Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Dawson's reasons for leaving have absolutely nothing to do with the Swans salary cap. He wants to come home to SA.

Agreed, Swans offered him arguably more money than both SA clubs according to reliable media reports.

His reasons for coming home are genuine (as rough as it is for The Swans)

Dawson's reasons for leaving have absolutely nothing to do with the Swans salary cap. He wants to come home to SA.

Do you think Dawson would be homesick if either Port or us (seeing I doubt this is as "up in the air" as the media portrays it) were offering 100-200 k less per year?

Do you think Dawson would be homesick if either Port or us (seeing I doubt this is as "up in the air" as the media portrays it) were offering 100-200 k less per year?

For $100k a year and the cost of living difference between the two cities I can see him being homesick.

$500k a year in SA gets you a lot further than $600k a year in NSW.

Ah12

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
$100 on Crows winning spoon?

So even if finishing 17th you lose? I'll take that up
Your on, i look forward to death riding the franchise for 12 months. Similar to when you open up a Mcdonalds. They insist in you working there for 12 months before you start to cash in on the profits.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm hearing pick 16 is "around the mark" and not a steal. He had a fantastic second half this year so has potential to be an elite player but that's all it is, we are not trying to recruit an already well established elite player.

Well if you think the 18th (after father sons) best kid in the country gets you more potential to be elite than Dawson then I'm all ears... and very excited by our pick 12/14

The Tilt

All Australian
Oct 12, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
He left solely for the same reason Dawson will be and that's salary cap pressure. It had nothing to do with the Swans needing a one on one KPD or whatever sh*t you're trying to peddle.

The other point with Allir trade is that it allowed the Swans to get Hickey. Good as Allir has been for Port, I'd be happy for them to do the trade again (i.e. I'd rather have Hickey than Allir).

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Classic trade period.

Club losing player: He is a gun, sad to lose him
Club getting player: Awesome, we should target him HARD
Club losing player: Are you going to pay him $$
Club getting player: Oh he's going to get PAID like a gun
Club losing player: Awesome, I assume the trade capital will align to his pay and "gun" status
Club getting player:....... nah he has nominated, worth a late second.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Classic trade period.

Club losing player: Awesome, I assume the trade capital will align to his pay and "gun" status
Supposedly all 3 clubs are offering around the same mark of $500K, that is nowhere near what elite player earn.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Classic trade period.

I don't really think that's what is happening here at all. I mean both Port and Adelaide supporters have all admitted he is looking like he could be a "gun" as you say. But on form he doesn't have as many runs in the bank as some other players might therefore his trade value lowers somewhat.

When you look at what similar players have gone for pick 16-20 doesn't seem overs? Someone like Ed Langdon would be a fair comparison who went for essentially a future second and some pick swapping.

Some posters from both SA clubs outing themselves as knowing very little about football in this thread. Ed Langdon at Fremantle wasn't fit to tie Dawson's boots.

Crowmurder

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Supposedly all 3 clubs are offering around the same mark of $500K, that is nowhere near what elite player earn.
Can't speak for the Swans, but the Crows and Port offers are significantly higher than 500k.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some posters from both SA clubs outing themselves as knowing very little about football in this thread. Ed Langdon at Fremantle wasn't fit to tie Dawson's boots.
I could say the same thing about you? Yes, Dawson is a far better kick than Langdon but Langdon is one of the best runners in the AFL and had more runs on the board when he was traded.

Lets not pretend Dawson has had 2-3 elite seasons so far.

Back