Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Everything.

We are not going to get a top three in BnF player.

However, looking at the lists and draft picks we are more likely to get a positional need/better pick from port than crows.

KPP/rucks who could be involved from Port: Ladhams, Hayes, Clurey, Marshall, Georgiades.

From Adelaide.... no one who i can see on your list and crows will likely attempt to strong arm us into pick 23 and rubbish. Whereas port more likely to do 17 and steak knives.

This is as it currently stands picks wise etc
Good luck getting a good player out of Port.

You are dreaming...

Better luck than getting value out of crows.

Definitively, would prefer to deal with Port.
It won't matter as Sydney won't get a say in who Dawson chooses so it's irrelevant which club you personally prefer to deal with.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
But it's logical the rumours coming out that he wants to go to Port - far better performing if he wants success in the future. As long as the contract $ are in the ballpark, he'll go for the better chance of success. Yes, it doesn't matter who Sydney fans would prefer.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
It won't matter as Sydney won't get a say in who Dawson chooses so it's irrelevant which club you personally prefer to deal with.

I mean, personally I thought all BF posters were list managers!

I was wrong in that assumption?!

Asides, my original post stands:
I would prefer that Jordan nominates port so we can extract better value than if he nominated Adelaide.

I will now check if I can put my opinion about a potential trade on the draft and trade board.

I mean, personally I thought all BF posters were list managers!

I was wrong in that assumption?!

Asides, my original post stands:
I would prefer that Jordan nominates port so we can extract better value than if he nominated Adelaide.

I will now check if I can put my opinion about a potential trade on the draft and trade board.
You can have your opinion, but it's irrelevant as to who Dawson will choose lol.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
You can have your opinion, but it's irrelevant as to who Dawson will choose lol.

I mean, yes. I know this. Hence the preface.

Looking at it logically, I am expecting that he will make a decision once he talks to both clubs.

The fact that he has not already nominate probably means that:

A. Waiting to talk to both clubs to make a decision
B. Is going to nominate Port and waiting for finals to finish
C. Is open to either club in SA and does not want to screw swans.

In those options, reckon it is likely A and maybe B.

Adelaide will need to stump up dollars if they want him because port would be better suited to what he wants.

Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Have noticed a few of your supporters mentioning Marshall. Marshall and a future 2nd rounder. Personally i wouldnt do it but i wouldnt put anything past the swans after we pulled their pants down with Aliir and you will be desperate to offload Dawson off your books. That squeeze is awfully tight down their.

Speaking of having your pants pulled down…

I mean, yes. I know this. Hence the preface.

Looking at it logically, I am expecting that he will make a decision once he talks to both clubs.

The fact that he has not already nominate probably means that:

A. Waiting to talk to both clubs to make a decision
B. Is going to nominate Port and waiting for finals to finish
C. Is open to either club in SA and does not want to screw swans.

In those options, reckon it is likely A and maybe B.

Adelaide will need to stump up dollars if they want him because port would be better suited to what he wants.
Crows have more cap space so can offer more salary than Port, including front loading if need be.

Port are obviously in a premiership window unlike the Crows which is in their favour.

He was & his family are Crows supporters.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Crows have more cap space so can offer more salary than Port, including front loading if need be.

Port are obviously in a premiership window unlike the Crows which is in their favour.

He was & his family are Crows supporters.

Serong was a mad swans supporter... means nothing when playing.

Depends if he wants on field succes now. Crows look to be a minimum of two years away.

Crows will need to offer bigger coin to get him to nominate them.

Looking at tonights game, Port should be going hard for him.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
really good player the Swans would be loathe to lose.
I reckon he has a big money offer to move to one of the Adelaide clubs.
I do realise he is originally from there, but otherwise, why would anyone want to go there.
This is certainly going to be an interesting trade period (when it finally gets here)

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
In a rebuild you are loathe to overpay fo fear it’s one step forward two steps back.

hope he chooses port, but even if he chooses the crows, zero chance 23 gets it done.

Pick 4 will get split and we will get like pick 10 which is what he’s worth. Swans list is good enough and crows pulled the PSD card last year which I know for a fact AFL house was livid about.

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Pick 16 for Dawson if he chooses port is a good deal (academy picks don't matter). He's obviously a player they don't want to lose.
Sam Hayes and pick 16 would satisfy me which I don't think is unreasonable deal for either side. Port might get the nomination as Dawson's preferred club of choice but I doubt they would be so foolish to tank the deal altogether by holding on to an untried ruckman.

What the Swans will be worried about is if Dawson nominates the Crows as then pick 23 will be the best deal they can get.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Or given he’s been part of a young team rise up the ladder he wants to do it again

Not entirely true. Was at the club from 2016. In that time we have only missed finals in 2019 and 2020.

Adelaide look to be a minimum of two-three years off of contending. Could surprise but unlikely.

We have been rebuilding for a while to get to where we are at

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not entirely true. Was at the club from 2016. In that time we have only missed finals in 2019 and 2020.

Adelaide look to be a minimum of two-three years off of contending. Could surprise but unlikely.

We have been rebuilding for a while to get to where we are at
So you’re a young side who missed the finals the previous 2 years and rose this year

Sam Hayes and pick 16 would satisfy me which I don't think is unreasonable deal for either side. Port might get the nomination as Dawson's preferred club of choice but I doubt they would be so foolish to tank the deal altogether by holding on to an untried ruckman.

What the Swans will be worried about is if Dawson nominates the Crows as then pick 23 will be the best deal they can get.

Whilst we've seemingly developed a ruthless side to our dealings in the last year or so, I don't particularly struggle to imagine that pick 4 is on the table if we got your first back on top of Dawson.

Whether that's an angle swans are interested in is another story entirely, especially seeing this draft does seem to drop away a tad after Horne/Callaghan.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
So you’re a young side who missed the finals the previous 2 years and rose this year

I feel like that is missing the point but hey.

Whilst we've seemingly developed a ruthless side to our dealings in the last year or so, I don't particularly struggle to imagine that pick 4 is on the table if we got your first back on top of Dawson.

Whether that's an angle swans are interested in is another story entirely, especially seeing this draft does seem to drop away a tad after Horne/Callaghan.

Is a weird one.

You have Daicos, Darcy, Horne and Callaghan as top four. Outside of those can throw a blanket over the next 10-15 with no real dominant KPPs except maybe Gibcus and potentially Amiss.

With our list structure, need an early twenties best 22 player ideally. Will it happen - probably not.

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

I’ve seen a lot of rhetoric around “Crows will only offer Pick 23 if Dawson nominates them”.

I genuinely don’t think this is the case. If he is coming here, he’s likely to instantly be in the top 3 earners at the club.

I would suggest we would happily offer something along the lines of:

a) Pick 23 and our 2022 2nd rounder
b) Pick 23 and a swap of 2022 1st rounders
c) Picks 23 and 37, plus a sweetener

It’s also very possible (and perhaps even more likely) that Adelaide swing a trade prior to a Dawson deal which nets us a pick in the 12-15 range, which we could then send to Sydney for Dawson.

The situation last year with Hately was very different, as Hately had proven absolutely nothing at AFL level and was not coming across on big money.

I think it’s still 50/50 at best as to whether Dawson nominates Adelaide, but in the event that he does, I think Adelaide will provide something equivalent to about pick 12-17.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sam Hayes and pick 16 would satisfy me which I don't think is unreasonable deal for either side.
Port just can’t trade hayes. Nothing to do with Dawson and his worth we just can’t hurt ourselves too much by trading hayes.

Lycett is a mediocre ruck, prone to slow starts and playing to the level of his opponents. Does some good things but mostly is just average, and he’s 29 and already looks to have sore knees.

Ladhams is a weird mysterious unit who could be anything or nothing from week to week. The worst thing in the world port could do is have him as our sole ruck post lycett knowing we can’t drop him. He would be fat and lazy ten minutes into the new year.

Hayes is contracted. We need to hold onto him.

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I’ve seen a lot of rhetoric around “Crows will only offer Pick 23 if Dawson nominates them”.

I genuinely don’t think this is the case. If he is coming here, he’s likely to instantly be in the top 3 earners at the club.

I would suggest we would happily offer something along the lines of:

a) Pick 23 and our 2022 2nd rounder
b) Pick 23 and a swap of 2022 1st rounders
c) Picks 23 and 37, plus a sweetener

It’s also very possible (and perhaps even more likely) that Adelaide swing a trade prior to a Dawson deal which nets us a pick in the 12-15 range, which we could then send to Sydney for Dawson.

The situation last year with Hately was very different, as Hately had proven absolutely nothing at AFL level and was not coming across on big money.

I think it’s still 50/50 at best as to whether Dawson nominates Adelaide, but in the event that he does, I think Adelaide will provide something equivalent to about pick 12-17.
It'll be interesting, that's for sure. He grew up a Crows fan but you would assume he wants some immediate success so Port is the natural fit. Swans won't really get a choice as it's Jordan's decision with who he nominates but I assume the club's preference would be to secure a young player that plugs any holes in our list. Do the Crows have a surplus of young KPDs or does Kelly's looming departure leave you a bit short?

Back