasco?

Net result would be the same as PSD anyway, Swans get nothing and he still ends up at an SA club. Any club not from South Australia would have to be absolutely stupid to pick him up in the ND anyway.

Swans may come out of this okay if they can try force a bidding war between the Crows and Port anyway.

Didn't the AFL cut that loophole after the Luke Ball fiasco?

Net result would be the same as PSD anyway, Swans get nothing and he still ends up at an SA club. Any club not from South Australia would have to be absolutely stupid to pick him up in the ND anyway.

Swans may come out of this okay if they can try force a bidding war between the Crows and Port anyway.
There is no such thing as a bidding war once he nominate, the only bidding war will be the size of this contract before he nominate.

There is no such thing as a bidding war once he nominate, the only bidding war will be the size of this contract before he nominate.

In a two team town, the Swans can easily tell The Crows if he nominates them that they will have to increase their (imo likely) first offer of pick 23 or they will convince him to trade to Port.

It doesn't seem like he is particularly fussed as to which SA club he goes to at any rate.

Local media reporting we are in the box seat to land Dawson.

Don't muck this up, just get the deal done early
I’m going to try to be impartial here.

I think if he nominates the crows is super unlikely to happen early, almost guaranteed to be final day or two. For a couple of reasons:
- even though I would personally pay it he isn’t worth pick 4 OOC, so you don’t have a pick that matches his worth
- crows under pressure to rise and see pick 4 player as a key element to that
- there will be some attempt at shenanigans and leverage of PSD due to your low ladder position
- swans whilst he fair traders won’t accept unders

So it’s either split 4 or try to package 23 and two later picks to bulldogs for their first and then offer to us plus a 2022 2/3rd.

this all takes time, especially pick swaps so don’t expect this early.

ironically if he chooses port could be done on day 2 with pick 16 and fringe players to swans for Dawson and 3rd rounder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m going to try to be impartial here.

I think if he nominates the crows is super unlikely to happen early, almost guaranteed to be final day or two. For a couple of reasons:
- even though I would personally pay it he isn’t worth pick 4 OOC, so you don’t have a pick that matches his worth
- crows under pressure to rise and see pick 4 player as a key element to that
- there will be some attempt at shenanigans and leverage of PSD due to your low ladder position
- swans whilst he fair traders won’t accept unders

So it’s either split 4 or try to package 23 and two later picks to bulldogs for their first and then offer to us plus a 2022 2/3rd.

this all takes time, especially pick swaps so don’t expect this early.

ironically if he chooses port could be done on day 2 with pick 16 and fringe players to swans for Dawson and 3rd rounder
Dawson will nominate early next week (probably Monday) and then there will be no bidding war with the club he nominate. There isn't any band 1 or 2 FA compensation this year so if he does nominate us then we are arguing over a 7 pick difference from Port Power's pick 16 and a fringe player hence hardly worth going to the PSD. I think it will be pick 23 and our 2022 3rd rounder.

Last edited:
Of course North take him. Worst case scenario, he tells them to get stuffed and sits the year out, and North can trade him to an SA club for a second rounder in 2022. Even if he refused to ever set foot in the club, at absolute worst he's very good trade bait and he only costs you a list spot for a season.
It would cost them a list spot and across the board list spots are tight

If both clubs have near the same offer I would love for a player to say "thanks swans for all you have done, I'll go to where you can get the best deal"

Local media reporting we are in the box seat to land Dawson.

Don't muck this up, just get the deal done early

How would the local media know anything? Did you see the treatment Tom Rhen got when he tried to ask him a question. Local media would know less than big footy

How would the local media know anything? Did you see the treatment Tom Rhen got when he tried to ask him a question. Local media would know less than big footy
That was Theo, wasn’t it?

That said, your point is valid. Won’t believe he’s nominated us until I see it

Swans still trying to convince him to stay. Think it’s recoverable like Papley. He has hated media focus in last 2 days and is going back to Robe.

If there isn’t a trade done and it’s late my guess is the swans think there is a non-zero chance he will re-sign the 2 year deal and wait for free agency.

Last edited:
There's scant opportunity to split a high pick this year, nobody has two first round picks in the teens, the closest is Richmond with 7 and 15, and 15 is too much to give up to only move up 3 places.

Brisbane have 14 and 18 but i get your point.

Swans still trying to convince him to stay. Think it’s recoverable like Papley. He has hated media focus in last 2 days and is going back to Robe.

If there isn’t a trade done and it’s late my mail is the swans think there is a non-zero chance he will re-sign the 2 year deal and wait for free agency.
I want this to be true so will believe it

If there isn’t a trade done and it’s late my mail is the swans think there is a non-zero chance he will re-sign the 2 year deal and wait for free agency.

So he’s going to put it off for 2 years to go ahead and go through it all again in 2 years time?

If he just nominated the club the media will calm down but because it’s between the 2 clubs it’s all overhyped

Back