Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Don't think Dawson will screw over a club that has treated him so well since he was drafted.

Anyhow no one knows which SA club he will nominate anyway, if he had any brains, it would be Port Though, Crows years away from being a decent team

Maybe but the Swans won't settle for the Crows second round pick either and Dawson is not going to through the PSD Either.

Crows need to better their offer (from what ibhave seen suggested from AFC fans here) or he goes to Port; simple as that
He out of contract so please tell me how sydney wont accept pick 23 ????

I know. Hence the "wish" bit in the statement.

Would like to see an more American based system as contracts, across the league, seemingly mean sweet FA in recent years
Yup and the other thing that gets me is when a victorian kids says he wont go interstate it ok but if its the other way round it draft tampering like wtf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a FA , so should go to whoever offers the best deal or to the ND
Yes you have said that… So if Adelaide were offering him 100k more a year but port offered a better package to the swans he should be forced to take the worse contract?

No

He fulfilled his contractual obligations, he now gets to choose where he wants to go.

Yes you have said that… So if Adelaide were offering him 100k more a year but port offered a better package to the swans he should be forced to take the worse contract?

No

He fulfilled his contractual obligations, he now gets to choose where he wants to go.

I say after every contract is done, all players are FA which increasingly seems to be the case anyhow.

Trade odd - clubs can trade players at anytime. Think that is more than reasonable trade off to both parties.

No

So you're happy for players to be free agents after their initial 2 year contract?

He chooses Adelaide and they say "we'll give you pick 80", Swans just have to take it?

When does that happen?
Well if they see out their initial 2 year contract, they can go wherever they like, just like a FA in your model.

In that case, why would a club trade anything of value if they're guaranteed to get the player?

Well if they see out their initial 2 year contract, they can go wherever they like, just like a FA in your model.

In that case, why would a club trade anything of value if they're guaranteed to get the player?
My model is the current model…

A player when out of contract can nominate a club of choice, if his current club is so dissatisfied with the trade offer they can send them to the pre season draft and get nothing.

It rarely comes to that because clubs almost always act in good faith.

Not until the wages get a lot higher, especially for the bottom earners.

I think everything is relatively okay just make rookie contracts longer.

I reckon if you’re on average wage, or being offered a contract of at least average wage, your club should have the option to trade you anywhere. Far too much power with the players in terms of nominating a single club and then the host club being screwed.

The go home factor is a constant detriment to the northern clubs, which they’re currently trying to offset via the academy structure. Then you get a year like last year where Sydney draft 2 academy prospects and Vic media lose their shiiite claiming the academies are unfair. Dawson is a classic example of why northern clubs will not be competitive without academies.

Dawson will likely go for a pick/player/combo of about the value of pick 20. If he had a year to run on his contract it’d be a top 10 pick plus a 2nd rounder. As a Swans fan, I’d be more than willing to give that up for a player of his calibre and age.

Looking at lists, prefer to deal with port.

See what happens but not holding my breath.
What's their list got to do with it... as they are not going to give you back a similar quality player.

Maybe but the Swans won't settle for the Crows second round pick either and Dawson is not going to through the PSD Either.

Crows need to better their offer (from what ibhave seen suggested from AFC fans here) or he goes to Port; simple as that
Lol, no!

Dawson will select which club he wants to go to.

Name me the last player who was dictated to by the club he was leaving?

What's their list got to do with it... as they are not going to give you back a similar quality player.

Everything.

We are not going to get a top three in BnF player.

However, looking at the lists and draft picks we are more likely to get a positional need/better pick from port than crows.

KPP/rucks who could be involved from Port: Ladhams, Hayes, Clurey, Marshall, Georgiades.

From Adelaide.... no one who i can see on your list and crows will likely attempt to strong arm us into pick 23 and rubbish. Whereas port more likely to do 17 and steak knives.

This is as it currently stands picks wise etc

Back