Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Is a weird one.

You have Daicos, Darcy, Horne and Callaghan as top four. Outside of those can throw a blanket over the next 10-15 with no real dominant KPPs except maybe Gibcus and potentially Amiss.

With our list structure, need an early twenties best 22 player ideally. Will it happen - probably not.

It certainly seems that way, though we should be firmly focused on midfielders this draft. It's probably the only area that's looking particularly bare at this point, prospect wise. I do wonder how enamoured we are with SA kids, and in particular, Draper which is why I reckon we'll end up relenting with pick 4 if we got 12 back.

Yeah, that kind of want can certainly be hard to engineer, especially if you're looking for an acquisition to try to push your squad to the top 4. Might be doable if you're willing to raid the bargain bin though for a role player though.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure. He grew up a Crows fan but you would assume he wants some immediate success so Port is the natural fit. Swans won't really get a choice as it's Jordan's decision with who he nominates but I assume the club's preference would be to secure a young player that plugs any holes in our list. Do the Crows have a surplus of young KPDs or does Kelly's looming departure leave you a bit short?

Quite likely if your gunning for immediate success, you're not getting it in SA in the near future. The damage is done with Ports core (though they might end up being a filler team in finals for a couple more years), and Adelaide are miles off it.

Kelly isn't a KPD, more one of those dime a dozen mid sized defenders that exist in the league.

We've been rather overstocked with KPDs (or players who could transition to) this year, with that issue getting progressively worse as the year went on, which has seemingly driven the decision from us to not offer Talia a new contract. After all, we threw Butts to the wolves this year as our main shutdown defender with Talia being injured, and he did an admirable job considering how bad the team was, and how raw he is. Murray (who we picked up as an SPP pick) started to establish himself late, and has also looked a player. Even starting to build a decent highlight package which is utterly weird for a key defender. Beyond that we've got McAsey (struggled in 2021), Worrell (though he's more Allir then a Talia type), Borlase (NGA pick, did ok), and now Frampton playing as tall defenders.

We have truly gorged on key defensive prospects over the last couple of years.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure. He grew up a Crows fan but you would assume he wants some immediate success so Port is the natural fit. Swans won't really get a choice as it's Jordan's decision with who he nominates but I assume the club's preference would be to secure a young player that plugs any holes in our list. Do the Crows have a surplus of young KPDs or does Kelly's looming departure leave you a bit short?

Kelly is not a KPD at all, but in reference to that, I wouldn’t say we do have a surplus of young KPDs, no. Butts and Murray look the likely round 1 2022 starters, with Doedee playing the medium tall role.

McAsey was obviously recruited as a KPD, but it’s possible that his future lies at the other end of the ground.

Frampton is a failed forward who looks to have some Liam Jones-like abilities down back.

Himmelberg and Fogarty and both key forwards. I suppose some clubs might prefer to try to turn Himmelberg into a defender

Worrell is a nice size (196ish) but doesn’t scream KPP - he’s more the 3rd tall type, at whichever end of the ground you want to play him at.

Thilthorpe projects as either a key forward, or potentially even that Nik Cox-style tall wingman, who can back up in the ruck. He is by far the most untouchable player on our list.

As far as players who could be included in a potential Dawson trade, I would say Himmelberg and Frampton would be the most likely, if Sydney had any interest. Picks 23, 37 and Himmelberg might just get it done for instance.

Whether it is Port or the Crows, The Bloods will be after a fair trade. Third in our BnF and can play anywhere, inc mids. People just talk about his kicking but he has a complete arsenal of skills as well as super Footy IQ.

The threat of North will hang over Jordan's head.

Port aren’t giving him immediate success. They have got a few oldies who are either done or have a year left. Hopefully Dawson sees that.

Whether it is Port or the Crows, The Bloods will be after a fair trade. Third in our BnF and can play anywhere, inc mids. People just talk about his kicking but he has a complete arsenal of skills as well as super Footy IQ.

Nah

Or given he’s been part of a young team rise up the ladder he wants to do it again
That's a likely scenario George!

Ran into Jordan Dawson in the main street of Robe yesterday, he said he enjoyed the two seasons Swans spent at the bottom of the ladder so much that he's nominating the Crows to do a repeat. Said he loves not playing finals.

Dawson is a must get for us, I didn't think we had that much hope but after last night's capitulation by Port?

That's a likely scenario George!

Ran into Jordan Dawson in the main street of Robe yesterday, he said he enjoyed the two seasons Swans spent at the bottom of the ladder so much that he's nominating the Crows to do a repeat. Said he loves not playing finals.

Dawson is a must get for us, I didn't think we had that much hope but after last night's capitulation by Port?
Lucky he hasn’t been with us the last 2 years, we won’t make it in 2022 but 2023 is a chance.

Port have senior players who will need to be replaced. They’ve blown their chance.

23 + Frampton for Dawson +2022/3 works for me!

dawson would be easily Worth more than anyone other than daicos, Horne and Darcy in this draft.
if he is happy to go home to either club
I reckon Sydney get 4 and 3rd rounder
adelaide get Dawson and 12
adelaide need to Land a good player

if he chooses port
first rounder and Hayes for Dawson and a steak knife pick seems right
though Dawson plays with little physicality and I am actually not sure he is the sort of player port actually need

No one is going to spend $750k taking a player that doesn't want to be there. It just doesn't happen.

He probably doesn't get to Port but he'd get to the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys traded Tom Mitchell for 14 and 52.

Dawson's not worth top 10. I think 16 is perfect value.
Hahah using the Tom Mitchell trade as evidence is like using the Weller trade for pick 2 as evidence.

I am confident the swans wouldn’t accept the above being effectively pick 18/20 for a $700k top3 player at age 24…

Powa and immediate success?

They're not going to get a piss easy draw again like they had this year and once the country has been fully Covid vaccinated and unlikely to have the home ground advantage again either.
They desperately need a true KPD and their only KPF Dixon is 31 in a month's time, Tom Jonas in the same boat....going to need some very clever list management for them to be serious contenders any time soon, they're big chance was this year and they blew it big time.

Sydney dont really have a say he is ooc its all dawson,s decision

You guys traded Tom Mitchell for 14 and 52.

Dawson's not worth top 10. I think 16 is perfect value.
Tom Mitchell rightly or wrongly wasn't rated highly internally at the Swans. Dawson is. The contract we have offered sounds significantly better than the contract we offered Mitchell. He's not a useful measuring stick here at all.

Back