Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

PSD was never meant as negotiating/threat method to get lower value of a player.

AFL player movement in general is a mess.
It's intended as an option of last resort for uncontracted players who are not free agents to re-enter the system, with preference given to clubs at the bottom of the ladder framed as equalisation.

That he wanted to go to a club that was already 15th is just how the cookie crumbles sometimes, but it's hardly the worst thing for a club at the bottom of the ladder to get a deal a little bit in their favour from a club nearer to the top. Objectively speaking. It's less desirable when it's your own club obviously 🤣

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.
This is a joke right? Adelaide have been pillaged over the years.

I understand your pain at the moment. All I can say is I hope that you don’t get to the point where most Adelaide fans are where you become numb to players leaving now.

I understand your pain at the moment. All I can say is I hope that you don’t get to the point where most Adelaide fans are where you become numb to players leaving now.
The last 2 seasons Crows have specifically targeted Adelaide raised players and all I hear is how the Crows are going after Rankine and Luko next season. Crows might have lost players but you're still in front of NSW and QLD teams

No joke

Adelaide changed their recruiting strategy as a result of being pillaged, and favoured SA kids
They also have the benefit of being able to get players that want to come home to SA in roughly proportional numbers to their teams.

Without academies Qld and NSW teams don't have the capacity to do either of these things.
All we've been able to do is try avoid Vic metro kids who are seen as greatest flight risk, but have no capacity to favour NSW kids, or get NSW players wanting to come home.

Another highly rated player "going home" just further re-enforces the disadvantage non-traditional markets face.

I do not see why people think these trades have to be rushed.
It not like it been left to 20 minutes of trade period or anything.

It isn't about rushing, this trade has been in the wind for weeks so you'd assume there would already have been plenty of dialogue.

The main benefit for a deal to be struck early - is it gives certainty to all three parties. And allows energies to go elsewhere.

If it's a simple transaction - get it done and move onto other strategies to better your list - perhaps pick swaps etc

No joke

Adelaide changed their recruiting strategy as a result of being pillaged, and favoured SA kids
They also have the benefit of being able to get players that want to come home to SA in roughly proportional numbers to their teams.

Without academies Qld and NSW teams don't have the capacity to do either of these things.
All we've been able to do is try avoid Vic metro kids who are seen as greatest flight risk, but have no capacity to favour NSW kids, or get NSW players wanting to come home.

Another highly rated player "going home" just further re-enforces the disadvantage non-traditional markets face.
Fair rationale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its Official.

Dawson-Web-Cycler-952x592-.png

Have you ever checked the players Adelaide has lost over the years, mostly Victorian mummy's boys, Dawson is a nice player but he's no Dangerfield.

Can understand the frustration from Swans fans, it never feels nice to have a good player leave, a feeling I've become very used to as a Crows fan over the last 10 years, so I have sympathy.

The fact that clubs typically have to accept unders for uncontracted players only makes it a harder pill to swallow. It's just the way it is with the players and nominated club holding all the power.

Back