Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Jordan to learn and copy Blair’s * work ethic, behaviours, training, input, endeavour.

That would be a perfect outcome.
Work matched with talent. It’s a heady mix.

* around here I’m a total non Blair advocate; that said, I’d never ever doubt his work ethic.
There’s a message there somewhere; time to take heed young Jordan.
Bit more than just drug use, the burglary and theft from a teammates house and subsequent guilty plea to criminal charges would have been a big factor.
he stole Nigel smarts Rolex didn't he

sorry for the intrusion but just wanted to say

i think your board should be commended on the stance and punishment you have given jordan de goey some very smart operators working for your club and this decision shows it. first the 10,000 fine is the standard afl punishment in you ****ed up pay the fine. the extra 10k to charity is to get back in the good graces of the general public its tax deductible so he gets it back but it stops everyone flinging s**t at your club which really is a make or break year for a lot of people.

now the absolute smart thing is making him get a full time job as a s**t kicker minimum wage etc from the outside looking in de goey seems to want to coast on his talent and doesn't really care enough could i be wrong maybe but its just an opinion. your club have now thrown it back at him and said look at how privileged you are to be here playing for such a big club in front of 70,000 people most weeks state of the art facilities to help with his every need help with anything he could ever need yet he continues to * up. this month or so of minimum wage full time work will show him what he has to look forward to if he doesn't turn his attitude around and buy in 100%

the other smart thing about all these punishments is the Indefinite suspension great wording by your club really your board has put it all on jordan de goey if he buys in and commits and does all the things he should he plays round 1 or 2 and plays 22 games of football and earns an improved contract if he doesn't and sulks well then you lose him but you don't want players like that around anyway

jordan de goey is approaching a fork in the road in his afl career does he do what dustin martin did and buy in 100% and work hard and do extra training sessions away from the club to get fit (dusty's negative was always his tank but he took up boxing and yoga/meditation in 2017) and achieve what he should from all the talent he has like all pies fans know and still be able to enjoy his off seasons or does he end up taking the harley bennell path and pretty much pissing his extreme talent against the wall the choice is on him but it takes a strong football club and board to do what yours have today you should all be proud other then hiring a minder for jordan you cant do much else you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.

tldr pies made the right call in the opinion of this mad tiger fan

Last edited:
Any truth to this?
2946488a199d7454ddd14eb1f07efceb.jpg

From a Galaxy S8 far far away

Not the best argument unplugged.
Firstly you are comparing criminal offences with a traffic offence.
Secondly if we do accept your argument at what point do we decide the club has a right to intervene.
Swearing in public? Should the club get involved?
Mowing the law very early in the morning or late at night? Should the club get involved?
Downloading torrents, which is theft..a serious crime. Should the club get involved?

You see this is the problem. It's too subjective.
The club should deal with its duty and leave policing to the police.
The legal system's way of dealing with the matter involves a pretty narrow set of considerations that focus primarily on De Goey's conduct. It doesn't take into account the damage that De Goey has done to the club and AFL as brands, nor the playing group which apparently feel that he's betrayed them. De Goey may not have signed up to be a role model but he is a public figure employed and inextricably associated with the collingwood football club. If the club feel that the legal remedies are inadequate then they have a discretion to impose their own discipline imo (which i assume is in every players contract). And this is especially the case when the transgression concerns a significant social problem such as drink driving. The legal punishment for De Goey won't hurt at all, in fact the embarrassment of having his mug plastered all over the papers is probably a much more effective punishment. A club imposed sanction can be tailored to much better reflect the club's and playings groups anger at what he's done and also provides a means by which he can redeem himself in the eyes of the playing group and the broader public. On the other hand, a 6 month license disqualification achieves nothing for a guy in De Goey's position.

I agree with you on this to a degree, it might well be that Jordan is the bad apple and not his mates...

I had a mate growing up that was constantly in trouble and his parents would always look to blame his mates (even when he changed friends circles) but it was his behaviour that often got not only himself in s**t but those with him.

Tell me about it, I had a mate stabbed, lent him my car to see his kids-he went & broke into his old work place, trash it & steal s**t (had cops out the front of my house when I got back from the pub as security had got the licence) then after his father died (after 8 hours of looking after him) he decided to take on the bouncers, cops came, he got thrown in the divvy. No, not on the same night. :) A lot more than that too.

His mum every time was basically like, why did I let him get into those situations!

Seriously?

Traffic offence is a very light way of putting it.

My point was that drugs and fighting can be lethal, none moreso than drink driving. Drink driving is like playing Russian Roulette with not only yourself but every other unsuspecting road user.

Using torrents, etc. whilst illegal and a "serious criminal offence" are hardly going to kill anyone.
i don't think downloading torrents is even a criminal offence, but even if it is I'm pretty sure no one ever in Australia has been prosecuted for it. It's definitely not theft, just copyright infringement. The theft bullshit is movie industry propaganda.

Any truth to this?
2946488a199d7454ddd14eb1f07efceb.jpg

No idea, but it could answer if, and l say if true why the playing group went so hard at Jordan

I may be old school but why does every player need to be a model citizen nowadays? Even minor discretions are amplified to the point where players must feel like they aren’t allowed to have a social life for fear of being scrutinised by the media.

It’s all bullish!t in my opinion.

In JDG’s case sure I agree it was a really really dumb thing to do and required somewhat a response from Collingwood, but why did they feel the need to play it out so publicly and go over the top when it didn’t impact his football? What were they trying to prove?

It seems that all the club cares about is its image and being an appealing business moreso than on field sporting success despite being a sporting club.

The kid can play and I would rather that and someone who partied hard than a PC player who can’t kick a ball to save his life (obviously if the off field shenanigans are effecting on field status then come down on him by all means).

Just think how many past players wouldn’t have had careers if they got the same treatment today.

No idea, but it could answer if, and l say if true why the playing group went so hard at Jordan
It would make him even more stupid then I initially thought

I may be old school but why does every player need to be a model citizen nowadays? Even minor discretions are amplified to the point where players must feel like they aren’t allowed to have a social life for fear of being scrutinised by the media.

It’s all bullish!t in my opinion.

In JDG’s case sure I agree it was a really really dumb thing to do and required somewhat a response from Collingwood, but why did they feel the need to play it out so publicly and go over the top when it didn’t impact his football? What were they trying to prove?

It seems that all the club cares about is its image and being an appealing business moreso than on field sporting success despite being a sporting club.

The kid can play and I would rather that and someone who partied hard than a PC player who can’t kick a ball to save his life (obviously if the off field shenanigans are effecting on field status then come down on him by all means).

Just think how many past players wouldn’t have had careers if they got the same treatment today.
May be it’s his off field and lack of on field commitment has lead to this point of action, and the DUI was the final nail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not a simple traffic offence. It should be considered closer to a criminal offence.

Some idiot not in change of his faculties is steering a hulk of steel around the streets at 60km+ with a capability to cause serious injury and death.

This is no basic traffic offence. It is appalling behaviour that deserves a harsh reaction from the club.
It is a traffic offence.
Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant.
It is a traffic offence.

What an over reaction by the club! Mickey mouse stuff.

Just gong through the sanctions in turn ...

(1) “Jordan will not drink alcohol at least until the season’s end, when this decision will be reviewed.”

As an AFL player there are probably large parts of the year where can’t be drinking anyway. And given there was a road trip from Torquay to Melbourne between his bender and when he blew 0.095, those of us who think an intervention is required for his own wellbeing (and who think the club has a duty of care / responsibility to make that intervention) would probably think a year long alcohol ban isn’t unreasonable action. Unlikely to hurt him.

(2) “Jordan has made a commitment to enlist the assistance of medical professionals to help him improve his decision making.”

That sounds perfectly reasonable and appropriate ... certainly more constructive than most folks get after being busted for DUI.

(3) “Jordan has agreed to make significant changes to his social life and associations, a pledge the club supports and will monitor.”

This sounds too specific to be random or merely punitive. It probably speaks to some of the stuff about DeGoey that’s been going on behind the scenes but we have only heard through scuttlebutt and innuendo.

(4) “An indefinite suspension from AFL selection. When Jordan has convinced his peers and coaches that meaningful change has occurred, and that his standards have risen to those of the group, he will become available for selection.”

I think this is a good move by the club. If they had stated that it’s going to be an X week ban, then it would have been entirely a punitive act. A “Do the crime, do the time” type of thing. Or “say 10 Hail Marys and all is forgiven” type of thing. By making it open ended, it means that he is not automatically absolved. It means he needs to keep taking respinsibility for his actions. And it’s has the added benefit of Collingwood supporters not counting down the weeks.

(5) “A fine of $10,000. Jordan has also offered to make a further $10,000 donation to a charity, a gesture the club acknowledges and supports.”

IIRC that in line with AFLPA negotiated penalties for this kind of thing.

(6) “Jordan will be required to undertake employment away from the club for a period of not less than four weeks. During this time he will train in the evenings with the Collingwood VFL squad.”

This was the real interesting one for me. It’s often lamented that footy players are so disconnected from the world the rest of us live in, where we have 9-5 jobs, where we have responsibilities that go beyond kicking a pigskin around the park for the entertainment of others, and getting paid diddly squat for it. I guess the idea with this is to give Jordan an appreciation of what opportunity he has being an AFL footballer. I haven’t seen Collingwood dish this out before, and on the face of it it seems like a really good idea.

(7) “Jordan will take on a meaningful role with a charitable organisation, a position that will be monitored by the club.”

This is the same penalty that was dished out to Marley Williams after his indiscretion. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Hopefully things turn out much better for Jordan than they did for Marley.

May be it’s his off field and lack of on field commitment has lead to this point of action, and the DUI was the final nail
Maybe the club should tell the full story instead of leaving supporters to guess the possible details surrounding his suspension. Because the general opinion now seems to be that he does not have a good attitude towards training, fitness and is shunned by other players. This is not a sanction imposed purely for a .05 offence, is it?

Not the best argument unplugged.
Firstly you are comparing criminal offences with a traffic offence.
Secondly if we do accept your argument at what point do we decide the club has a right to intervene.
Swearing in public? Should the club get involved?
Mowing the law very early in the morning or late at night? Should the club get involved?
Downloading torrents, which is theft..a serious crime. Should the club get involved?

You see this is the problem. It's too subjective.
The club should deal with its duty and leave policing to the police.
Fuggen hanging offence as far as I'm concerned.
I need my beauty sleep & s**t loads of it!

By the way you trying to excuse DG from being .095 & saying he might not even be pissed, worst comment on thread.:mad:

Pull your head in mate!

Fuggen hanging offence as far as I'm concerned.
I need my beauty sleep & s**t loads of it!

By the way you trying to excuse DG from being .095 & saying he might not even be pissed, worst comment on thread.:mad:

Pull your head in mate!
I swear to god I'll come over to your house with a big can of mortein.
Don't get me started on that again.
I will kill you till it hurts.

Actually forget all that. Might just come over nice and early with my leaf blower instead.

I swear to god I'll come over to your house with a big can of mortein.
Don't get me started on that again.
I will kill you till it hurts.

Actually forget all that. Might just come over nice and early with my leaf blower instead.
I can't help myself.

preview.jpg

The simple reality is that plenty of people in society would lose their job if they lost their licence whether they be truck drivers, tradesmen or people unable to access public transport to get to their place of employment when required. Some workplaces also require employees to undergo random alcohol and drug testing so it's folly to believe that by committing this act and being punished furthermore by the club that he's being treated more harshly than some others in society.

de Goey is actually very fortunate his livelihood doesn't rely on having a licence to drive.

Secondly people taking the view that the clubs measures are draconian are missing the point that footballers are blessed with so many opportunities that people employed in standard forms of work would never benefit from. Our club like all others employ people specifically with the purpose to help them be the best they can be on and off the field and if anything the players are probably to mollycoddled and kept within a bubble outside the reality most people find themselves in.

Of course if they prove themselves good enough to have a sustained career they can achieve for themselves a high standard of living and will also reap the benefits post career whether that be by business opportunities opened up because of their profile, contacts made through the club or goodwill from your average football fan who just wants to be associated with them.

Hell you can have an average career like a Chris Egan and you still might have a club President willing to loan you $10,000 when you find yourself in a spot of bother.

Naturally for all these benefits some conditions outside your simple ability to physically turn up to training or on match day is expected but how is that different to anyone else exchanging services for money?

Unless you're somehow blessed and can get paid for merely sitting at your work desk playing computer games or can call it a day after erecting a single fence post you will have tasks set by an employer that must be completed per day/week/month, expectations placed about the acceptable quality of those completed tasks and conditions set by which the tasks must be undertaken.

If you wish to get paid and keep your job you'll adhere to them.

de Goey is no different in this regard and has signed a contract with his employer that I assume has specific conditions that are expected in relation to his physical conditioning and mental health, behavioural standards and responsibilities towards the football club as a whole.

What people constantly overlook is that de Goey is employed as a professional athlete and with that comes conditions directed by the club when it comes to his physical health and presenting himself in the best possible physical shape in order to perform to his optimum.

This is after all what we are paying him for is it not so how getting highly intoxicated could possibly be seen in line with this club expectation for any footballer during a season is beyond me.

While people might lament this decision by the club because it extends the punishment beyond that of the individual I'd strongly argue that by not taking the same professional approach that most of his teammates seemingly try to adhere to he's already harming what is already a team sport, a team effort and his teammates aren't seeing the best that de Goey has to offer even when he's been out on the playing field with them.

Time to decide Jordan if you want to be part of the team or part of the problem holding it back.

sorry for the intrusion but just wanted to say

i think your board should be commended on the stance and punishment you have given jordan de goey some very smart operators working for your club and this decision shows it. first the 10,000 fine is the standard afl punishment in you ****** up pay the fine. the extra 10k to charity is to get back in the good graces of the general public its tax deductible so he gets it back but it stops everyone flinging s**t at your club which really is a make or break year for a lot of people.

now the absolute smart thing is making him get a full time job as a s**t kicker minimum wage etc from the outside looking in de goey seems to want to coast on his talent and doesn't really care enough could i be wrong maybe but its just an opinion. your club have now thrown it back at him and said look at how privileged you are to be here playing for such a big club in front of 70,000 people most weeks state of the art facilities to help with his every need help with anything he could ever need yet he continues to **** up. this month or so of minimum wage full time work will show him what he has to look forward to if he doesn't turn his attitude around and buy in 100%

the other smart thing about all these punishments is the Indefinite suspension great wording by your club really your board has put it all on jordan de goey if he buys in and commits and does all the things he should he plays round 1 or 2 and plays 22 games of football and earns an improved contract if he doesn't and sulks well then you lose him but you don't want players like that around anyway

jordan de goey is approaching a fork in the road in his afl career does he do what dustin martin did and buy in 100% and work hard and do extra training sessions away from the club to get fit (dusty's negative was always his tank but he took up boxing and yoga/meditation in 2017) and achieve what he should from all the talent he has like all pies fans know and still be able to enjoy his off seasons or does he end up taking the harley bennell path and pretty much pissing his extreme talent against the wall the choice is on him but it takes a strong football club and board to do what yours have today you should all be proud other then hiring a minder for jordan you cant do much else you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.

tldr pies made the right call in the opinion of this mad tiger fan

Great post! I too agree with the harsh but flexible stance the club has made. The problem with this whole thing is my confidence was up for this year given all the off field changes, the club backing the list and identifying issues and addressing them on the training track.

All that confidence has now waned, :'( after all that work the club has done over the summer has now been majorly disrupted! How is this going to effect the playing group? How much faith does the coach have in De Goey now? Surely it has diminished somewhat.

It seems every pre season since the "succession" plan there is something that derails us before the season. Call me superstitious but I reckon we're f****** cursed since 2011:mad: and now this; well it may be premature but I'm ready to kiss this season goodbye, Bucks will be on shaky ground and maybe gone at the end of it and then we truly go into the wilderness and properly rebuild - we'll be the new Carlton:(

(6) “Jordan will be required to undertake employment away from the club for a period of not less than four weeks. During this time he will train in the evenings with the Collingwood VFL squad.”

This was the real interesting one for me. It’s often lamented that footy players are so disconnected from the world the rest of us live in, where we have 9-5 jobs, where we have responsibilities that go beyond kicking a pigskin around the park for the entertainment of others, and getting paid diddly squat for it. I guess the idea with this is to give Jordan an appreciation of what opportunity he has being an AFL footballer. I haven’t seen Collingwood dish this out before, and on the face of it it seems like a really good idea.

(7) “Jordan will take on a meaningful role with a charitable organisation, a position that will be monitored by the club.”
Interesting thoughts but different from how I see it.

Yes we all have different jobs and different rewards. I struggle a bit with this concept of the privileged footballer. De Goey is one to use right now but has a lot of angst associated. I would like to throw up Ben Sinclair as another one to consider in parallel.

These guys get there because they put in a lot of work and then go harder again once there. Yes there are great things associated with the job but also a lot of sacrifice. Sacrifice that I suspect a lot of us would struggle to commit to. Our lack of footy talent isn't the only reason we didn't make it in the AFL. So De Goey is a privileged clown who is making money beyond what we can dream of and living the life. Anyway that's the narrative.

Let's flick over to Sinclair for a moment as another of these privileged young men who are disconnected with the real world. 7 seasons at Collingwood living the life. Should no doubt be set up forever with all that money he made.
Let's guesstimate what he earned. Say $80K first year and $120 2nd. Let's be generous and say he was on $250 K the next 5 years. Means about $1.45M over 7 years of hard work. Would have given say $500K to the taxman over the journey and I would guess his manager would have got something like $70 K. He probable bought himself a nice car and had some pretty good end of season trips. Let's say he spent $40K a year on living expenses, car, holidays and enjoyment .

So that's $850 K gone. Hopefully he has saved the rest and has some investments or a house significantly paid off. He has now to start chasing a 2nd career, maybe studying for a few years or going into a "mundane" 9-5 job like the rest of us. He worries about his brain and the effects the concussions will have down the track. He has had significant physical injuries that may slow him down in the future and stop him being able to work or enjoy the physical pursuits we all take for granted. He had great years playing for Collingwood but also paid a price.

Is he really that much more privileged than the rest of us. There are lots of pros and cons to everyone's work. Some people work really hard towards a goal and get benefits from their achievement. Seems to me we greatly over estimate the benefits these kids receive and trivialise the work and sacrifice they put in to get there. They are in many ways tall poppies and easy taregets.

As for the enforced charity work that just makes me a bit sick really. To me that just trivialises the work people who are involved in these organisations do and is part of this whole idea AFL players need to pay for their privilege. What a stupid idea to force someone to be involved in a charity. Just demeans the whole idea to me.

As for the enforced charity work that just makes me a bit sick really. To me that just trivialises the work people who are involved in these organisations do and is part of this whole idea AFL players need to pay for their privilege. What a stupid idea to force someone to be involved in a charity. Just demeans the whole idea to me.

I understand your sentiment but that's just an absurdly selfish view. The entire point of charity work is to help people, it shouldn't matter how those people are getting help, whether by angelic humans who are willing to spend their free time out of good will, or those forced to do so. At the end of the day the end product is all that matters, and the charity workers' ego's are completely irrelevant.

If his drinking and partying has led him to come to training with a hangover or made him come to training late, or something to that effect then I’m all for punishing him heavily as his actions then are impacting his football.

If so the club should have mentioned it and I would support it. What I don’t like is the club beating their chests about this all and playing it out in a public forum because the PC brigade demand it the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back